EVH 4x12 cab wiring

Pretty sure it's series/parallel. It's been a while since put new speakers in my old (now gone), but the stock speakers are 16 ohm, actually labeled 15 ohm, there is one output jack and it's marked 16 ohm.

I've owned a few of those cabs ( to get the speakers :D )
They are wired like this.
Dave Friedman confirmed in his sub forum that he wires his cabs like this as well.
I've tried all the different wiring schemes.
I had multiple 4 x 12's, with all the different wiring schemes, lined up and switching between them with an Ampete switcher, and there is no doubt that this wiring scheme is the way to go.
Dave and Eddie know tone. This is how they do it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• Friedman 4x12 Cabinet Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Friedman 4x12 Cabinet Wiring Diagram.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 6,579
fusedbrain":hoawc5yo said:
Dave Friedman confirmed in his sub forum that he wires his cabs like this as well.
I had multiple 4 x 12's, with all the different wiring schemes, lined up and switching between them with an Ampete switcher, and there is no doubt that this wiring scheme is the way to go.
Dave and Eddie know tone. This is how they do it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks. I assumed they were parallel-series due to how high gain the amp is, but I wasn’t sure.

Yeah, I also prefer parallel-series in most situations. The time I haven’t is when I compared with a plexi. Then I preferred the more vintage response of the series-parallel.

So you guys are saying that parallel-series and series-parallel are different?

If all speakers are 16 ohms, then the resulting overall ohms of the cab is 16 regardless right?

In series-parallel each 1/2 half has the 2 x 16 ohm speakers wired in series for 32. Then when each of those sides (pairs) are wired together in parallel that knocks it back down to 16 ohms. No?

So how is parallel-series different? Each side pair wired in parallel together so 2 - 16s give you 8 ohms which are then wired to the opposing pair on the other side to bring it back up to 16 ohms? And you are saying THAT is what sounds better (for these EVH cabs)?

311splawndude":liwfjsl5 said:

If all speakers are 16 ohms, then the resulting overall ohms of the cab is 16 regardless right?

In series-parallel each 1/2 half has the 2 x 16 ohm speakers wired in series for 32. Then when each of those sides (pairs) are wired together in parallel that knocks it back down to 16 ohms. No?

So how is parallel-series different? Each side pair wired in parallel together so 2 - 16s give you 8 ohms which are then wired to the opposing pair on the other side to bring it back up to 16 ohms? And you are saying THAT is what sounds better (for these EVH cabs)?
Yes, the result is 16 ohms regardless of whether it’s wired series-parallel or parallel-series. The difference is in tone and response. Series-parallel is a bit more mid forward and more vintage in response and has more perceived gain. Parallel-series has more low end and top end and responds tighter and cleaner. IMO it’s not as subtle of a difference as you would expect. I recently compared this with my Natas and Plexi. The Natas preferred parallel-series and the Plexi preferred series-parallel. My EVH stealth was less picky about it but preferred parallel-series. The differences between the wiring was most evident with the Natas and Plexi. Even a non-guitar player in my house noticed the difference in my tone when I was comparing. It’s pretty interesting how that can affect the tone.

fearhk213":1jqb4yeo said:
311splawndude":1jqb4yeo said:

Yes, the result is 16 ohms regardless of whether it’s wired series-parallel or parallel-series. The difference is in tone and response. Series-parallel is a bit more mid forward and more vintage in response and has more perceived gain. Parallel-series has more low end and top end and responds tighter and cleaner. IMO it’s not as subtle of a difference as you would expect. I recently compared this with my Natas and Plexi. The Natas preferred parallel-series and the Plexi preferred series-parallel. My EVH stealth was less picky about it but preferred parallel-series. The differences between the wiring was most evident with the Natas and Plexi. Even a non-guitar player in my house noticed the difference in my tone when I was comparing. It’s pretty interesting how that can affect the tone.
Yeah, I agree ......the difference is not subtle....
Here's a different way to look at it:
The modern wiring is 2 x 16 ohm speakers in series ( 32 ohms ) in parallel with 2 x 16 ohm speakers in series ( 32 ohms ) for a total load of 16 ohms.
The vintage wiring is 2 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel ( 8 ohms ) in series with 2 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel ( 8 ohms ) for a total load of 16 ohms.
I believe the modern wiring scheme is superior, but the vintage scheme can sound .. well...vintage i guess.
YMMV

EDIT: LOL it looks like fearhk213 is saying that what I have labeled as "Modern' wiring sounds "vintage" , and vice versa.. :dunno:
LOL...This is like trying to describe colors to a blind guy ......I think we agree on this, but have our terminology all mixed up. ( probably me :doh: )
All I can tell ya is those are the 2 main wiring schemes for 4 x 12 cabs, they sound very different, and I am 100% sure that I like the " modern" wiring ala EVH and Friedman the best.

