Ever fall out of love playing guitar?

Mailman1971

I played like a mad man. From 1982 to 1990.
Would skip school to play. Joined the navy. Got married. Had kids. I stopped for bout 10 years.
Came home after serving 20. Had my best bud bring his drum kit over and we jammed like rock stars. Like 8-10 hours every Saturday. We made videos. Posted. It was super fun!
But being honest it got burned out. Jams became less frequent. I think I played guitar 3 times in 2 years. Zero desire. He took his drums home 2 years ago as well.
Was wondering if anyone else went thru this? I’ve had tons of kick ass amps. Guitars.
Just walk by them. Rather watch South Park. Haha

Thoughts? I hope to respark the flame. Still got some cool gear left. Sold most.

I played non stop from 7th grade until I was 21 years old. Didn't touch a guitar at all for over 20 years, when I got married my wife never even knew I was out on the road in my younger years trying to secure a record deal, she never knew I played it never came up.
I just happened to go to a BBQ with her back in 2001 and the owner of the house played.
I picked up his strat and all of this "stuff" just started flowing out of me. My wife came in the room and said 'what the hell is this ? you play?"
Now I'm gigging again in a "Classic rock band" "honey I'm getting the band back together!" what every wife wants to hear LOL
so yes , even in 2015 I had some sour experiences trying to get some bands going and I sold almost all of my gear, but I came back around again
so yes :)

Definitely lost the fire over the last few years. Used to play every spare chance I got and could get sucked in for hours. My wife used to come into my room and say...you know you've been playing for like 5 hours. I keep buying new amps and actually enjoy the experience more than playing these days. The anticipation and excitement of something new and then learning the amp. Still playing, but just 20 minutes here, and hour there....maybe 5-6 hours a week.

Sure absolutely. After leaving Nashville and playing professionally and returning to “ the real world”, it was hard for me to really get into it again. Life happens, got married, focus on my career etc, wasn’t much left of me for playing guitar. Until, I refocused myself and got out of “just playing guitar”, and got heavily into recording and mixing. Changing things up is what brought my passion back, and quite honestly getting into recording and mixing made my passion even more obsessive than it ever was. So that’s what worked for me to get back into it, I just simply had to do more than just “play guitar”.

I quit twice. Not because I lost interest but because of life. First band I was in was all 80’s cover music. Always more interested in writing my own music second band we recorded a album life got in the way I left. Didn’t play for nearly 10 years.
Bass player from cover band as good friend. He brought over a 4 track and a drum machine and I was off and running. Put a project band together and did a cd. Then had a bunch of member changes and it fell apart.
Along comes Rona virus and lots of spare time watching YouTube and seeing all the younger guys doing home recording and all the new gear I pulled out my guitar and started playing again and buying gear.
Just noodling around at home now. Planning on getting a computer to start writing again.
Some old band mates interested too. So we will see how it goes.

I guess the key to me is writing and most importantly having fun. There are days I pick up my guitar. And it flows out. Other days nothing sounds good. So I just go with it.

I played shows from 2003-2008 got divorced in 2010 Met my now wife as i was going through my divorce. Stopped playing from 2010-2016 & started playing again. I mostly play when my wife watches her favorite Hockey team on TV. Guitar is just something i do, it's something i've always done since i was 13 years old. i have considered selling my stuff all the time & then i buy more or trade for more. I'm sure when i'm in my 50's i'll probably slow down & only play acoustic.

Awesome story. Lot people never knew I played.
Damn near same situation. Some party. Wife’s friend. This was when I wasn’t playing. The son of the hosts was noodling / struggling to play. I asked ‘can I give it a shot?’’
He was about 12. Handed me the guitar. I went into all these riffs. Scales. His eyes thought were going to pop out his head. Haha
He had a cheapl guitar. Little combo amp. Ended up giving this kid lessons for bout year. This was like in the middle my first 10 year no playing. Made me smile seeing him pick up things quickly. Reminded me when I was his age.

I played shows from 2003-2008 got divorced in 2010 Met my now wife as i was going through my divorce. Stopped playing from 2010-2016 & started playing again. I mostly play when my wife watches her favorite Hockey team on TV. Guitar is just something i do, it's something i've always done since i was 13 years old. i have considered selling my stuff all the time & then i buy more or trade for more. I'm sure when i'm in my 50's i'll probably slow down & only play acoustic.
Yeah I hit 50 this year. Still got a full stack. My Prs Archon 100 head. Two lynch 4x12 lynch box cabs. It’s huge sounding. But I never play it. Still got the ESP Kamikaze Steve K gave me. Think that’s it for me. No desire for more gear when I don’t play them. I have a custom made EVH black white stripe reliced. Sure I could get good cash out it. But I like it. Just never play

Nope. Not in the least. Life has definitely gotten in the way of me being as productive as I’d like to be, but I still feel as excited to play now as when I first started. Even if it’s just a little 30 minute “afternoon delight” where I can sneak it in, the still love it.

