Ebay seller and descriptions ?

Kidkramer71

So I bought a guitar the other day described as excellent condition.
There were many flaws.
I understand an instrument being used and 30 years old .
I expect some.
However there were large cracks on both sides of the neck pocket.
As well as other things not mentioned.
Do you guys consider this excellent condition ?

Kidkramer71":3kvlqvze said:
So I bought a guitar the other day described as excellent condition.
There were many flaws.
I understand an instrument being used and 30 years old .
I expect some.
However there were large cracks on both sides of the neck pocket.
As well as other things not mentioned.
Do you guys consider this excellent condition ?

Even though if his add says no returns eBay has a 30 day return policy. You can contact eBay and they will help you with the process. I didn't know this until I sold something on eBay and the person wanted a refund after like 25 days.

I haven't bought a used guitar in a while from anyone other than Guitar Center because of stuff like this...

I try to paper the trail: ask specifically about the fret condition (buzz, pits, etc.), the truss rod (does it turn freely in both directions without issue), the neck joint and bridge studs, etc. I literally would give a numbered list of questions for every guitar I'd want to buy.

I tell them that I'm ready to buy at whatever price as long as it'll all good. If they say "no problems!" and it comes with obvious issues, hopefully their written denial of the condition(s) would win me any dispute. I never ran into a situation where someone flat out lied to me. They either eventually disclosed the problem or just didn't respond to my questions, which to me was a red flag.

Well this has never happened to me before.
None of the guitars I bought were ever said to be excellent, yet none were as crappy as this one.
The main issue cracks on both sides of neck pocket.
None of my guitars have or ever had this.
I just trusted the sellers excellent description as just that !
There was no mention of the cracks.

Kidkramer71":ks5mxr2i said:
None of the guitars I bought were ever said to be excellent, yet none were as crappy as this one.
He should have mentioned the cracks. But, 99% of the guitars out there have them, and 99% are just finish cracks that have no bearing on playability. Any guitar that’s been played a bunch over the years will have them. I’ve rarely found a used guitar without them.

Racerxrated":36k8nts7 said:
Kidkramer71":36k8nts7 said:
He should have mentioned the cracks. But, 99% of the guitars out there have them, and 99% are just finish cracks that have no bearing on playability. Any guitar that’s been played a bunch over the years will have them. I’ve rarely found a used guitar without them.
Amazing!
I have played all of mine plenty !
Even worn frets and had them regretted!
No cracks !
I guess I'm lucky ?

Kidkramer71":1ksgvcsa said:
Racerxrated":1ksgvcsa said:
Kidkramer71":1ksgvcsa said:
Amazing!
No cracks !
I guess I'm lucky ?
Not trying to be a smart-ass, I'm just stating my experience with used guitars. They always seem to get finish cracks right at the neck joint. He clearly should have told you this, obviously. So I'm not giving him a pass on it. Even used mint condition (other than the neck pocket finish cracks) custom shop guitars. It's a stress point on the guitar. Just seems to happen quite often in my experience. Still doesn't affect playability. But you have every right to complain and ask for a refund, as he didn't disclose the cracks.

I always ask specific questions as well as more pictures. Condition descriptions are subjective. What is like new to some is lightly used to others.

Racerxrated":1o4er0d8 said:
Kidkramer71":1o4er0d8 said:
Racerxrated":1o4er0d8 said:
Kidkramer71":1o4er0d8 said:
Amazing!
No cracks !
I guess I'm lucky ?
Not trying to be a smart-ass, I'm just stating my experience with used guitars. They always seem to get finish cracks right at the neck joint. He clearly should have told you this, obviously. So I'm not giving him a pass on it. Even used mint condition (other than the neck pocket finish cracks) custom shop guitars. It's a stress point on the guitar. Just seems to happen quite often in my experience. Still doesn't affect playability. But you have every right to complain and ask for a refund, as he didn't disclose the cracks.
I'm not offended .
I asked for opinions.
I certainly get where you are coming from.
I'm not going to take the time to post pictures of my guitars.
I have 14 only one is an acoustic.
None have cracks.
That is just mine.
My newest axe is a late 90's.
Earliest is an 82.
Thanks for your opinion !

Back