Dylana at 3rd Power Amps to build Satriani his next amp for the tour

311splawndude

"In an interview with Australian Musician [news source], Joe Satriani said he's having a special amp built to replicate Edward Van Halen's sound for the upcoming Best of All Worlds tour."

https://www.vhnd.com/2024/01/15/satriani-having-amp-built-to-replicate-eddie-van-halens-sound/

Some excerpts:

"What I learned from The Howard Stern Show, besides it's still important to rehearse and you can't do gigs without rehearsals...which was that Eddie had specific gear - he really did."

"Every time he goes to hit a harmonic, boom, there it is. And it's low noise, big round fidelity, still sounds organic."

"Now I learned that because of those two (EVH) amps right there. I got those back when Alex and Dave called and asked met to do the Eddie tribute tour...You get all the harmonics, but, man, this [5153] is really small sounding. This is like for modern....'If I was 20 years old and playing modern rock'."

"So I reached out to Dylana Scott at 3rd Power amplifiers, and she is building me what we believe is going to be the amp that does it."

"And so I've been getting clips from Dylana every week, and the stuff that she's building is really amazing."

I don't know why I can't simply copy/paste off that site like I used to be able to do.

Here is the article where he says he and Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth almost played together in Central Park in 2021 and how they asked him to do the tribute thing:

https://www.vhnd.com/2022/12/06/joe...forming-a-new-york-concert-in-august-of-2021/

Last edited:
What does he mean by the 5153 is really small sounding?:confused:
The op didn’t post the whole thing that Joe said. He says that Ed’s tone up thru the very early Sammy years was Marshall and that’s the tone that Sammy liked best and the tone Joe felt he needed.

Also interesting that he said his normal live rig is setup to make the unwound strings sound fat since he pretty much plays melodies all night and not much rhythm. And that wouldn’t work for VH.

In ditching the single head approach for a nice rack system laden with effects, he chose the right amp builder!
zvq2emx.jpg

So why not just find an old Marshall and have Dave Friedman spec it to Ed's amp? The 3rd Power is just gonna be another persons take on EVH when Dave actually knows the insides and every details of that amp. Besides way to many guys out there ala Erik Estrada or Phil X that can cop EVH using Marshalls, Splawns or Friedmans. Not to mention getting some pups ala EVH instead of those Joe model Dimarzio's, that'd probably help.

And small sounding? He must have not explained it very well because regardless of anyone's take on the Peavey and EVH amps, they aren't small sounding by any means. I like Joe but his take on all of this is just kinda weird to me.

Last edited:
So why not just find an old Marshall and have Dave Friedman spec it to Ed's amp? The 3rd Power is just gonna be another persons take on EVH when Dave actually knows the insides and every details of that amp. Besides way to many guys out there ala Erik Estrada or Phil X that can cop EVH using Marshalls, Splawns or Friedmans. Not to mention getting some pups ala EVH instead of those Joe model Dimarzio's, that'd probably help.

And small sounding? He must have not explained it very well because regardless of anyone's take on the Peavey and EVH amps, they aren't small sounding by any means. I like Joe but his take on all of this is just kinda weird to me.

I wouldn’t even contact Dave to waste his time. Splawns new stuff is super kick ass and is road worthy. Estrada has had no problem showing it can get the job done. Suhr’s 68 mkii could also get the job done.

Personally I’m really wanting a quickrod and a Mesa mark 7. I need both like a broken leg but they both sound killer.

^the Quick Rod + Recto together is particularly addictive :yes:

It was weird right? That was my take away.

He definitely didn't explain it very well. I tried to piece it together in my OP with the excerpts, but didn't do a very good job. Everyone really needs to read the article for themselves. If I'm misrepresenting anything - I apologize.

He was basically was saying that the 2 EVH (5153) amps he had were too modern and didn't have the Marshall's big round organic thing. I get some of that as the 5153 can be a bit congested I suppose but the whole interview was goofy. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for the whole thing.

Last edited:
^the Quick Rod + Recto together is particularly addictive :yes:

It was weird right? That was my take away.

He definitely didn't explain it very well. I tried to piece it together in my OP with the excerpts, but didn't do a very good job. Everyone really needs to read the article for themselves. If I'm misrepresenting anything - I apologize.

He was basically was saying that the 2 EVH (5153) amps he had were too modern and didn't have the Marshall's big round organic thing. I get some of that as the 5153 can be a bit congested I suppose but the whole interview was goofy. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for the whole thing.
Yep. I mean you want big old school EVH, dime the controls minus the channel volume on the green channel on the EVH Stealth and it's old school Marshall, Ed's easter egg. Wonder if he's tried that.

Further I don't think the fans really cares all that much for dead on copying EVH's sound, just learn the tunes as correctly as possible and have fun. I remember watching Steve on the first Roth tour which to this day is in my top 5 concerts - those guys sounded massive and Steve's sound was nothin like EVH but those VH tunes sounded fantastic. Alot of it is the attitude your bringing and Steve could do that in spades at that time. I mean Steve has even said, don't try and copy the guy the note for note.

Last edited:
My understanding from the interview was that he wants to get close to the Live Without a Net tone. Ed was basically using the Marshall head as a preamp and then sending it through his FX rack and out to the cabs with HH power amps.

Now, why he can't turn a few knobs on the JVM and get almost dead on is beyond me. I would figure channel 3 orange mode would do the job. Hell, three JVMs, an H9 and the Boss EVH delay would basically put him right there. I can get really close to this with the blue channel of my EVH 5153S and a TC G System.

I really don't get any of this . You have EVH , Montrose, Chicken Foot, Sammy Hagar . Are you supposed to have a rig for everyone of them ?? You can have all the EVH tone you want but Satrian's playing doesn't remotely sound Like Eddie . There's so many people and amps that have the Van Halen tone just pick one and go with it . To have 3rd Power design one for this gig doesn't make any sense to me.

My understanding from the interview was that he wants to get close to the Live Without a Net tone. Ed was basically using the Marshall head as a preamp and then sending it through his FX rack and out to the cabs with HH power amps.

Now, why he can't turn a few knobs on the JVM and get almost dead on is beyond me. I would figure channel 3 orange mode would do the job. Hell, three JVMs, an H9 and the Boss EVH delay would basically put him right there. I can get really close to this with the blue channel of my EVH 5153S and a TC G System.
I don't even care for the JVM and I agree 100%. I feel he is trying to hard but in the wrong ways. But hey, he is a million dollar star doing an Edward tribute - and I'm not :dunno:

First Slash. Now Satch :LOL:

Yep. I mean you want big old school EVH, dime the controls minus the channel volume on the green channel on the EVH Stealth and it's old school Marshall, Ed's easter egg. Wonder if he's tried that.

Further I don't think the fans really cares all that much for dead on copying EVH's sound, just learn the tunes as correctly as possible and have fun. I remember watching Steve on the first Roth tour which to this day is in my top 5 concerts - those guys sounded massive and Steve's sound was nothin like EVH but those VH tunes sounded fantastic. Alot of it is the attitude your bringing and Steve could do that in spades at that time. I mean Steve has even said, don't try and copy the guy the note for note.
Agreed. Don't try to cop Ed's tone 100%. Just play the damn songs with some swing please.

Personally my pick to cop those tones would be an SL68. Dylana makes great stuff and has a fantastic ear. Should be interesting.

As others have stated, I’d also have picked Al Estrada, Phil X, or even that Jim Gaustdad.
( Lord I probably butchered that name )

Back