Favorite boost/od for high gain amps?

1694437815973.png

SD1 with a good buffer pedal in front to recover some freq lost from the bad buffer of the SD1.

Maybe part of the reason why I like the SD1 so much for boosting so many different amps is that my signal chain, most of the time anyway, is guitar -> Digitech Drop -> Polytune 3 with the built in Bona Fide buffer -> Suhr original Koko -> SD1 -> Boss CE5 -> front of the amp.

SD1 with a good buffer pedal in front to recover some freq lost from the bad buffer of the SD1.
Don't mean to derail but I've always wondered about this. If the buffer pedal is in front of the SD1, then how does it help the 'bad buffer of the SD1'?

Don't mean to derail but I've always wondered about this. If the buffer pedal is in front of the SD1, then how does it help the 'bad buffer of the SD1'?
I was thinking the same thing. The input of the sd-1 has a standard 1Mohm which is fine, it's the output buffer that is lacking because it is 1 kohm.

The quality buffer should go last in the front-end chain, right before the cable going to the amp. It doesn't hurt to have a good buffer first or at least first after tuner/wah, but usually one or more of your pedals will already have a 1Mohm input buffer to show your pickups the standard load.

Also keep in mind that an input buffer need not be first in the line to show your pickups standard load. You could go through some TB pedals first and it's no different then running a couple more foot of cable.

Has anyone tried using a compressor to tighten up the sound? Most Compressors have volume knobs that actually add some drive.

I like the Xotic AC Booster pedal with an amp that has its own overdrive going on and use it as an overdrive to push the amp's overdrive channel for more gain/sustain for leads. I also like the Xotic RC Booster combined with a MI Audio Crunch Box distortion pedal for any clean pedal platform type of amps. The Crunch Box would be the primary distortion tone with the RC Booster for volume boost/gain to make my lead playing get some juice with the amp.

For me the buffer in front of the sd1 It helps! I've tried with and without and the tone recovers life and and it more "3D" with a buffer

I like the Xotic AC Booster pedal with an amp that has its own overdrive going on and use it as an overdrive to push the amp's overdrive channel for more gain/sustain for leads. I also like the Xotic RC Booster combined with a MI Audio Crunch Box distortion pedal for any clean pedal platform type of amps. The Crunch Box would be the primary distortion tone with the RC Booster for volume boost/gain to make my lead playing get some juice with the amp.
I've own the Xotic BB Andy Timmons and AC booster and imho they are amazing to add "cream", warm and sustain to a gainy sound, but they don't work well just for the rhythms. My question is how does the rc booster behave instead?

Back