Fryette VHT amps. Educate me

Tone Junkie

The good the bad and best.

Not super familiar. Which for what style of music. Bust sounding best value etc.

Seen a few YouTube vids. Like the high gain tones.

I’ve only had experience with both the D60/120. They have great clarity; on par with a Wizard imo. The D60 is more modded Marshall while the 120 is more modern. Good tight low end. Neither liked any of my boost pedals, but they have plenty of gain. But, not a real saturated gain like a Mesa, more clear…which leads to some feeling they are dry. Good feel too.

Last edited:
I’ve only had experience with both the D60/120. They have great clarity; in par with a Wizard imo. The D60 is more modded Marshall while the 120 is more modern. Good tight low end. Neither liked any of my boost pedals, but they have plenty of gain. But, not a real saturated gain like a Mesa, more clear…which leads to some feeling they are dry. Good feel too.

I actually hear the D60 more along the lines of a modded Hiwatt than a Marshall, but that's just me.

I had a Fifty/Twelve combo that I sessioned for years. Outstanding clean. With the right tubes would get into the Fair Warning area for gain/tone. Sounded best with a Vintage30, which kept the low end present and tight (weaknesses of combos). I just got tired of lugging it around and paradoxically started chasing the Bogner thing.

I've owned multiple VHT amps ( UL, CLX and now D60 ) and i can say they are some of the best high gain amps i've ever played. I just got in a new Wizard MCII and find myself still playing my 05 VHT era D60 most of the time. I will say i did try a new Fryette D120 mkII and didn't care for it all that much and returned it.

Any of the Fryette amps are capable of playing any style of music. Like our friend Bob said they are in the Hiwatt family.
Your question is pretty broad. Is there a particular thing your looking for a model your interested in ?

High gain. Tight tone from overdriven Marshall to next gen full out modern

Most any Fryette model will do this. I own(d) a UL, 50CL, three different D60s, Series II D120, and CLX and they all do almost anything IMHO. Just a matter of whether the articulation, voicing, and gain structure are to your liking. I like the older D60s and the CLX the most. Every one I've owned took a boost like a champ and could go from classic rock to DM without breaking a sweat.

I feel the 50CL, UL, and CLX I own(d) are very similar. The D60 is more gritty and raw where as the former seems more polished/refined/smoother/more compressed. But that's just D60 compared while those same amps are much more open, raw, rough than many many other high gainers out there.

High gain. Tight tone from overdriven Marshall to next gen full out modern
Agreed.

High Gain, very tight and clear sounding.

Gain wise, there's plenty of it but it's not as compressed, not as saturated or greasy. Thus where alot of people say it's not forgiving. My opinion though, you get used to it the more you play them. I do hear more of a cross of Hiwatt meets Marshall. Big tones, not as naturally mid range as a Marshall, lots of low end bloom but again, you can dial them in tight.

Dialing them in is always a balance of Presence and Treble IMO alot more tonal interaction between those two as say versus a Marshall. And dynamic, the harder you hit the more you get. Cleans up well on how gain tones as well.

I owned the Pitbull years ago and own the SigX now. Granted my ears favor Marshall and the Sig is a little more that realm IMO.

Overall great amps that have their own thing going for them.

Agreed.

High Gain, very tight and clear sounding.

Gain wise, there's plenty of it but it's not as compressed, not as saturated or greasy. Thus where alot of people say it's not forgiving. My opinion though, you get used to it the more you play them. I do hear more of a cross of Hiwatt meets Marshall. Big tones, not as naturally mid range as a Marshall, lots of low end bloom but again, you can dial them in tight.

Dialing them in is always a balance of Presence and Treble IMO alot more tonal interaction between those two as say versus a Marshall. And dynamic, the harder you hit the more you get. Cleans up well on how gain tones as well.

I owned the Pitbull years ago and own the SigX now. Granted my ears favor Marshall and the Sig is a little more that realm IMO.

Overall great amps that have their own thing going for them.

I agree will all of this whole heartedly.

I regret selling my D60 a lot . That and my mk4 are the too amps I should have never parted with

I regret selling my D60 a lot . That and my mk4 are the too amps I should have never parted with

I regretted selling the early one I had too. So much that I drove 2400 miles round trip to pick one up recently. Well, the opportunity to visit with an old friend, drink some good Mezcal with fresh yard squeezed limes, and the warm ocean breeze sweetened the deal, but yeah I drove to CA for a D60/D412 cab...it's such a good amp.

I regretted selling the early one I had too. So much that I drove 2400 miles round trip to pick one up recently. Well, the opportunity to visit with an old friend, drink some good Mezcal with fresh yard squeezed limes, and the warm ocean breeze sweetened the deal, but yeah I drove to CA for a D60/D412 cab...it's such a good amp.
My was a very early one too . I’ve tried to find the nerd I sold it too but he probably pawned years ago knowing him lol . I tried to find Fr lol

Back