Help me decide on options.

War_in_D

So, I went ahead and ordered my mid-sized QR with 6V6's. Now, I have to decide how I want it to look. My 100 watt QR is pretty much the "classic" plexi style looking head with black tolex, gold piping, gold panel, gold knobs, mesh cutout on the front, etc. I have two Splawn cabs, the slant is black tolex, with salt/peper grill and white piping and the straight is black tolex, black mesh and white piping. My 1x12 cab that I plan on using is a Suhr Bella cab, with black tolex, gray plexi style piping, a kind of black/sparkle mesh and the mahogany accent piece across the front.

I know I want the small box Plexi head, and the main color will be black tolex. White piping is out for sure, even though it would match the cabs. I just can't bring myself to do white piping on black tolex for the head though. These things are pretty much non-negotiable, but I'm going back and forth on the rest of the stuff. On the piping I'm open to gold, silver (maybe) or black (thought had crossed my mind to go all blacked out with this one and do the black control panel, black chickenheads, etc..). I'm about 100 certain I want the cutout, but I can't decide if I want mesh (better cooling and would go this route if I do the blacked out option), or something like the salt/pepper grill cloth to match the one cab. What do you all think, got any cool combos or ideas that I'm not thinking about?

IMG_20210121_122119267.jpg

IMG_20200913_181158458 (2).jpg

My vote is all black. Blacked out everything. Cutout with mesh.

I actually have the black plastic etched flame panel like the one in the pic you posted. I've never installed it but have considered it. If there is light behind it the flames glow which is pretty balling. When I traded my plexi shell for my current z28 shell *dawnofdream97* let me keep the splawn logo so I have an extra. He was doing a Marshall clone build and didn't need it. I'll see if I have a pic. Might be cool in there.

I'm thinking if I don't go totally vanilla with this, and just do another classic Plexi type build, then the all blacked out look was running a close second. I might go all blacked out, with the salt/pepper insert in the cutout because I kind of like a little bit of contrast too. What to do, what to do.

Well, ended up going half/half on the vanilla plexi and the all blacked out "stealth" look with a little bit of "salt/pepper" thrown in for good measure.

Headshell Style: Small Box Plexi

Tolex: Black

Piping Color: Gold

Front Panel Cutout Options: salt/pepper grill cloth

Control Panel: Black

Control Knobs: Gold

Now the wait begins.. Scott said turn around time is about 8 weeks, so that's not too bad. He's had my Nitro for going on 14 weeks now, getting the fully loaded mods and KT88's added to it. I'm ready for that one to get here! :cool:

That sounds killer man. Great choices. Looking forward to seeing her.

Why is modding the Nitro taking longer than a QR build though? Does he maybe dedicate a big portion of the day for new builds and then a smaller portion to mods (other projects)?

That sounds killer man. Great choices. Looking forward to seeing her.

Why is modding the Nitro taking longer than a QR build though? Does he maybe dedicate a big portion of the day for new builds and then a smaller portion to mods (other projects)?

I would imagine that Scott is working on amp orders first for the most part, and doing the "side stuff" as he has time. He mentioned when I called him that he had two amp orders that he needed to finish that were placed before my amp got there, and then he was going to work on the Nitro. It's all good, I'm not in a super hurry for the Nitro.. I'm just really eager to try it out! LOL

I'm actually surprised he even agreed to to do the mods, since he's doing most if not all of this work on his own.

I'm actually surprised he even agreed to to do the mods, since he's doing most if not all of this work on his own.

Yeah, he mentioned that he's gotten busy enough in the last year or so that he hired a part time worker to help stuff boards, etc.. I'm not sure where he is with regard to doing mods now or if he's taking on any additional mod work, but he did say that someone locally had brought in some equipment that they wanted repaired, and he basically turned them away because he didn't have time. He said that he would much rather build an amp from scratch, than to work on existing amps. LOL

that's basically why I just ordered a new Supersport fully loaded, i asked him if he would add the mid cut new/old switches and the solo boost to a used head and he said , he it would be much easier to just build a new one from scratch and he wasn't really interested in modding his older amps.
I get it he needs to move inventory and modding an older head as compared to building a new one is far less profitable especially for such a small operation.
I'm glad I did as I don't know of any other Supersports that have a solo boost and still has both speaker outs

The more I'm hearing, the luckier I think I got when he agreed to mod my Nitro. Scott has always been a class act though, I have to say.. When I've talked to him on the phone about modding that Nitro after waiting about 6 months from his original emailed quote (he still honored the original quote price by the way!), and then called him back to see about adding the KT-88's to it he was always very helpful and never expressed any kind of hesitance to do the work. When I asked him how much it would be to add the KT-88's he said "Just send the tubes here to me, so I can see what value of resistor it needs for the bias pot and I'll put it in.. I'll already have the amp opened up anyway so it won't cost you anything more." He was probably thinking "Man, I really don't want to do this.. but I've already committed so I'm going to go ahead and do it." LOL Would have been just as easy to say that he wasn't doing that any more and told me to pound sand. I really appreciate that about him, and why I don't have one single issue with paying full price for this mid-sized QR.

Just got back from vacation today, but received an email from Scott this past Monday that my mid-sized QR is getting ready to ship! Got him paid today upon my return, so hopefully it'll get here this coming week. Been working on some changes to my music room too, trying to organize everything a little better and make it more user friendly.. but no pics until that's completed. LOL

Back