Help me identify these speakers...

dirtyfunkg

I have a line on a cabinet. I know the speakers on the right, but can't tell the speakers on the left. I think that the top left is a Celestion based on its frame resemblance to the blackbacks, but the bottom left speaker is a complete mystery. Possibly an Eminence Patriot?

I don't know if I'll be able to get better pictures of the cab, but may go check it out in person in the next few days.

Any ideas?

Also, it's allegedly a Marshall cabinet from the late 70's. The price asked is $250. I really don't need a cabinet right now, in fact need to save space as much as possible but am trying to figure out if this is worth my time/effort.

I think you have 3 Blackbacks. The bottom left is obviously are placement because 1 Blackback blew. My guess. Not sure what it is though.

dirtyfunkg":arlqfdcz said:
Also, it's allegedly a Marshall cabinet from the late 70's. The price asked is $250. I really don't need a cabinet right now, in fact need to save space as much as possible but am trying to figure out if this is worth my time/effort.
For teh Blackbacks alone it's a steal if they function.

-nope, horrible, horrible deal,

-psssssst!!-message me where it is!!!

-3 BLACKBACK'S, 1 refurbed something, the cab looks legit to, I'd be on my way to buy it right now if I was you,

-why don't things like that show up where I'm at

sg guy":3qpozpbo said:

-3 BLACKBACK'S, 1 refurbed something, the cab looks legit to, I'd be on my way to buy it right now if I was you,

Because YOU don't stalk GC used like I do...hehehe...just yesterday I found a checker 1982a cab..H30 blackbacks...349...
People rip on GC for good reason..but sometimes their ineptitude pays off....

Racerxrated":2odxbesv said:
sg guy":2odxbesv said:

Because YOU don't stalk GC used like I do...hehehe...just yesterday I found a checker 1982a cab..H30 blackbacks...349...

-baaaahaha!!!... I live in southern Oregon now, mighty slim pickens!!

Im gonna say 3 blackback 30 watters, great if 55hz but I dont like 75hz also check for recones. If they are 25 watters even better the 75hz are great and the 55hz I dont love. Sound city Fane is the other my guess for the blue one

sg guy":3rwkee3r said:
Racerxrated":3rwkee3r said:
sg guy":3rwkee3r said:

-baaaahaha!!!... I live in southern Oregon now, mighty slim pickens!!
Check the online used site. Call first and see what speakers are in it...then hang up and order totally online. They charge 25 for shipping. If you order over the phone they'll charge more. Like 40. Still cheap for a 4x12

Damn good deal. You could probably resell the cab for that price or more depending on the condition.

They're most likely 55Hz, as I don't think Marshall ever installed 75Hz G12H-30 Blackbacks in their 4x12 cabs (whereas both 55Hz & 75Hz G12M-25's were used).

He says its a 100W cab and sent a photo of the back jackplate (single jack) that says 100W RMS 1960 Lead. I'm assuming they're blackback G12M's.

I'm going to check it out tonight--likely will buy it. Will likely be running a Sig X at 40W mode through it. Playing a lot more funk and classic rock style music these days with a LP and Strat, so this should be a perfect fit. Will likely use it almost exclusively for recording. Aiming to get a Kemper for gigging in the near future so that I can start going with IEM.

This will be babied under my watch.

The 3 blackbacks are 25 watts each. You can see T1221 in the pic. Worth about $125-$150 each provided they are orig Hal and. Ones are not torn/repaired.

https://goo.gl/photos/oY3ErRZCMbNQx8X39

Ok. Bought it. Yes, the third speaker is indeed a G12M, had the T1221 code on it, with 1777 stamped on the cones. The cab sounds GREAT, particularly with my Strat through a Sig X. They are 75hz G12M 25W speakers. The cab dates back to 1977. The seller bought it from the original owner who ran a studio in NYC... he has seen the original receipt for the cab, which was bought new with a 50W head.

The badge is missing, obviously.

Here's the fun part, though. The guy who sold it to me just moved from NYC a short while ago. He's worked in studios for the past several years, most recently owned a studio out there. According to the him, this was a house cab at a major studio in NYC, and has been used for tracking by Vernon Reid, John Petrucci, and some others in the mid-late 1980's. There's really no way for me to verify if this was really used by the people he name-dropped, but it certainly seems possible. The name of the studio escapes me at this point, but I can contact him to ask him again.

The blue speaker was put in in the early 2000's after that Blackback blew out. He's not sure what it is, but it was put in by the house tech at the studio. It too sounds good. I've put a picture of that speaker in the photo album above, will spend some time tomorrow to try and research it.

I think this cab is a keeper.

Jim verified that the blue one is NOT a Scumback from any era, wasn't sure what it could be.

I've googled those frame codes, tried googling "guitar speaker blue frame black magnet" and adding brand names (weber, eminence, fane, etc)... nothing looks promising. I can't find any blue frame speakers with that matte type finish. The ones I find are a darker, glossier blue.

I'm flummoxed.

-I think its a refurbished/rebuilt speaker, it doesn't look like a CELESTION basket, how does it sound?

Thanks, halebox! That looks exactly right!

Got to put the cab through its paces a bit more (and record some scratch tracks) during rehearsal today. Not really getting driven, but going for a pushed clean that borders on a crunch with an all single-coil Strat. I'm very happy with this cabinet.

Back