Dunlop Pick Shootout! Part 2!

severinsteel

Hey guys, so I made a quick video showcasing some lesser known Jim Dunlop picks, as well as their signature model picks and some old favorites. This is part 1 of two part pick shootout. In this video, I go over some of the picks I am trying out. I wanted to check out all of their incarnations of the Jazz III, as well as some thicker more 'jazzy' picks.

In part 2, I showcase my top 5 picks out of the ones in the first video, and do some playing while talking about why I like each one.

Thanks for watching!

Have you tried out the planet waves black ice line? It is similar to the tortex black feel but has a slightly smoother finish and release. They wear pretty quickly though, my initial dozen are all nubs now (I do pick rather hard and use standard tension on my strings give or take).

I forget who it was over a year ago suggested I try the "lil' red pick" (aka JazzIII red nylon) and man, I am hooked. Love the diminutive size, the grip, the feel, the attack and edge. Love 'em. Can't play ANYTHING else now.

Just sayin'...

tripstan":6nslohq7 said:
Have you ever tried the Jazz III XL ?

I bought some thinking these would be my favorite but I don't use them much because they slip on me. I like the Cool picks better because they have that sandpaper feel to them. Or I just use the regular Jazz III or the Ultex version.

Ventura":29f3zc63 said:
I forget who it was over a year ago suggested I try the "lil' red pick" (aka JazzIII red nylon) and man, I am hooked. Love the diminutive size, the grip, the feel, the attack and edge. Love 'em. Can't play ANYTHING else now.

Just sayin'...

I did the same around the same time, and now I play all Jazz III's and Jazz Tortex. My 15 year collection of other picks is just sitting :LOL: :LOL:

ras1988":7utqspje said:
Have you tried out the planet waves black ice line? It is similar to the tortex black feel but has a slightly smoother finish and release. They wear pretty quickly though, my initial dozen are all nubs now (I do pick rather hard and use standard tension on my strings give or take).

Yes I have tried the Black Ice picks. I really liked them for a while. Then I went all pretty much all Tortex Jazz III's. I think that the Black Ice picks were my transition picks from regular size to the Jazz III size since they are a bit in between in size.

I just did my own shoot-out. Ultex Sharp 1.40mm won, but the Ultex Sharp 1.0 mm gives great string feedback, just the tone is not there. 1.14 has weird tone and 2.0 is great but just too thick (although my backup.

My favorite pick is the ones Guitar Center gives out as demos....anyone know what kind of picks these are? I need to purchase them

Stay tuned for my practice space drink coaster shootout.
(the ceramic ones add mids)
copperq5.jpg

6906814594000p.jpg

images-8.jpg

rocknrolla":3sfaiywc said:
Stay tuned for my practice space drink coaster shootout.
(the ceramic ones add mids)
copperq5.jpg

6906814594000p.jpg

images-8.jpg

Haha, that's a good one :).

In all seriousness, the pick is extremely important. Much more important to the guitar player than cable brand, 12ax7 type, the vast minutiae of stuff we discuss on this forum. It's the link between us and the instrument. I'm going to do part 2 with my top 5 picks, and demo each one. Look for that vid tomorrow for those interested. :).

I am looking forward to your demo.

I am currently trying out Dunlop Jazz III Ultex 1.14, Dunlop Pitch Plack, Dunlop Jazz III XL Red, and Dunlop Jazz III XL Black

Is there a place that sells variety all sizes packs? Say 12 picks diff sizes, shapes, weights? I am constantly f-cking around with pick sizes.... lately i am favouring more of the sharp V types as i have found the angle of my picking hand responded better to those where as the standard rounded edge shape wore down to quick or got away from me.I Like meatier picks as they minimize my tendency to do Wylde squealies on the high strings when i play leads but sometimes slow me down on fast runs. I agree that the right pick is important and probably not played with enough.

Lol at the coaster shootout!.

Kapo_Polenton":2rs3pmem said:
Is there a place that sells variety all sizes packs? Say 12 picks diff sizes, shapes, weights? I am constantly f-cking around with pick sizes.... lately i am favouring more of the sharp V types as i have found the angle of my picking hand responded better to those where as the standard rounded edge shape wore down to quick or got away from me.I Like meatier picks as they minimize my tendency to do Wylde squealies on the high strings when i play leads but sometimes slow me down on fast runs. I agree that the right pick is important and probably not played with enough.

Lol at the coaster shootout!.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... ty-12-pack

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... ty-12-pack

I got the Heavy/Medium one a year or 2 ago. These come with a variety for about $5....

Back