Got an idea for faking a second channel on my amp... am I crazy?

Scored a Boss LS-2 off eBay today.

What put me over the edge is realizing each loop has an output level control. So I can have a loop for clean and a loop for dirty and use the level controls as a cut/boost respectively.

Scored a Boss LS-2 off eBay today.

What put me over the edge is realizing each loop has an output level control. So I can have a loop for clean and a loop for dirty and use the level controls as a cut/boost respectively.

I have a KSR Ares with the Clean Mod but I didn't want to give up the Crunch and Lead on the Ares since they both sound pretty killer so I tried a 4CM with my AXE FX XL+ where I created a Clean Amp on the XL+ and I am able to turn it on/off.

It allows me to switch between the KSR Ares Crunch/Lead and the AXE FX XL+ Clean Amp (and any XL+ amp) plus I get all of the effects from the AXE FX XL+ as a bonus.

It sounds killer!!

This 4CM set-up with the Ares helped me decide to not get a KSR Colossus or a Juno since I have multiple channels now and everything is midi switchable when I use an MFC-101 and a midi channel switcher.

Any 4CM device that can turn off the internal amps/cabs can be used this same way.

A person just needs to find a device where they can make a pretty good clean amp on it for themselves and be able to turn the amps/cabs on/off.

I love my AXE FX XL+ but I was thinking there might be much cheaper 4CM devices out there that can get me a pretty nice clean amp on the device such as something like the Line 6 Pod Go with decent effects and a foot controller format.

Also, this 4CM set-up now allows me to purchase any amp and have more channels plus effects with a foot controller.

I just recently started looking at amps that I would never have considered previously purchasing since they didn't have enough channels for me :cool:

Last edited:
I'd go low input, pedals. You can setup separate pedal chains for your clean and gain sounds, clicking between them with a simple selector.
The low input on these amps is underrated.
A good pedal into the low input can sound as good, if not better, than the gain on the hi input.
An Okko Diablo into the low input on my 1984 4104 sounds darn near identical to the amp's hi input. Plus, fuzzes and higher gain dirt boxes sound killer, and I can run delays and loopers in front of the amp, eliminating the need for an effects loop. Which is good, since you say the Ceriatone effects loop sucks. Seems like putting everything in front of the amp into the lo input is the most simple solution.
I have never heard anyone recommend this or seen anyone do this with the low input. I just tried it today and was blown away. My 2204 with certain pedals sounded like a modded Marshall.. much differently with the same pedals in front of the high input channel. With the high channel I couldn't use much gain but on low I can use it all and the tone of the pedal really shined. It totally changed how my amp sounded and allowed me to get a lot more from my pedals. Plus I was able to use more of the MV. I found I liked it better with the Gain dimed.

I have never heard anyone recommend this or seen anyone do this with the low input. I just tried it today and was blown away. My 2204 with certain pedals sounded like a modded Marshall.. much differently with the same pedals in front of the high input channel. With the high channel I couldn't use much gain but on low I can use it all and the tone of the pedal really shined. It totally changed how my amp sounded and allowed me to get a lot more from my pedals. Plus I was able to use more of the MV. I found I liked it better with the Gain dimed.
Yeah, it removes a gain stage, so you're able to crank the gain knob into the sweet tone spot, where the bright cap is basically out of the equation, but the sound it still pretty clean. I like it around 9 on the dial myself. Pretty sure this is what Billy for Smashing Pumpkins did with the Big Muff. It's basically a great sound that takes pedals well, lets you use your delays and stuff post gain pedals, but in front of the amp without sounding like poo. The lo input is highly underrated. Pedals shine here.

What pedals are you using?

Yeah, it removes a gain stage, so you're able to crank the gain knob into the sweet tone spot, where the bright cap is basically out of the equation, but the sound it still pretty clean. I like it around 9 on the dial myself. Pretty sure this is what Billy for Smashing Pumpkins did with the Big Muff. It's basically a great sound that takes pedals well, lets you use your delays and stuff post gain pedals, but in front of the amp without sounding like poo. The lo input is highly underrated. Pedals shine here.

What pedals are you using?
I have a PlexiRanger which made it sound like a Hot Rodded Plexi and a BYOC Green Pony which really brought out the low mids that I love and had never heard on this amp before.. I'm going to be building and buying more pedals now. Cool tip on the delays.. I didn't know that either but I have a Ceriatone 2204 with buffered loop.. The loop sounds great on this amp but I'm still going to give the delay a try in front and see which way I like it best.

I have a PlexiRanger which made it sound like a Hot Rodded Plexi and a BYOC Green Pony which really brought out the low mids that I love and had never heard on this amp before.. I'm going to be building and buying more pedals now. Cool tip on the delays.. I didn't know that either but I have a Ceriatone 2204 with buffered loop.. The loop sounds great on this amp but I'm still going to give the delay a try in front and see which way I like it best.
Cool man! All kinds of gain pedals rock in front of the lo input.
I had a fun fuzz day couple days ago
View attachment 20220913_172507.jpg

WTF?. This is RIG TALK!
You must acquire another amp that does what you need.
This will help continue the inevitable cycle of amp flipping needed for this forum to thrive.
You can't think logically and try to make what you have work for it's unintended purposes...that will cause others to think logically.
Not only would this cause the implosion of the forum,but could destroy the internet entirely.
This is pure gold! :yes:

Adding to the Official Epic collection thread.

Also, I think OP has really good answers already but it got me thinking. Would be cool if there was a Kemper type profiler that you could run live that profiles the dirty signal as it comes in then projects/predicts for you a cleaner version of that same tone. Maybe that is what some of these already mentioned pedals do.

I got the LS-2.

Running it infront of the amp, it works a treat for balancing clean and dirty tones just as I'd hope. A flat boost on the dirty channel on top of the SD-1, and a flat cut on the clean channel to help sweep up some dirt.

I've also just bought a Metal Zone. I was hoping to run it into the loop return of my amp but when I tried it I found that the loop is post-MV. So no go. Instead I'm running it straight through my interface into Amplitube. But thanks to the LS-2 I can flip easily from thrashy chuggery to crystal cleans. It's great.

Back