Egnater Clip Collective

bscfo1":2sjkd8b8 said:
John,

Which higher gain module cuts the best for you in a live situation when playing rhythm?

And which one does it best for lead?

I want to buy something higher gain then my SL2 but I don't want something too dark. I like the presence and sizzle of the SL2 but with more gain. Thanks.

Erect, EG3 are killer but haven't used EG5 live yet. I'm sure it will be great. SL2 cuts like a mutha too. I would like the SL2 A to be brightened up a bit more for rhythm as I generally want ryhthm (A) brighter and punchier with the lead (B) smokier and more compressed with a fairly similar gain and identical EQ setting. This is if I'm using the A and B for rhythm and lead - respectively.

Im not John, but Ill chime in. :D

From what my ears tell me, E-Rect doesnt have more gain than SL2. EG5 definitely has the most gain. Channel A of EG5 is basically like Channel B of any other high gain module it sounds to me. Its a monster.

EG5 is my favorite though for the variety of tones available by changing pickups and backing off the volume. That module is f***ing beautiful. I mean that seriously. It goes from playful to complete destruction dependings on picking dynamics, pickup, guitar volume. Amazing. Sorry Im rambling.

Thanks John for the reply. That's true about the SL2. I always want more treble for rhythm. If I add it to taste then the B channel has too much.

I just don't want a lead module that sounds like the Mesa Mark IV that I already have. It's lead tone is very focused and smokey, but to my taste it lacks teeth - no sizzle. That's why I basically want something like the SL2, but with more gain.

And Matt - thanks for chiming in, the EG5 is very high on my list. Maybe the top.

EWSEthan":3ik0s40y said:
Im not John, but Ill chime in. :D

From what my ears tell me, E-Rect doesnt have more gain than SL2. EG5 definitely has the most gain. Channel A of EG5 is basically like Channel B of any other high gain module it sounds to me. Its a monster.

EG5 is my favorite though for the variety of tones available by changing pickups and backing off the volume. That module is f***ing beautiful. I mean that seriously. It goes from playful to complete destruction dependings on picking dynamics, pickup, guitar volume. Amazing. Sorry Im rambling.

I agree, it can do sooooooooooooooo much....classic tones to metal by controlling the gain and/or guitar's volume, etc.

I am hunting for my second module though.....

richedie":1g59iou1 said:
I agree, it can do sooooooooooooooo much....classic tones to metal by controlling the gain and/or guitar's volume, etc.

I still have yet to hear the EG5, let alone any Egnater MOD 50 modules throwing down some high gain metal tones. :no: I've heard clips of the "seminar" head tearing it up but nothing on the MOD 50. Would anyone be willing to post some clips of the top three higher gain modules doing some Mettalica-esque riffs? Think "Constant Motion" by Dream Theater. That's the sound I'm going for. :rock:

I guess I must be one of the few prospective-Egnater customers who will be using it more for metal or heavier progressive rock. :aww:

ruso":3achexkd said:
richedie":3achexkd said:

I still have yet to hear the EG5, let alone any Egnater MOD 50 modules throwing down some high gain metal tones. :no: I've heard clips of the "seminar" head tearing it up but nothing on the MOD 50. Would anyone be willing to post some clips of the top three higher gain modules doing some Mettalica-esque riffs? Think "Constant Motion" by Dream Theater. That's the sound I'm going for. :rock:

I guess I must be one of the few prospective-Egnater customers who will be using it more for metal or heavier progressive rock. :aww:

For Constant Motion Id recommend double tracking the E-Rect and EG5. Or wait for the Super COD. E-Rect and EG5 will both do metal. Its just a preference. What do you think sounds better? Dual Rectifier or SLO? If DR, pick E-Rect. If SLO, pick EG5.

EG5 will do metal easily. I think DRs are rather one dimensional. Heck, an SL2 should do metal fine.......after all it is a hopped up Marshall!

I HOPE they do create a Super COD that is Mesa-esque, that will be on my list.

