Help. Diezel Amp just quit (update: issue resolved)

Anxiety Serum

I'm playing my VH2, and not very loud, family is in the house so its not cranked. There's a weird surge, like someone just raised the volume for a half second, and then it just shuts off, dead no light no nothing. I was running another amp and pedals, nothing else got surged (nor did the room's lights) so I doubt it was a power surge. I turned it off, unplugged, and tried to start it again, but its got nothing.

Any help on what happened?

I'm playing my VH2, and not very loud, family is in the house so its not cranked. There's a weird surge, like someone just raised the volume for a half second, and then it just shuts off, dead no light no nothing. I was running another amp and pedals, nothing else got surged (nor did the room's lights) so I doubt it was a power surge. I turned it off, unplugged, and tried to start it again, but its got nothing.

Any help on what happened?
Try replacing the fuse, does it look blown?

Try replacing the fuse, does it look blown?
This. There are probably several fuses in that amp (guess). The Mains/slow blow fuse would be the one. If I had to guess, you had a tube redplate on you and it blew a screen grid resistor (or similar) which means if you replace the fuse, and the new fuse blows - then that is probably your issue. I would take it to a tech. I'm not a tech.

Anyone know of a good tech in Raleigh Area? Of course its a Sunday an nothing is open (not that I don't have other amps to play).

The Diezel Manual is terrible, no clue where to even check the fuze. https://www.diezelamplification.com/manuals/en/VH2_Manual_13042018.pdf

BTW, I am technically ignorant. So feel free to assume I don't know jack shit about working on amps or replacing tubes/fuses. But I'm about to learn I'm sure.
It looks like the fuses are on the back of the amp. You just take a little screwdriver and turn it, and it pops out. Also, it looks like there are spare fuses in the little compartment under the mains power cable.

It looks like the fuses are on the back of the amp. You just take a little screwdriver and turn it, and it pops out. Also, it looks like there are spare fuses in the little compartment under the mains power cable.
Thanks I assume its inside the back panel somewhere (i.e. need to remove that)? Where did you see that info?

Anyone know of a good tech in Raleigh Area? Of course its a Sunday an nothing is open (not that I don't have other amps to play).

The Diezel Manual is terrible, no clue where to even check the fuze. https://www.diezelamplification.com/manuals/en/VH2_Manual_13042018.pdf

BTW, I am technically ignorant. So feel free to assume I don't know jack shit about working on amps or replacing tubes/fuses. But I'm about to learn I'm sure.
Based on that manual you would have to take the chassis out of the headshell to look, find and replace. Because I think you had a redplate situation, a resistor blew the fuse on purpose to prevent you from doing further damage. My fear is putting in a new fuse or new tubes will just cause the amp to blow again (potentially causing more damage). I would take it to a tech man.

BUT - if you do decide to troubleshoot this yourself, please do not touch anything on the inside of the chassis with your bare hands or anything metal (wood only). You will likely get a nasty shock. That first section of the VH2 user manual is VERY important.

if the back looks like the VH2 on Sweetwater ...... the mains Fuse is sitting right there where the plug goes ..... that little door

1696784656564.jpeg

Based on that manual you would have to take the chassis out of the headshell to look, find and replace. Because I think you had a redplate situation, a resistor blew the fuse on purpose to prevent you from doing further damage. My fear is putting in a new fuse or new tubes will just cause the amp to blow again (potentially causing more damage). I would take it to a tech man.

BUT - if you do decide to troubleshoot this yourself, please do not touch anything on the inside of the chassis with your bare hands or anything metal (wood only). You will likely get a nasty shock. That first section of the VH2 user manual is VERY important.
Mine is like the picture above. If that is the case do you still recommend not trying the fuse?

Also, is this common, did I do something wrong, or what causes this?
Amp is about 1.5 years old. Never leaves home, rarely ever gets cranked past 9 o'clock on the master or the regular volume and I was playing pretty low this morning.

Mine is like the picture above. If that is the case do you still recommend not trying the fuse?

Also, is this common, did I do something wrong, or what causes this?
Amp is about 1.5 years old. Never leaves home, rarely ever gets cranked past 9 o'clock on the master or the regular volume and I was playing pretty low this morning.
Tubes fail, fuses fail. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong. It happens.

Back