Eddie Trunks Top-5 All Time Rock Guitarists'..

midnightlaundry

It's on right now, but what are yours??

There can only be 5. They're might be more technical, but that shit gets old. It's about total contribution and songs in my mind..

EVH has to be #1.
Jimmy Page is in there..
SRV
Satriani
James Hetfield for the machine gun right hand..

I reserve the right to change my mind at any time, and your list is shit.. :D

GO!

1. Gary Moore
2. EVH
3. Randy Rhoads
4. Michael Schenker
5. John Sykes

This is in response to the category rock guitar. Classic rock or metal would be a different list for me.

Malmsteen
Sykes
Macalpine
classic Lynch
EVH

Will vary daily lol....Schon and Moore were almost on the list today.

Here are mine:

1. EVH
2. Jimmy Page
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Toni Iommi
5. Dimebag

So hard. There are so many great guitarists out there.

Hendrix
Gary Moore
EVH
Angus Young
Blackmore

My other favs I wrestled with (mainly Iommi) I considered metal guitarists so this list I was OK with.
Ok fuck it...Fave 5 metal guitarists

Iommi
Hetfield
Tipton
Downing
Dimebag

I think of it as “game changers”. Someone who did something so wildly different in terms of style and technique, and hence so influential:

Hendrix
EVH
Rhoads
Malmsteen
Dimebag

Man, I almost had Dimebag on mine. Was so close. The only reason I don't have Yngwie is because he doesn't have the versatility as much. He is still phenomenal and dig his stuff but his blues album, besides almost encouraging me to drink paint thinner, was not a good representation of blues.

Can't believe I forgot about Hendrix. 'Plenty of people beating that major Pentatonic groove to death today..

He influenced many for sure, but I didn't get turned on to him until latter in life to really influence me..

EVH
Rhoads
Paul Gilbert
Marty Friedman
Wolf Hoffmann

Right now, but I reserve the right to adjust this list at any time

fender126":1r75kjo0 said:
Mostly a personal list, in no specific order:

Tony Iommi
David Gilmour
James Hetfield
Al DiMeola
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Man, I always forget Gilmour but he’s one of the few that really takes you somewhere with those solo’s. He’s hands down the best example of effective, simple phrasing but to try and play it with the same touch and control is very difficult.

skoora":34jdyhgf said:
fender126":34jdyhgf said:
Mostly a personal list, in no specific order:

Tony Iommi
David Gilmour
James Hetfield
Al DiMeola
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Man, I always forget Gilmour but he’s one of the few that really takes you somewhere with those solo’s. He’s hands down the best example of effective, simple phrasing but to try and play it with the same touch and control is very difficult.
This is exactly why I love his playing style. His solos have such a "style" and "feel" to them that I don't get from others. Not that there aren't better players, but with Gilmour it's just a different level if that makes sense.

Probably a wildly unpopular opinion - I don't get Gary Moore. Maybe I just haven't heard enough of him. If you were going to tell me "these 3 songs sum up Gary Moore and why should you like him", what would they be?

I've retyped my top 5 like 3 times. I give up.

Gary changed a lot over the years. I liked the early solo stuff.
Law of the Jungle
End of the World (with intro solo)
Shape of Things
Which is a cover but he kills it

Back