How bad is Kirk Hammett - let's be honest.

midnightlaundry":3syx4hpt said:
KH is a metal god. Hes been doin it for years. Nobody on here can say that.

Yes, we know. As I keep trying to state, just because you're not at the same level doesn't mean you can't critique something.

Lets be honest why are we singling Kirk out, Metallica have been on a downward trajectory since Load - much as I like Death Magnetic it's not MOP or AJFA, hell it's not even Ride the Lightning ;-)

A local radio station cracked me up. It's a local college station that's played metal since the 80's, 89.5 WSOU from Setan Hall. The DJ was bored and was asking for requests and nobody was calling. He then threatened to play something really horrible unless someone called in. Nobody called then he threatened to play St. Anger. :LOL: :LOL:

danyeo":k927jv8k said:
A local radio station cracked me up. It's a local college station that's played metal since the 80's, 89.5 WSOU from Setan Hall. The DJ was bored and was asking for requests and nobody was calling. He then threatened to play something really horrible unless someone called in. Nobody called then he threatened to play St. Anger. :LOL: :LOL:

He could have played a tune from Lulu..... :bleh:

webrthomson":twawyslq said:
Lets be honest why are we singling Kirk out, Metallica have been on a downward trajectory since Load - much as I like Death Magnetic it's not MOP or AJFA, hell it's not even Ride the Lightning ;-)

Yep, I agree!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

metalmaniac93":2fkvp239 said:
webrthomson":2fkvp239 said:

Yep, I agree!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I stopped caring about Metallica around '93. A friend of mine who loved them growing up and is into harder stuff than I am thought they sold out after AJFA. Me, I just remember hearing Load when in came out and being extremely underwhelmed. Couldn't help but think that naming the album Load was very appropriate.

Mr. Willy":2novglty said:
I stopped caring about Metallica around '93. A friend of mine who loved them growing up and is into harder stuff than I am thought they sold out after AJFA. Me, I just remember hearing Load when in came out and being extremely underwhelmed. Couldn't help but think that naming the album Load was very appropriate.

"Sold out" cracks me up because it's generally overused, mis-used and used from ignorantly without facts but from what I can tell, Metallica is just doing what they want to do and figure if you like it fine and if you don't that's fine too. Besides my impression that they didn't move in any directions with the motive of sales or any so called selling out, I'd say it could be argued that they've done the exact opposite of "selling out."

Not every band is AC/DC so there's bound to be stylistic/artistic changes with most bands.

if "selling out" equals making more popular music ($), I don't have a problem with that...my problem is they suck at that. Great metal band, terrible pop rock band. Maybe yet another version of Unforgiven will change my mind :LOL: :LOL:

danyeo":230m0xoa said:
Metaddict":230m0xoa said:
Really??????Another one????
Actually Zakk Wylde is using Pinch-Harmonics more in one song that Kirk is using his Wah in one whole show and nobody said something about that.
Kirk was and is still a great player/musician.To be honest i don´t like his vibrato either but that is his style.The way he plays, the way he is using effects.
But who am i to critsize a man who he in the business for over 30 years now and still successfull.

The guys in Trivium said they had a Zakk Wylde drinking game. Put on a Black Label song and take a sip of beer every time you hear a pinch harmonic! :LOL: :LOL: They were drunk after 1 song. :hys:

Lightweights.. :D
If Zakk had a sip every time he did a pinch, he'd still be sober. Beer ain't rocket fuel :D
A funny story nonetheless

And Kirk does NOT wank penta all the time. I've tried to learn some solos note by note for a tribute band. I can play faster harmonic minor scales than anything Kirk ever put to tape, but it was still hard stuff to learn, because of the quirkyness. I'm not a fan of his vibrato, though. For the same reason Kevin DuBrow wasn't my favorite singer :)

They intentionally wrote material for the Black Album with more radio friendly songs in mind. I don't view that as "selling out." At the time, I thought it was a logical place for them to go after AJFA. I liked the Black Album, still do. But there was a more heavy, thrashed based group of fans who hated that album. My friend was one of those guys. He can't stand the Black Album to this day and viewed the material just as the the band intended for it to do - to more "accessible" to a wider listening base. To him that was "selling out." IMO, the motive for the Black Album was a logical artistic step for the band, and that's different, to me, than what I believe was their motivation for St. Anger. With St. Anger they where trying to sound like bands of the time instead of paving new artistic ground like they did with the Black Album. But, I'm a nobody who plays guitar in a lame cover band and will never achieve the status of the James Hetfield's and Kirk Hammet's of the world, so what do I know. ; )

