Hendrix/SRV tone

paulyc

So I went to Experience Hendrix the other night...totally blown away by Dweezil Zappa, Eric Johnson (without the fuzz face), Kenny Wayne Shephard, John Butcher,Buddy Guy, and another guy who's name escapes me at the moment...Zakk was terrible as usual. Almost everyone playing that night was using small-ish Fender combo amps, and sounding killer. Got me thinking about Hendrix/SRV and what would be a good amp combo for that kind of thing...what say those of you that are experienced ?

SRV used the Super for clean sounds only, and it was beefed up with EVM 10" speakers and I believe an output transformer from a bigger amp (Twin maybe ?), his dirt sounds came from the Vibroverbs (also with EVM 15" speakers and a bigger OT and some other simple mods).

In fact, SRV's clean tone before the Super Reverbs or the Dumbles was a Marshall Club and Country 2x12 combo (100 watts) with 2 80 watt Celestions in it. I HAD a 2x12 Club & Country (STILL have a 4x10 one). Killer clean amps...

I've always read that SRV used a tubescreamer.. 2 of them stacked.

JTM45 cranked for Jimi. Marshall have the HW jtm45 series now.

Yes on the Tubescreamer, I have an Analog Man modified one, VERY smooth.

I also have a a Mojotone JTM 45 kit I need to put together.

No combo's here.

People have tried & failed for decades, only a guy from Tejas' could get SRV tones ...

He was the only one to ever do a Strat justice IMO.

paulyc":3twystij said:

Nice ! Would love to hear both the pedal and the kit when done. A JTM45 is/has been on my radar for a very long time.

I Almost settled for the reissue that they've been making but it sounds transistory to my ears..

And like you said, with all the other builders now putting their spins on the JTM as well as the kits, that would be a better route imo.

The new HW series sound really really sweet. The price tag is $3600 I think.

His Vibroverb had the baffle board replaced with 3/4" thick plywood cut for an EV 15" speaker.

ElectricVoodoo":20g7a00h said:
paulyc":20g7a00h said:

Nice ! Would love to hear both the pedal and the kit when done. A JTM45 is/has been on my radar for a very long time.

I Almost settled for the reissue that they've been making but it sounds transistory to my ears..

And like you said, with all the other builders now putting their spins on the JTM as well as the kits, that would be a better route imo.

The new HW series sound really really sweet. The price tag is $3600 I think.
I played a recent Marshall JTM 45 reissue at a buddy's shop and DAMN it was nice...and this reissue had an effects loop in it. Thing still had plenty of tone. I only bought the kit so I could spec everything the way I wanted it. Aluminum chassis, transformers, knobs, head shell, etc...

Rezamatix":2993q9pz said:
Badronald":2993q9pz said:
Do NOT use 10" speakers.
YOU DO know that SRV used a Super reverb (4x10) and a Vibroverb (2x10) RIGHT?

You CAN get SRV with a Super Reverb cranked all day long. I had one. It's not that tough honestly. 10" stock speakers sounded killer. Now, on the other hand, if you want to get bezerker with all the stuff SRV used, you'd have to pony up for a Dumble Steel String Singer somewhere along the line.

I have had many tubescreamers and ts type pedals. I like them for higher gain because of how they tighten.
There is one pedal when I played it, it blew me away. I thought to myself, "That is it" This thing had that magic SRV tone. Hard to explain. No other pedal have I heard this from. That thick creamy mid. This one has options to go from tighter to looser on a pot. Open, thick, natural. You don't want to know what pedal because man it aint cheap. I got lucky on mine for 360 but it will run you over 400. All NOS selected parts. I do know a couple of dealers overseas that will do better but you will wait as none are in stock. It's an awesome pedal and no one will get mine.

glip22":2i5bboof said:
I have had many tubescreamers and ts type pedals. I like them for higher gain because of how they tighten.
There is one pedal when I played it, it blew me away. I thought to myself, "That is it" This thing had that magic SRV tone. Hard to explain. No other pedal have I heard this from. That thick creamy mid. This one has options to go from tighter to looser on a pot. Open, thick, natural. You don't want to know what pedal because man it aint cheap. I got lucky on mine for 360 but it will run you over 400. All NOS selected parts. I do know a couple of dealers overseas that will do better but you will wait as none are in stock. It's an awesome pedal and no one will get mine.

