Folks who find Boogies too confusing.

Donnie B.

Banned
This is a lot of player's super comfort zone.
marsh.jpg

Six knobs. Volume/gain/BMT/presence. Super simple. Set everything at noon and then
adjust to taste.

This, on the other hand, FREAKS a bunch of players out. (not around this forum though!)

boog.jpg

TOO MANY KNOBS AND SWITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But is it?

Six knobs. Volume/gain/BMT/presence. You get one set for each of the 3 channels. Super simple.
The little switches are 'set em and forget em' for the most part. Choose a pre-amp voice and wattage. Done.
Think of the graphic EQ as if it's a pedal built into the amp. If you can use a stomp box EQ you're good to go.
You could even choose not to use it. I hardly ever do.

As far as setting the EQ? It's easy. Just take 5 minutes and read that section of the manual. It's not difficult, it's
simply a different approach than your typical Fender or Marshall.

Don't fear the Boogie!

Last edited:
I think the confusion with a Mark is that it sounds so bad with the TMB knobs all at 5, which isn't how most amps are.

Once you just understand to start out with the T/M/B knobs around 7/2/1 respectively (IMHO) and then tweak from there, it goes pretty quick and easy.

I think the confusion with a Mark is that it sounds so bad with the TMB knobs all at 5, which isn't how most amps are.

Once you just understand to start out with the T/M/B knobs around 7/2/1 respectively (IMHO) and then tweak from there, it goes pretty quick and easy.

That's funny. I almost added Boogie starting points too. Mine would be 7/3/0.

I think it‘s all in what people are used to. I’ve seen old heads argue about setting on a fender that just has bass and treble. 😬

My first modern tube amp was a Rivera M60 and it took years to figure it out...only after I got the manual did I get great tone.

I never understood it with modelers either, guys will spend thousands on a modeler only to pack it back up because they have to hit a menu button or some shit and they can’t be bothered.

Re: Modelers, the flip side are those who feel the need to tweak and test drive every 1/10th of a digital notch
of EVERY available input, amp, fx, IR, output, etc., built into a signal flow before settling on whether an
amp sounds good enough.

Wanna waste an entire afternoon? Buy a Celestion IR pack and audition all 640 options to narrow down
which one best nails Angus Young's early AC/DC tones (altogether forgetting that the first time you fell
in love with the tones was probably listening through a mediocre car stereo!)

unnamed.jpg

I hate mesas.

I hate modelers and prefer set it and forget it.

I prefer preset patches on my PCM81 because I’m in the “good enough” thought process.

At the end of the day making music matters more to me.

As long as you figure out that the regular EQ should be Treble high, bass low, mid low then you're good to go. But... don't be afraid to bump up the bass or mid knobs up a little though, you can get some interesting tones that way too, just a lot different than you're typical metal tone. The bass and mid knobs can also add a bit of fullness if you bump them up into the 3 - 5 zone, then you can use a tubescreamer to tighten it back up, ala recto.

EF5SWUyQa4CHnj738rb52U.jpg

........................................................................................

...................................................................................................... >

ToJUPI.gif

Back