Favorite High Gain Amp Plugged Straight in No Pedals

Some of amps just don’t get along with any boost pedals and sound better on their own. Some examples of what I’ve kept for that include the CCV, Original Rev Uber, Megalith Beta, Wizard MTL, Reason SM50

The GEQ Mark amps & Recto’s sound perfectly killer as is, but for many styles of metal need a boost to sound their best

I’ve owned / own numerous 5150 Block Letters, Soldano SLO, Diezel VH4’s, Steavens Poundcake, 5 100w Wizards, Bogner 100B’s, Aiken Sabre, 30th Anniversary Marshall, VHT and a bunch of vintage 100W Marshalls
… all great amps depending on what you’re into musically.

My answer… Larry Dino.
I wish everyone could experience the harmonically rich, textured, juicy, tight, all tube, extremely pure organically dense tone of Larry amps.

Last edited:
EVH 5150 III 100w Stealth / 100w EL34
Mesa Mark series
Fryette Deliverance
Wizard Modern Classic

Any of those amps will get you a similar level of awesome, just slightly different flavors of awesome. Although I will say that limiting yourself with constraints like "no boost" can only hurt you. As much as I love those amps, there are days when I'd rather play a properly boosted Dual Recto Multi Watt's Orange Modern channel over any of them.

EVH 5150 III 100w Stealth / 100w EL34
Mesa Mark series
Fryette Deliverance
Wizard Modern Classic

Any of those amps will get you a similar level of awesome, just slightly different flavors of awesome. Although I will say that limiting yourself with constraints like "no boost" can only hurt you. As much as I love those amps, there are days when I'd rather play a properly boosted Dual Recto Multi Watt's Orange Modern channel over any of them.
Totally agree with you! I know with certain amps as soon as you use a boost, they come alive. For this thread I'm just looking for opinions plugged straight in no BS. LOL

I like my SLO straight in. Also have a Buxxom Boost and Nobels OD for different flavors or pushed when desired.

I don’t boost my Slo or wizard mc. The wizard is tight on its own and I don’t use a lot of gain. The Slo is looser naturally but I find with low to medium output pick ups it has that sound if that which I don’t find a need to colour.

I have a Mark III ( Purple Stripe ) , Mark V and a Studio Pre ..... I don't ever boost them ... but currently my Splawn Super Comp running 6550's has my love ...........

Some of amps just don’t get along with any boost pedals and sound better on their own. Some examples of what I’ve kept for that include the CCV, Original Rev Uber, Megalith Beta, Wizard MTL, Reason SM50

The GEQ Mark amps & Recto’s sound perfectly killer as is, but for many styles of metal need a boost to sound their best
Yep, some amps sound worse with a boost out front. Those that I've owned would be...

VHT D60
Cameron modded Marshalls
Monomyth Marshall
A few other modded Marshalls I forget

73 Mystery Mod. Perfect as is.

1666057490060.jpeg

I’ve owned numerous 5150 Block Letters, Soldano SLO, Diezel VH4’s, Steavens Poundcake, 5 100w Wizards, Bogner 100B’s, Aiken Sabre, 30th Anniversary z Marshall, VHT and a bunch of vintage 100W Marshalls … all great amps depending on what you’re into musically.

My answer… Larry Dino.
I wish everyone could experience the rich, textured, juicy, tight, all tube, extremely pure organically dense tone of Larry amps.
You ever boost the clean channel?
That channel takes boosts and effects really well, try and goose the British channel also, not the hot
rod breach the capital one., BUSTED.
That’s actually where the versatility is in that amp.
If I still had one, I’d show you.

Back