What is this pedal of which you speak? :D :D

gtrwun":2742vapi said:
glip22":2742vapi said:

What is this pedal of which you speak? :D :D

VL Effects Greentone. These VL pedals are the best pedals I have ever laid my hands on. I have played 5 of them.

On my Kemper, my favourite amp profile to cop those kinds of tones is the Ceriatone Trainwreck. I have a ton of fun messing with it, would love to play a real one someday!

my experience is that those tones are very pure and open and raw. on the gtr side it's alder/rosewood and chimey single coils ala fralin, lollar, or suhr fletcher landaus.

on the amp side i know it's a hassle but one of the best SRV/hendrix tones i've ever managed to create was running a fender combo--in this case a silver face deluxe, and my mojave peacemaker (plexi circuit) set pushed clean, in a w/d config.

the peacemaker was the "dry" amp, hit with a compressor, and a OD parked behind it for dirt options; maxon od-820 is awesome but the best SVR box for me is a klamac arc furnace (discontinued but he still makes the el'mo) into a bogner 4x12

and i pulled a line out from a hotplate inserted in the speaker out to feed my gforce, then light delay/ verb into the deluxe.
the combination of a slightly dirty marshall plexi amp running in tandem with a sparkling fender is amazing and so dynamic without having to tax one or the other.

i'm not into diming amps but attenuating into the sweet spot is great.

paulyc":2mm9wg9h said:
So I went to Experience Hendrix the other night...totally blown away by Dweezil Zappa, Eric Johnson (without the fuzz face), Kenny Wayne Shephard, John Butcher,Buddy Guy, and another guy who's name escapes me at the moment...Zakk was terrible as usual. Almost everyone playing that night was using small-ish Fender combo amps, and sounding killer. Got me thinking about Hendrix/SRV and what would be a good amp combo for that kind of thing...what say those of you that are experienced ?

Hey Paulyc,
These guys could play almost anything and still sound good. Specially at the Experience, were they are all excited to play and to have fun.
KWS was first introduced to Dumble amps at the Experience a few years ago. Right after he was introduced to Alexander Dumble and bought himself a "Tweedle Dee"(modified tweed deluxe), and could not stop from there. He also got a "La Tostada"(modded Tweed Bassman) and either a "Rock-phonix" or "Ultra-phonix"(Black face fender combo, but I don't know the exact model he got).
EJ is using Dumble modded black face and Marshall amps since the beggining.
So, the Fender amps you've heard them playing, are probably the ones Dumble modded.
KWS even posted on Facebook these blackface Fenders modded by Dumble recentely. It looks like the ones EJ is sitting on top while playing the horrendous ZW SG/V.
These amps are fenomenal!

mike landau is my ultratone hero with very hendrix/srv-ish inspired sounds, and he has been running a wet/dry rig lately.

w/d is what i arrived at after many moons of mono, stereo and wdw experimentation live, because it is a more stable sound to mic and reproduce in a "live speaker on stage" environment, across mono or stereo or lcr PAs, versus a stereo rig, which can be very tricky to hear on stage right and get to the house properly, and it is less stuff to cart and set up versus wdw. kinda the best of bang for the buck and i was thrilled to find out my hero agrees for roughly the same reasons

i was sitting close enough to touch his pedalboard with my foot and trust me the tone was outrageous

this was at the baked potato last year during NAMM, playing with the Jazz Ministry (formerly known as Dyno 4 when Vinnie Colautia was the drummer instead of Abe Jr)

Mike was using his signature ML deville as the dry amp,

with this as his dry front end pedalboard

and from the dry amp, the speaker out goes to an interface on his wet board
which
A)
returns the dry speaker level back to the ML's combo speaker,

and

B)taps/attenuates/splits a knocked down properly phased and corrected level feed to the timeline/flint in parallel, then parallel out to his dumble modded super reverb's two inputs

Back