Attachments

• Modern 4x12 wiring_16ohm.jpg
    Modern 4x12 wiring_16ohm.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 5,413
  • Vintage 4x12 wiring_16ohm.jpg
    Vintage 4x12 wiring_16ohm.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,631
fusedbrain":1grytyha said:
fearhk213":1grytyha said:
311splawndude":1grytyha said:

Yeah, I agree ......the difference is not subtle....
Here's a different way to look at it:
The modern wiring is 2 x 16 ohm speakers in series ( 32 ohms ) in parallel with 2 x 16 ohm speakers in series ( 32 ohms ) for a total load of 16 ohms.
The vintage wiring is 2 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel ( 8 ohms ) in series with 2 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel ( 8 ohms ) for a total load of 16 ohms.
I believe the modern wiring scheme is superior, but the vintage scheme can sound .. well...vintage i guess.
YMMV

EDIT: LOL it looks like fearhk213 is saying that what I have labeled as "Modern' wiring sounds "vintage" , and vice versa.. :dunno:
LOL...This is like trying to describe colors to a blind guy ......I think we agree on this, but have our terminology all mixed up. ( probably me :doh: )
All I can tell ya is those are the 2 main wiring schemes for 4 x 12 cabs, they sound very different, and I am 100% sure that I like the " modern" wiring ala EVH and Friedman the best.
Yeah the diagram in your first post and the top one in your other post is what I hear as the “modern” one too, so we’re on the same page :D.

fusedbrain":1hivny6z said:

Yeah it's confusing. Looking at pics on line of the EVH 4x12 cab online, it's not wired like that diagram...it's wired the other way(the vintage way on your next post), clear as day...I wired mine like this too(except the jumper wire is on the bottom two speakers:)

EVH_5150-III_4x12Cab_Black_3_1400x.jpg

lv8vmurlkcjqt7nfojby.jpg

Mine, only difference in wiring from the EVH cab is the jumper wire is on the bottom two speakers(which is like your vintage diagram:)

39161834850_c927bf7336_b.jpg

So I'm confused, the Friedman Cab and the EVH cab are not wired the same then?

Purpleibby":1j8a2lor said:
fusedbrain":1j8a2lor said:

Yeah it's confusing. Looking at pics on line of the EVH 4x12 cab online, it's not wired like that diagram...it's wired the other way(the vintage way on your next post), clear as day...I wired mine like this too(except the jumper wire is on the bottom two speakers:)

lv8vmurlkcjqt7nfojby.jpg

Mine, only difference in wiring from the EVH cab is the jumper wire is on the bottom two speakers(which is like your vintage diagram:)

Well.. yeah, no doubt the EVH cab in the pic is wired like the second diagram.
I'm still pretty sure my EVH cabs were wired like the first diagram, and I think they also had red and black wiring.
Damn, it's been a while....The empty cabs are in the garage ( I have 2 cabs, but I just swiped the speakers out of 'em )
Now I gotta go look and see what the wiring harness looks like :doh: :doh: :doh:
So..... to the OP, who the fuk knows how they wire the EVH cabs now I guess :confused:
Bottom line is:
There's 2 ways to wire up a 4x12.
They sound different.
Try em both and see what one sounds better to you.
I like #1 :thumbsup:

Purpleibby":21lgukh3 said:
fusedbrain":21lgukh3 said:

lv8vmurlkcjqt7nfojby.jpg

Thanks for posting this :thumbsup:

fearhk213":f0crra0s said:
Purpleibby":f0crra0s said:
fusedbrain":f0crra0s said:

lv8vmurlkcjqt7nfojby.jpg

Thanks for posting this :thumbsup:

NP! So I have mine wired the "vintage way" I guess? Series/Parallel? I'm definitely curious about trying the other way as well! Thank you too! :thumbsup:

question..
if im going to use 2 different speakers in a 4x12...say 2 v30s and 2 k100s both 8 ohms wiring in vintage..
does it matter if a v30 and a k100 are paired or should i pair v30 with the v30 ..k100 with k100
:unsure: dont think it would matter ..but thought id ask the experts for their opinions in case there is some voicing or tonal thing

thanks

I doubt that there would be any difference to the sound but the only way to know is to try both and compare. might not be worth the effort unless you are using spade connectors. Electronically it should not make a difference

Great...another tonal issue I’m gonna obsess over at some point. 😂 I had no idea this was even a thing.

Back