Floyd Rose 1000 Series Floyd Are GARBAGE

I wonder if they aren't putting the Floyd Specials in the more recent Charvels....that would explain the huge differences you guys seem to experience with your stock Charvel bridges. Mine are from 08/09, and although I've switched both out for OFRs there really isn't much of a difference that I've experienced, certainly not like 'pot metal' lolol...I've owned 80s Jacksons and those Floyd copies are pot metal and sound/feel like shit. HUGE difference when I've switched the JT6 out for an OFR.

Same. I have a 2017 Style 2 MIM that I really like, but know the term can be better. So it looks like OFR is a drop in replacement for the FR1000 correct? What about the Gotoh or Schaller?
I have no exp with the Gotoh, I've heard they are very good. The Schaller should also be a drop in replacement for the 1000.

I wonder if they aren't putting the Floyd Specials in the more recent Charvels....that would explain the huge differences you guys seem to experience with your stock Charvel bridges. Mine are from 08/09
My MIJ So-Cal is from 2010 and so far I've not really experienced 'garbage' with this bridge. I did put tubing in the springs, put in a FU Tone big brass block and brass trem stopper, but fine for me. I've had more issues with the toggle switch of that guitar, making a short circuit right before an important lead in a REALLY high stakes gig (crowd size >3k, on a huge festival), leaving me with signal, but very limp. At the time I figured it was my wireless set crapping out, but only a lot of time later I found out it was the Charvel's switch acting up, when it did it again.

I had zero issues with the FR1000 on my 2008 Charvel pro mod. I did replace it with an OFR a few years ago solely because I went with Chrome hardware.

Cool. So to clarify, by drop-in I mean no extra drilling for studs/screws, anything, etc.?
Yup it should be remove/replace. No worries. Schaller Floyd is the same as an OFR, and I've replaced my 1000s in both my Charvels with an OFR.

But the differences after switching were very minor, little smoother maybe. Tone was the same. Fine tuners are easier to turn and a bit smaller on the OFR.

I really dig the Schaller lockmeister I put on my strat. Feels great, very slinky and smooth, flutters for like a full second with little effort.

I have FR Special I put on a home made telecaster and it is way stiffer, much harder to get it to flutter, and just doesn’t feel as nice to use. Tuning stability is fine though.

I wish I could figure out why it just doesn’t feel as slinky and smooth as the lockmeister, I’ve tried swapping the springs with the lockmeister, and they’re even both using Floyd Rose wood screw studs.

the arms were kinda loose on both, but strangely enough, I swapped arms between them and that helped a lot.

The only issue I have had with my 1000 trems is the bar coming loose (I have replaced most of them, easy $15 fix), and the color rubbing off where my hand lays on it. My black one is fine, but my Cosmo black ones have rubbed chrome.

Hell I put a satin chrome Floyd Rose Special on my Warmoth build about 5 years ago and it still works perfectly. The bar collar assembly loosens easily, but besides that it's all good. If it bothered me enough I'd swap the assembly out for a Schaller one

Aren't the 1000s and the Specials the same bridge though? I've heard that the 1000 doesn't get the Special stamp on the top of the bridge because they're for OEM use, but the manufacturing process is the same.

Aren't the 1000s and the Specials the same bridge though? I've heard that the 1000 doesn't get the Special stamp on the top of the bridge because they're for OEM use, but the manufacturing process is the same.
Since this thread I've been trying to dig up the skinny on these models. I can't come up with any concrete facts..I look on eBay and I find Specials with the Special stamp...then I see Specials for sale without the stamp, saying made in Korea but shipping from China.
I have an OFR from the 80s with the original screw in bar...no Made in Germany stamp on the bottom. This is an old one. My other OFR also has no stamp..push in bar, original Floyd block. But the fine tuners are the larger version like the 1000.
I bought both as OEM OFRs from the 80s, reputable seller...first one I'm sure is the real deal. But I'm not sure about the second one since the fine tuners are larger like the 1000. But the saddles look right, no beveled edge.
Time to dive into some detective work.

Since this thread I've been trying to dig up the skinny on these models. I can't come up with any concrete facts..I look on eBay and I find Specials with the Special stamp...then I see Specials for sale without the stamp, saying made in Korea but shipping from China.
I have an OFR from the 80s with the original screw in bar...no Made in Germany stamp on the bottom. This is an old one. My other OFR also has no stamp..push in bar, original Floyd block. But the fine tuners are the larger version like the 1000.
I bought both as OEM OFRs from the 80s, reputable seller...first one I'm sure is the real deal. But I'm not sure about the second one since the fine tuners are larger like the 1000. But the saddles look right, no beveled edge.
Time to dive into some detective work.
I would not trust anything out of China. As for the beveled edge they’re present on my Charvel but not on my PRS SE Floyd, both are 1000s. Both have larger and longer fine tuning screws and the retention plates have grooves to keep the bolts in place

I would not trust anything out of China. As for the beveled edge they’re present on my Charvel but not on my PRS SE Floyd, both are 1000s. Both have larger and longer fine tuning screws and the retention plates have grooves to keep the bolts in place
Yeah, I haven't bought anything out of China other than some 6N4 (8th gen) tubes. These 2 were advertised as OEM OFRs from the 80s. The first one is, but the second one is questionable. I paid 100 for each; both used. I'm gonna put a Titanium block on the more recent one as soon as it arrives. Then I'll take a look at the plate and see if there's any tell. They both feel a little smoother than the 1000 that they replaced.

The only issue I have had with my 1000 trems is the bar coming loose (I have replaced most of them, easy $15 fix), and the color rubbing off where my hand lays on it. My black one is fine, but my Cosmo black ones have rubbed chrome.
I've bought the German replacement arms from FR and put them in the 1000 series. Alleviated the play in the arm

Some of people think these are the same quality only made in Korea. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

First, the coating and/or fit of the screws is not nearly as smooth nor are they as receptive and fit to the Allen wrenches. The 1000series screws seem more painted versus the German being thin coated. The fine tuners on the 1000 series are longer and have different dimension thumb grip dimensions as well. The German screws are smooth, whereas the 1000s are far from smooth. The bar and couplers are also cheap and low quality on the 1000s. At a bare minimum you’d need to upgrade all screws, bar and coupler to at least get the feel correct. That’s close to $40+ right there. Personally, I’m pulling it out and just bought a German Floyd right now and using the MF current 15% discount and will likely list my 1000 to offset set the cost. Not impressed.

Straight up trash! Garbage!!! Burn them all!! Melt them for scrap metal!! Down with the 1000!!!!

Back