Fast delay vs reverb... try this!

cvogue

So I was having a discussion with the guitarist from my old band, talking effects. I use a Wampler Ethereal for ambient delay (about 300ms) and reverb, sounds really good.

But he was saying the secret sauce in his old rig was to have a delay set very fast with one repeat, like 80ms or less (less than what you'd call a slapback delay). Said it made his DSL 40DC sound bigger, and it did sound really good.

This guy does it with his rig, kinda fattens up the sound:

Seems like it doesn't take the place of reverb really but it does beef up the overall tone.

I tried it out, have my full Street Rod rig at the house until next band practice (gig last night).

It's subtle but it absolutely works! 80ms delay, one repeat, mix at 50%. I like the way my rig sounds (a lot) and I did this, it sounded better, played a bit and then turned it off and thought "Wow, that's, uh... not quite as good!"

I still use the Ethereal for longer delay and reverb. This trick is reminiscent of reverb but doesn't replace it IMO.

Just used a slot in my multi effect unit at the end of the chain so a nice freebie improvement!

cvogue says, give it a shot. :cool:

Back