John Czajkowski":287t7v6z said:
bscfo1":287t7v6z said:
John,

Which higher gain module cuts the best for you in a live situation when playing rhythm?

And which one does it best for lead?

I want to buy something higher gain then my SL2 but I don't want something too dark. I like the presence and sizzle of the SL2 but with more gain. Thanks.

Erect, EG3 are killer but haven't used EG5 live yet. I'm sure it will be great. SL2 cuts like a mutha too. I would like the SL2 A to be brightened up a bit more for rhythm as I generally want ryhthm (A) brighter and punchier with the lead (B) smokier and more compressed with a fairly similar gain and identical EQ setting. This is if I'm using the A and B for rhythm and lead - respectively.

Since there is no separate EQ, I think that is the problem with most modules. I am using an EQ up front now to boost mids/bass, and cutting highs for leads. I am thinking the EG3/4 is a module that is designed as you say....brighter in A for rhythm and darker, smokier in B for lead.

heres a clip of a song i'm in the process of writing today. its just the EG5 channel A and B (single tracked guitar is CHannel A, dual tracked heavier sounds are channel B).

(be nice as its just a song idea...and it is very rough recording so please excuse the mistakes in performances!!)

Eric

Attachments

• new song idea.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,364
aeroic":fkazb08b said:
heres a clip of a song i'm in the process of writing today. its just the EG5 channel A and B (single tracked guitar is CHannel A, dual tracked heavier sounds are channel B).

(be nice as its just a song idea...and it is very rough recording so please excuse the mistakes in performances!!)

Eric

btw that's me playing everything...(drums, guitar, and bass)

aeroic":2dkxdxp2 said:

Eric

Love it! Is that a real kit you are playing? :rock:

ruso":ts0bft4e said:
aeroic":ts0bft4e said:

Eric

What do you think ? ;)

aeroic":2tttuw11 said:
ruso":2tttuw11 said:
aeroic":2tttuw11 said:

Eric

What do you think ? ;)

hehehehehe. its a Roland V-Drum Kit.....TD-10 with the cymbal expansion. The kit that I have set on the TD-10 has taken me about a year to finally get to sound that big. The whole mix of the song is very very small. 4 guitar tracks, one bass track, and two takes at the drums. That's it. No overdubs.

Eric

aeroic":1h17s1fg said:

Eric

and very very very little efx. just a multi-band compressor and verb on the drums, run the bass direct and it goes through a multi-band compressor, and then into Ampex SXV plugin....guitars get rolled off at 150hz...and go through a small amount of verb.

that's all there is to that mix. nuttin

aeroic":1dmhaoma said:
hehehehehe. its a Roland V-Drum Kit.....TD-10 with the cymbal expansion. The kit that I have set on the TD-10 has taken me about a year to finally get to sound that big. The whole mix of the song is very very small. 4 guitar tracks, one bass track, and two takes at the drums. That's it. No overdubs.

I was going to say, either that or you must have one hell of a room with tons of mics to get that sound! ;) So how do you like Cubase? I picked up Logic 8 and am about to throw it out the window. Even on my G5, it chokes when doing midi tracks along with guitar and other recorded tracks. For some reason it doesn't like doing real time processing (Guitar Rig 3 for delay, etc.). I end up having to bounce the guitar tracks in order to keep it from choking.

ruso":22cx12hh said:
aeroic":22cx12hh said:

I was going to say, either that or you must have one hell of a room with tons of mics to get that sound! ;) So how do you like Cubase? I picked up Logic 8 and am about to throw it out the window. Even on my G5, it chokes when doing midi tracks along with guitar and other recorded tracks. For some reason it doesn't like doing real time processing (Guitar Rig 3 for delay, etc.). I end up having to bounce the guitar tracks in order to keep it from choking.

Well I have been a cubase user since a VERY LONG time ago. Tried Logic, Pro Tools, etc etc. Cubase is where its at for me. I have 3 UAD-1e cards for off CPU plugins. I use a dual cpu dual core G5, and its awesome!!! Cubase is my fav sequencer. Everything "just works" :).

Eric

Back