Engl Fireball 60 help please!

bananaladonpcp

Hey everyone! My buddy gave me a Fireball 60 yesterday and it is in pieces. I got everything back together except for the transformer. He sent it off to get fixed because it stopped working and the tech unsoldered the transformer and didn't mark any of the wires so now I don't know which goes where. I opened up my Fireball 100 but the colors are different :/ If anyone has a Fireball 60 can you please take a close up picture of how the transformer is wired in? I would appreciate it very much!!!!!! Thank you! :rock: :rock:

-Alex

I emailed them about it and they told me to bring it to a authorized engl tech. If it was wired up I would easily be able to find the problem that the amp had. I don't feel like paying to ship the amp or driving it to the place just to pay some guy to wire it up :/Hopefully someone here on Rig-talk will help me out! I also posted a question on the unofficial engl forum too.

-Alex

Ok I got some pictures of it and got her all wired up! Not sure exactly what it is wrong with it yet. I haven't done any testing of any kind besides changing tubes and biasing. Sounds like a robot. The distortion is square as hell and the amp is producing 3 different octaves at the same time and sounds super weak like the cable isn't plugged into my guitar all the way. Before I start looking at shit tomorrow does anyone have an suggestions to what it might be or where to start? There's no obvious problems like blown caps or fuses or burnt resistors. Thanks guys!!

-Alex

oh that problem is very common do this and this and this and problem solved!!!

Get real man, take the amplifier to a technician who can put it on a bench and has access to schematics. even better ship it to a certified engl service center. There is nothing that can be done as far as troubleshooting over the internet, especially if you're describing the problem from a tonal standpoint of a musician and not as a technician. Thats a joke.

Pay someone who knows what they are doing or take a risk at killing yourself and ruining the amplifier (further) - completely up to you.

glpg80":17fqqwgr said:

Get real man, take the amplifier to a technician who can put it on a bench and has access to schematics. even better ship it to a certified engl service center. There is nothing that can be done as far as troubleshooting over the internet, especially if you're describing the problem from a tonal standpoint of a musician and not as a technician. Thats a joke.

Pay someone who knows what they are doing or take a risk at killing yourself and ruining the amplifier (further) - completely up to you.

Truthfully I would rather let this thing collect dust in the closet then pay for shipping to get it looked at by a engl tech. Oh BTW turns out it was the transformer putting out erratic voltages. Contacted engl with that and they told me where to buy a new transformer. Apparently it is a common thing on the fireball 60's. A quick run through with a volt meter and some friendly advice can get you far. Or you can just send it off. Saved myself some money by looking at it and got some PM's about where to look. So yeah I got real. Thanks though buddy :D

-Alex

bananaladonpcp":3lxvlo6o said:
glpg80":3lxvlo6o said:

Truthfully I would rather let this thing collect dust in the closet then pay for shipping to get it looked at by a engl tech. Oh BTW turns out it was the transformer putting out erratic voltages. Contacted engl with that and they told me where to buy a new transformer. Apparently it is a common thing on the fireball 60's. A quick run through with a volt meter and some friendly advice can get you far. Or you can just send it off. Saved myself some money by looking at it and got some PM's about where to look. So yeah I got real. Thanks though buddy :D

-Alex

A quick run through with a volt meter and friendly advice and a slip of a probe can also get you killed - i care more about the users than amplifiers. This is the internet, not the first time someone described a problem with tonal characteristics instead of posting voltage measurements. Troubleshooting 101 - measure VCC and ground and trace them out. you're playing with sections of the amplifier that draw arc's on meter probes. Had you knew this you wouldnt be posting a thread about it :dunno:

Stay safe.

Back