Eddie Trunks Top-5 All Time Rock Guitarists'..

Warren DiMartini will ultimately go down as one of my top 3 (w Page and EVH) as he had a great swing to his playing and had a perfect amount of technical playing and straight riffing (like Randy did) without being overly flashy like Eddie.

-Edit, although not nearly as influential probably as any of those other 3.

Very difficult.

EVH
Jimmy Page
Eric Johnson
Steve Morse
Ritchie Blackmore

xtra:
John Sykes
Michael Schenker
Nuno Bettencourt
George Lynch
Neal Schon
DIO-era Vivian Campbell

Hendrix - first 10 ranks
Ritchie Blackmore
Allan Holdsworth
Richie Kotzen
Fredrik Thordendal
Scott Henderson
Dimebag!!!

I do not get why nobody seems to have Dimebag on his list. He was great.

Vin Diezel":2u521yr3 said:
I do not get why nobody seems to have Dimebag on his list. He was great.

I don't recall Dimebag playing in any rock bands.

Mr Blacktooth Grin is about as metal as it gets. This list wasn't the top 5 METAL guitarists of all time. See the difference?

Vin Diezel":1ifryryt said:
I don't see much of a difference between rock and metal. :dunno:
Dime played bluesy solos, too.

giphy.gif

Sorry, impossible for me to make a Top 5, but here's a list of my favorite guitar players of all times, with primary weight on musicality and innovation over technical skills, though a few of the guitarists on the list are crazily skilled on a technical level as well, in no particular order (not only rock guitarists though, Bill Frisell and Sony Sharrock is/was primarily jazz guitarists, and Nick Drake didn't even play electric guitar and was a folk guitarist:)

Syd Barrett, Nick Drake, Alan Sparhawk, Bill Frisell, Fred Frith, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, Sonny Sharrock, Frank Zappa, Adrian Belew, Adam Jones, J. Mascis

J. Mascis is in my opinion seriously underated and ought to be known by more people (at least guitarists should know him), one of the absolute best rock guitarists ever in my opinion, his solos are out of this world, packed with so damn much emotion it's absolutely mind blowing.

The song in the link beneath here, Dinosaur Jr. - "Raisans", has, in my opinion, the absolute greatest guitar solo ever in the whole of music history, so damn packed with painful emotions, it's like it's ripping shreds directly right into the heart of the listener, or like J. Mascis literally is ripping his heart out right in front of you and making you feel it too.

This is not just yet another boring rock solo, executed per automatic and out of tired old habit, or a mindless wank and smug flashing of motor skills, this is true art and music at it's very primal source and essence, a genuine manifestation of the divine.

Hallelujah!

Praise J. Mascis!

I once was numb, but now can feel
Was deaf, but now can hear
:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln8XsL6veaU

And the short intro solo to this song, Dinosaur Jr. - "Grab It", is another of my favorite solos of his:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW-ngCeORek

My all time single most favorite guitarists though is probably Bill Frisell, but quite a stretch to call him a rock guitarist.

I didn’t look at any posts in this, I want to try to guess what Eddie Trunk said.

Hmm
Ace Frehley
Michael Schenker
EVH
Randy Rhoads
Slash
?

Back