Guitar center going under concern

BrentSSL

Hey so I just bought a Helix and a head rush from GC with the performance guarantee for 3 years. I found to great deals on these used the helix even had its box and plastic still on it. So should I return these and look elsewhere? Or maybe dump the performance guarantee thing? I'm concerned they won't be around to honor it.

The whole bankruptcy thing might just be a restructuring of their funds. Think everyone is getting a little too ahead of the game about them going out of business. Being a realist, I don't think they'll actually close their doors for good.

I think you’re fine, GC at worst will restructure its debt, get new management and have to create a bankruptcy court approved plan to recover. That may mean some store closings.

These Performance guarantee plans are Cash cows as well.

GC is not a solvent Co. And any entity that would take on their debt is plenty to worry about.

If you're talking about some 3 year "protection plan" that costs extra $, dump that. Those things are scams- companies always try to find loop holes to wiggle out of honoring anything. Selling one of these plans is such a huge profit for any company as they give almost nothing in return.

Add in that GCenter could fold at any moment and that makes that decision clear

crankyrayhanky":zxohlwe8 said:
If you're talking about some 3 year "protection plan" that costs extra $, dump that. Those things are scams- companies always try to find loop holes to wiggle out of honoring anything. Selling one of these plans is such a huge profit for any company as they give almost nothing in return.

All of this. Though I am not sure I would trust headrush for any long term period. Pretty much throw away gear. But if they last a few years; that's expected and fine. The L6 stuff is backed by the company and I would go through their support system 10/10 over anything GC has in place.

crankyrayhanky":3qkfhsnz said:

Yep, it’s a Cash cow, like free money. I’m sure it works out for some, but probably the biggest profit margins they have.

I suspect that all music supply outlets will be closed buy the end of next year, maybe sooner. The real collapse has yet to been seen, but it is most definitely on the way.

GC's business model is exactly the same as the bar in Goodfellas. When you can't borrow another buck from the bank, you bust the joint out. I hope there will be some good clearance sales, ala the Kramer factory around 1991.

Wow this got negative fast lol
First off I've used the protection plan several times in the past and I've had gear replaced no problem.
Second I don't feel that any gear is "throw away gear" if it works it works.
I get it it's now a rag on Guitar Center post.
However I bought my first tube amp from a local place and the transformer blew through no fault of mine it was toast. The owner would not give me my money back so I sold it at a huge loss. Ever since then I don't buy gear anywhere else but Guitar Center

Oh, I love GC. I just wouldn't invest a dime of my money there other than as a retail customer.

crankyrayhanky":2ldmhbbh said:

This is true for many products you buy. Good advice.

stanz":2d0b8703 said:
I suspect that all music supply outlets will be closed buy the end of next year, maybe sooner. The real collapse has yet to been seen, but it is most definitely on the way.
Bullshit

Line 6 has great customer service and I'd go through them is you need anything. Check out their forums if you need help with a product. When I've had questions with my Variax, their forum was the first place I went and their customer service staff guided me along. As for the headrush, I have no real experience with it.

I don't think GC is going out of business. I think they might close their smaller stores.

the rossness":1d8j9lb2 said:
Line 6 has great customer service and I'd go through them is you need anything. Check out their forums if you need help with a product. When I've had questions with my Variax, their forum was the first place I went and their customer service staff guided me along. As for the headrush, I have no real experience with it.

I don't think GC is going out of business. I think they might close their smaller stores.

I have had experience with line 6 customer service too I agree just like having a little extra security. However I'm going to see if I can remove the warranty.

Back