Easily gigable Combo amps

the rossness

Its been a few years since I’ve been in a band and I want to start playing out again. I want a giging solution that’s easy to transport, doesn’t need to be miked up and has a clean, a boosted 800 dirty tone and an over the top lead tone. What combo amps should I be looking at?

Very pleased with my Marshall Origin 50C; I use an EQ pedal as a tone shaper and boost for a lead tone.

Takes pedals well and has an effects loop that you can enable/disable.

Last edited:
I literally just ordered an Orange Super Crush 100 combo a few hours ago. I have two 5150-III heads with 1x12 cabs but thought a good solid state would be awesome either as my rig or backup. They get great reviews, are cheap, take pedals well, and people seem to think they are very tube like.

I'm going to be the one guy that says it:

Line 6 DT50 combo. Good variety of tones that sound great mic'd up, and can be had cheap in comparison.

Caveat: Power transformers are a weak point. If you're lucky enough to find one with a new/replaced PT or can do it yourself, they're solid.

I use my DSL40 for all our small club gigs and it handles the job well. Dial in a decent clean on channel 1 and use channel 2 on OD 1 with gain on 6 clean boosted with an SD1. They do require a better speaker though.

Peavey Classic 30 and a boost.
The Classic 50 can also be had pretty cheap and is also a good amp.

I saw a Music Man HD130 on CL the other day with JBL E-120's for $700. Probably snag it for less with a cash offer. The speakers are worth that and it is a great amp besides. There are some great combos out there cheap if you have a good strong back to tote it with!

I can't imagine gigging metal music with an amp less than about 50 watts to be honest. I'm not even playing rock music and the drummer can keep pace with a cranked Twin pretty well. I love big iron.

I almost grabbed a Splawn Streetrod 1x12 combo, but I found a Quickrod with a 4x12 for less. It does everything you are looking for pretty much....

Do yourself a favor and get a head, then get a few diff cabs for different situations. Easier to carry as well. High gain combos suck. Clubs/bars have different noise requirements and stage space. Sometimes a 1x12 is plenty. Anywhere you go outside of a townie party you will be mic'ed.

I almost grabbed a Splawn Streetrod 1x12 combo, but I found a Quickrod with a 4x12 for less. It does everything you are looking for pretty much....
I've actually thought about Splawn. I had a QR many years ago and it was loud AF!!!!!!!!!!!!! That said, it is a little bit stiff. I'd need that sag modification, but yes, I've thought about splawn. How's the clean channel?

Do yourself a favor and get a head, then get a few diff cabs for different situations. Easier to carry as well. High gain combos suck. Clubs/bars have different noise requirements and stage space. Sometimes a 1x12 is plenty. Anywhere you go outside of a townie party you will be mic'ed.
So, I have a 5153 50 watt head. I've thought about getting the combo and selling my head if I do. What's this about high gain combos sounding bad?

I've also been toying with the idea of the Laney Ironheart 60 combo. my local GC has an Ironheart. It has this neat articulation I don't get out of my EVH. but there's still something missing that I can't put my finger on. The clean channel is really nice as well, which is a nice suprise.

Back