Yeah I hit 50 this year. Still got a full stack. My Prs Archon 100 head. Two lynch 4x12 lynch box cabs. It’s huge sounding. But I never play it. Still got the ESP Kamikaze Steve K gave me. Think that’s it for me. No desire for more gear when I don’t play them. I have a custom made EVH black white stripe reliced. Sure I could get good cash out it. But I like it. Just never play
I would love to hear those cabs. I Have a PRS Archon 100 watt, A Soldano Hot Rod Avenger 100 watt, I also have a Splawn Nitro & a Peavey Ultra Plus 120. I only own 1 cab which i'd like to trade or sell. I have 5 Les pauls, a Warmoth that i built with my Friends & a Taylor 310SE Acoustic that i got in 2001 or 2002 which is mint.

Like many have said, and I've experienced the same. Between about 15 years old, and up into my late 20's/early 30's I was all about playing. It wasn't uncommon to have a guitar in my hands for 6 hours a day, just hungry for it. Never played out, or professionally but I was always playing at home and doing the "garage band" thing at somebodies house nearly every weekend. Was asked several times to join bands, but being the introvert that I am.. never could muster up the guts to do it. Probably one of my greater regrets, honestly. Then life gets in the way. I got away from playing, and ended up selling all my gear. Big mistake, because when I came back to it, it cost me dearly. LOL I never really lost the drive to play, but priorities shifted. Now I'm 52, and over the past 10 years or so I've been blessed with the means to aquire some cool stuff and keep the fire alive. Granted, its not the raging fire it used to be, but I don't think I'll ever give it up completely.

For me, this gear chase I’ve been on since 2009 or so has kept me excited to play. For 20+ years prior, I looked at my cover band gigs as a part time thing, and never picked up the guitar in between gigs save for just going over stuff at home if we had a month off. It was a job for extra cash + fun. But since I started the gear/tone chase it became more enjoyable to play out, rehearse. Now, I don’t play out anymore (get asked to occasionally) but my gear sounds so good that it’s more fun than ever, especially since I’ve built a nice W/D/W rig. I try to play 30-45 minutes every day, and when the time is right I’ll let the monster loose for a while(72 SuperTrem at volume).

Sometimes I feel like I am playing because I feel like I have to but with rotator cuff surgery on the way in a little over a month, I am not looking forward to having the choice to play taken away from me for a while. The break will give me mental reset on playing I hope.

Yes! and fell in love with playing drums.... eventually came back to guitar and love both now but am more of a natural on guitar. I'd say my drumming is basic and my guitar playing is at a much higher level.

never. i made sure "life" didnt get in the way of doing things i love by not getting married and having brat kids. last few years ive spent hours a day learning to record and now im finally getting decent enough on drums where i can start my one man band.

Buy a new guitar and make it your new mistress. It may not rekindle any love but it‘ll provide some short term lust. After that wears off, throw her back on the street (reverb, classifieds, eBay).

I played like a mad man. From 1982 to 1990.
Would skip school to play. Joined the navy. Got married. Had kids. I stopped for bout 10 years.
Came home after serving 20. Had my best bud bring his drum kit over and we jammed like rock stars. Like 8-10 hours every Saturday. We made videos. Posted. It was super fun!
But being honest it got burned out. Jams became less frequent. I think I played guitar 3 times in 2 years. Zero desire. He took his drums home 2 years ago as well.
Was wondering if anyone else went thru this? I’ve had tons of kick ass amps. Guitars.
Just walk by them. Rather watch South Park. Haha

Thoughts? I hope to respark the flame. Still got some cool gear left. Sold most.

I haven't played in probably a year. My problem is that unless I have a project, band or something that provides a goal, I don't have the desire to play. I need the creative piece to drive me so noodling to stay in shape just doesn't thrill me.

Having tried to get a project going a number of times over the last number of years, and fail (commitments are hard for people) coupled with the fact that I'm almost certainly making move to another state, I'm even selling off some gear, even things that I hold near and dear. Granted, I'm not leaving myself gearless, but letting my D60/D412 go hurts my heart and brain... oh, also, my hearing is shot including some fairly serious tinnitus which means my mixing days are over so some of that gear is going too.

All that's to say, I get it...

Back