Favorite boost/od for high gain amps?

I've own the Xotic BB Andy Timmons and AC booster and imho they are amazing to add "cream", warm and sustain to a gainy sound, but they don't work well just for the rhythms. My question is how does the rc booster behave instead?
I don't use the Xotic AC Booster pedal always turned on for crunch rhythm like most of the other guitarists who use overdrive pedals turned on all the time for crunch rhythm guitar. I'm not a fan of that sound, but I respect the other players who do that. That doesn't work for me. I use the Xotic RC Booster pedal as a volume boost for leads only.

Since I use the Xotic AC Booster pedal for an amp with its own gain channel as an overdrive pedal for leads and I use the Xotic RC Booster pedal for volume boost with the MI Audio Crunch Box distortion pedal as a primary distortion sound for a clean pedal platform amp setup. You would have to try the Xotic RC Booster pedal with your guitar rig to determine if it works for you.

I'm also confused as why you would a guitarist use a compressor for high gain lead guitar? That's not what I would use a compressor for.

Last edited:
Keeley modded SD-1 for me

Can also vouch for Xotic AC Booster; another one of my faves

Pepers dirty tree. Nothing does what that pedal and amp combination does. It’s the best there is for high gain rhythm to me.

My buddy sent me one of these to check out and i've still never even plugged it in; been sitting on it for months now 🤦‍♂️

Keeley modded SD-1 for me

Can also vouch for Xotic AC Booster; another one of my faves

My buddy sent me one of these to check out and i've still never even plugged it in; been sitting on it for months now 🤦‍♂️
I have wanted to try one of those Dirty Trees, let me know what you think

I have wanted to try one of those Dirty Trees, let me know what you think
I have one, a fortin grind, and an original TC integrated preamp. I prefer the original TC, but the pepers is 1) a lot cheaper, 2) more readily available, 3) less of a pain in the ass since you don't have to mess with the unique power supply issue. If price and convenience are no matter, the TC, otherwise, the dirty tree. I have 3 rack drawers of overdrives and boosts and I could live with just a tc/pepers and the fortin modded tube screamer and not feel too fucked. I would toss in an original tubescreamer or the Airis aggressive screamer and an sd-1 along with a Klone and between those 5 pedals I would basically have it all covered for what I play.

I use the Chiron and 808 from Wayne, and it does what I need. I was using just a Bogner Blue pedal for a boost and I really liked it. But I like this setup way more. I am trying to scale down my pedalboard to the absolute bare minimum. I finally am getting a Red Witch Delay, and I will be done.

I use the Chiron and 808 from Wayne, and it does what I need. I was using just a Bogner Blue pedal for a boost and I really liked it. But I like this setup way more. I am trying to scale down my pedalboard to the absolute bare minimum. I finally am getting a Red Witch Delay, and I will be done.
The chiron is great and that's what I have as my Klone of choice. I've been in the same mood where I am staring at a 60 slot rack that until recently was full and thinking "alright, so I have issues"

I have one, a fortin grind, and an original TC integrated preamp. I prefer the original TC, but the pepers is 1) a lot cheaper, 2) more readily available, 3) less of a pain in the ass since you don't have to mess with the unique power supply issue. If price and convenience are no matter, the TC, otherwise, the dirty tree. I have 3 rack drawers of overdrives and boosts and I could live with just a tc/pepers and the fortin modded tube screamer and not feel too fucked. I would toss in an original tubescreamer or the Airis aggressive screamer and an sd-1 along with a Klone and between those 5 pedals I would basically have it all covered for what I play.
I agree having owned all those ones myself, but I refuse to let practicality influence my gear choices if the tone is not as good lol, so that made the Dirty Tree and Fortin 33 & Grind long gone for my needs having also the original TC. I found those clones (and most current made pedals) just have this inherent filtered/sterile sound that takes away my enjoyment of the amps I use them with. Like you, I could really be fine with just my Klon centaur, Fortin TS808 and Tamura TS808 that I think improves where I felt stock TS’s are lacking, where the Fortin TS’s are more their own thing (that I think is killer)

Depends on the amp (and what my intention is), TBH.

5150, I like a TS808. I like the TS808 way better than the OD808. The TS808 is narrower, more mid-focused, and more compressed. If I want a TS-style boost, I want it to do the TS thing. I don't want it to be "transparent". The OD808 isn't transparent, but it's more transparent than the TS808.

Recto, I like a Wylde Overdrive. It's like a slightly more over-the-top harsh SD-1... but a Recto kinda benefits from that. But an SD-1 works as well. I do like a Recto boosted with an 808 as well, though.

If I want something slightly less mid-focused or that cuts less low-end, I kinda like the Precision Drive with the attack and brightness set low. Otherwise, that pedal is clank-city. I'd really like to try a Maxon OD820 or VOP9 for that. I suspect those would have a more usable range in the tone knob rather than being super harsh 75% of the way.

Fortin Hexdrive, Airis Savage Drive V3, Lichtlaerm Aesahaetter, Deadweald Dualiity, Ibanez Super Tube STL (not the ST9+ Pro)
Yeah I made a video featuring this Modern Boost some months ago when I had the Marshall JMP 2203 and it was amazing.

For my Tremoverb / Ceriatone Leviathan I will first the the OD 808 and a TS9 clone.

I just finished up my version of the TC Pre Amp ..... AKA Griffin Analog I.P.A. 115.00 shipped

1694559076760.png

Back