Has anyone loaded a 4x12 with Celestion Redbacks?

I have a 212 loaded with Redbacks and it slays. Was thinking about putting 2 in an X pattern with my K100’s in the Marshall MF400.
I had the Redback and K100 in a cab and wasn't thrilled. I preferred Redback/V30 and even CL80/RB.
Also prefer K100/V30 and V30/CL80(or C90)

I’m blending a Redback with old G12-65s in a wet/dry setup. Running a SLO dry into a 2x12 loaded with ‘81 G12-65s. KILLER speaker for the Soldano, and she’s very picky. Line out into fx, out fx into Boss Katana. The wet cab is Redback in a 1/2. I get the massive low end thump of the RB mixed with the Greenback-ish crunch of the G12-65. It’s a killer combo, imho. I’m going to replace the 1/2 with another 2/12 and put the Redback in it for massive low end. I had 1 RB in a 2/12 by itself, and I swear the low end was monstrous. Rivaled many 4/12s.

So I was watching a Tone Wars video where he talks about not liking the Redbacks and replaced them with Eminence DV-77s.
Now I'm wondering what that is all about.
I'm ordering DV-77s for my Bogner 412 to pair with V30s

My splawn still has V30/Redbacks.

Now I'm curious if I'd be better with something else? Something like T75s, MC90s or CL80s.

I watched a video comparing some old broken in T75s and they sounded better than the Redbacks.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Have you found speakers that blend well with the Redbacks? I was watching some metal guys, Trivium and some others use Redbacks and I've blended V30s and it's great. However, I already have Redbacks and V30s in a 412. In my 212, that has two Reds, I was thinking of trying a Mesa MC90, Classic alead 80 or Eminence DV77. I tried a Cream back H75, but preferred two Redbacks.
Thanks.

I love the creamback 75/redback combo. I know a lot of people who jumped on the DV77 train and some really dig them but more didn't like them. Of course it's taste thing but I think the times I've heard people loving them they have been blended

I’m “mixing” Redbacks and G12-65’s, although I don’t think I’m mixing, more like blending. I’m running a wet/dry set up with the G12-65’s dry, Redback wet. I think it sounds phenomenal, actually. Get all the woody smooth goodness of the 65’s with the massive low end thump of the Redbacks. I’d be interested in hearing them mixed together in a 4x12. They do have a similar tone, imho. Much more similar than Redbacks vs V30’s or CB75’s, which sound very different than Redbacks, imho.

I've got 3 412w with all Redbacks. They are my favorite speakers. I don't find them too dark at all. The high end to me is a little rolled off but balanced. Doesn't get spikey like some speakers, and they don't have this washy high end that I found Legends to have. Awesome speakers.

I love the creamback 75/redback combo. I know a lot of people who jumped on the DV77 train and some really dig them but more didn't like them. Of course it's taste thing but I think the times I've heard people loving them they have been blended
Even in a 212? In my 212 I thought the H75 robbed my cab of fullness and punch. I went back to two Reds.

Last edited:
I've got 3 412w with all Redbacks. They are my favorite speakers. I don't find them too dark at all. The high end to me is a little rolled off but balanced. Doesn't get spikey like some speakers, and they don't have this washy high end that I found Legends to have. Awesome speakers.
Maybe I'll keep the two Reds in my Stone Age. My Splawn has two Reds and two V30s.

Trying to finalize my Bogner 412.
Maybe I'll do V30/Mesa MC90 or K00.
Celestion can have a nasal midrange and I hear the DV77 is very big and broad.

rbasaria: Are you still using the Duncan Custom TB-5? What do you think of the BK Holy Diver or the Norton from DiMarzio? I am looking for the best alternatives to a regular JB for my bridge pickup (in EC-1000/Eclipse guitars). The JB is kinda close to what I like (an alternative to the EMG 81, but passive with more bass). I cannot send you a PM on here, so this is my silly way of making contact.

rbasaria: Are you still using the Duncan Custom TB-5? What do you think of the BK Holy Diver or the Norton from DiMarzio? I am looking for the best alternatives to a regular JB for my bridge pickup (in EC-1000/Eclipse guitars). The JB is kinda close to what I like (an alternative to the EMG 81, but passive with more bass). I cannot send you a PM on here, so this is my silly way of making contact.
Hey! Sorry, I don't get on here much these days.

I haven't used a TB5 in a while. Closest thing I have is a Duncan Solar. I've never played a Holy Diver or Norton, so I really can't say. But I haven't really liked anything I've tried from BKP. I liked the Dimarzio Dominion a lot. Its tight like an EMG, but more lows and smoother highs.

Which speaker are you wanting to mix? IFAIK, Celestion recommends not mixing speakers in the same cab that are greater than 2db apart. I agree.
Interesting, Celestion told me the rule of thumb is 3db. Then they recommended I blend the Redbacks with Creamback M65s. Lol.
I can't really hear any issues with volume.
I've also used there other big recommendation of V30/T75.

To the OP- yes I have. See below. To me, how these speakers close mic recorded was not the same as how they came across in the room.

On the V30/T75 blend- to me, the interesting thing here is that I like the T75s being louder in the mix having less to do with the DB difference & more to do with where the mids sit, in terms of the two complimenting each other. For this reason I prefer to have separate power amps running each type of speaker to better balance the sound. This is a BIG improvement in the blend over just throwing them all in the same cab.

I have 2 quads filled with Redbacks. It's a monstrous sound! Sometimes I will mix a couple of Creamback H75's in there to bring back a little more top end and mids. Depends which amp I'm favoring at the time.
hlpI0me.jpg
Still using all Redbacks?
Right now I am liking my Redback/V30 mix. Huge sound and was thinking of doing my other 412 which is slant also Redback/V30.

Otherwise, I'll do one as all Redbacks or Redback/H75.

My Bogner lacks some of the authority and punch if my Splawn with Redback/V30 and I'm thinking it's because I am using Redback/M65.
Using Redbacks, Redback/H75 or Redback/V30 should have more punch.

Back