Talk me out of a Diezel Paul?

**DRB**

I’m looking for a versatile 2 or 3 channel head that will cover great cleans to mild OD to high gain. I love everything from Eric Johnson / Clapton / SRV to Tool and TesseracT- yes a tall order for any amp I know

I don’t want a full on “metal” amp but I also don’t really want a room full of amps either. I had considered a VH Mini whenever that is a thing, but I think I want the extra channel (half a channel?)

I’d like something that takes pedals well, both in front of and in the loop (I have a bunch of TC and Strymon delay and mod pedals and boost / fuzz / comp to run in front)

My main guitar is a 2007 PRS Custom 24 Vintage / HFS. It is my, “take it to my grave” guitar that I would struggle to sell if I was down to my last penny.

Amp will never leave my finished basement / home bar / music space

Looking for the amp to “ take to my grave” (I’m only 43 so hopefully that’s no time soon!)

Currently have a Mesa Mark V:25 combo. I won’t buy another Mesa as I’m not a fan of supporting Gibson (no offense intended or implied for Gibson fans)

Other amps considered -

Bogner Ecstasy 50
Diezel D-Moll (too metal?)
Friedman BE-50 (technically over budget$)
Fryette Sig-X (a buddies, but I do love Fryette)

I’d go d moll out of all your choices . I have 4 diezels and love them all . But dmol is great for all that
Second choice is fryette

I own a Paul and my main guitars are PRS Standard 22s, so I'm pretty close to what you're using. I think the Paul would be a great choice for what you're describing. The clean channel is, simply put, beautiful (in a modern way; this isn't a 60s Fender). Channel 2 does amazing mid-gain sounds and has a ton of great tones on the lower half of the gain knob. Channel 3 is classic Diezel high-gain. The built-in reverb is surprisingly excellent and you have two masters so a solo boost is simple. They can be had used for not much at all (mine is for sale $2000 net to me; see the Classifieds).

I’d go d moll out of all your choices . I have 4 diezels and love them all . But dmol is great for all that
Second choice is fryette
Thanks for the feedback I really thought the D-Moll was more of a metal focused tone? Are the cleans awesome?

I own a Paul and my main guitars are PRS Standard 22s, so I'm pretty close to what you're using. I think the Paul would be a great choice for what you're describing. The clean channel is, simply put, beautiful (in a modern way; this isn't a 60s Fender). Channel 2 does amazing mid-gain sounds and has a ton of great tones on the lower half of the gain knob. Channel 3 is classic Diezel high-gain. The built-in reverb is surprisingly excellent and you have two masters so a solo boost is simple. They can be had used for not much at all (mine is for sale $2000 net to me; see the Classifieds).
Curious, why are you selling? I mean, I see your gear list and get it… but if I’m looking for one amp, does it check enough boxes?

Cab and controller showed up today, tomorrow is the Paul (fingers crossed it shows up in one piece as you pretty much couldn’t have a farther trip in continental USA

Sweet mother of god this 2x12 cab is chunky!!!

IMG_4490.jpeg

have bought a vh2 but wanted first a Paul ....clean channel is the same so don't worry ...you'll be impressed....the second channel of the VH2 is weird always have to clean with my guitar volume ....at 10 on my strat ( with humbuckers dimarzios ) it's like this channel is a lead channel , at 8/9 the VH4 third channel but not as precise as it seems on the VH4 ....don't get me wrong great amp and i've also have the 2x12 cab v30's....but i think i'm gonna go for the VH4....to see....give your advise on the Paul , especially the second/third channel ....

Back