Mr. Willy":2pc3m2d2 said:
They intentionally wrote material for the Black Album with more radio friendly songs in mind. I don't view that as "selling out." At the time, I thought it was a logical place for them to go after AJFA. I liked the Black Album, still do. But there was a more heavy, thrashed based group of fans who hated that album. My friend was one of those guys. He can't stand the Black Album to this day and viewed the material just as the the band intended for it to do - to more "accessible" to a wider listening base. To him that was "selling out." IMO, the motive for the Black Album was a logical artistic step for the band, and that's different, to me, than what I believe was their motivation for St. Anger. With St. Anger they where trying to sound like bands of the time instead of paving new artistic ground like they did with the Black Album. But, I'm a nobody who plays guitar in a lame cover band and will never achieve the status of the James Hetfield's and Kirk Hammet's of the world, so what do I know. ; )

Yup agree with most of that - Metallica were at their best grabbing metal by the scuff of the neck and saying "no, metal sounds like this" - think MOP and AJFA, not trying to be SOAD or whoever they were trying to be with Load / Reload / St Anger. Seriously no solos because the drummer said so - WTF, get back behind your kit midget ;-)

I'm a die hard Metallica fan and have been for over 20 years. I grew up listening to them. The first time I heard Am I Evil and Master of Puppets, I was totally blown away by them. I was only a 12 year old kid then but that was the first time i'd ever really heard music that was so aggressive at the time. I pictured them as these evil monster people that were creating the music (this was just before they were starting to get played on MTV with One). I was hooked after that first listen. Initially I was a bigger fan of Kirk's playing than James and that's who inspired me to really pick up guitar. I thought he was a god. As I matured and got older and more refined in my listening, began to realize that Kirk wasn't all that much of technical playing wizard as I first thought. Sure he could play fast and held down some pretty tight rhythm sections. But then my horizons began to expand and started seeing other guys that were more technical and better players. I love Petrucci's playing and how technical and precise he is. He's great to listen to when I'm in the mood for that kind of epic playing. But when I want to hear just plain old in your face metal, Metallica is always going to be my go to listen.

Steinmetzify":3g12kqbr said:
Lmao at a bunch of guys that never have nor will ever come anywhere close to influencing the number of people he did to pick up a guitar. Stick to Friedmans and VH and what's 'organic and lush' instead of ragging on a dude for doing what you want to.

Every time this pops up is just reminds me of how many little girl haters this forum is populated with. Get a grip and play your fucking guitar instead of whining about how someone else plays theirs.
This. Exactly.

Steinmetzify":q4esu0xi said:
Lmao at a bunch of guys that never have nor will ever come anywhere close to influencing the number of people he did to pick up a guitar. Stick to Friedmans and VH and what's 'organic and lush' instead of ragging on a dude for doing what you want to.

Every time this pops up is just reminds me of how many little girl haters this forum is populated with. Get a grip and play your fucking guitar instead of whining about how someone else plays theirs.

+1

so much frustration...so much bitterness lol

Ok, first of all, I'm not -

a; Some idiotic basement guitarist as some have guessed. I actually make my living from playing guitar (Playing in 4 bands and teaching Mon- Thurs).
b; Jealous of Kirk's position/playing and want to attack him because of it. Sure, I'd LOVE to play in such a huge band and I'm happy with my own playing, even though I always think I could improve loads!
c; a Metallica hater. It was because I've been watching the awesome Live Shit '89 and '92 vids and his playing was really grating on me throughout.

Spare me the arguement of "Well let's see you sell 100 million albums and play in one of the world's most successful bands". Just because I'm not doing that, doesn't mean I can't criticise it.

But just watch this from 1989 from the start of his attempt at 'Little Wing' intro and solo at about 3.07 and tell me it sounds decent. I'll tell you what I hear - a basic, 'just about passable' go at the intro, then awful out of tune bends in solo with that 'weird' vib of his.

I did like the point someone mentioned about how he doubles one of the best rhythm players around and that's a great point which I never thought of. In every interview I've seen with him, he seems like a really cool guy as well and very grounded which must be difficult after having so much constant success and criticism from hacks like me ;)

I think you are all those things you deny. Where's the video of you doing all the shit Hammett did in the video you posted, only better? Rock is dead because there are so many note-wanking "virtuosos" that can't write music that doesn't suck. I don't GAF about, "technicality", most people don't, they want a song that doesn't blow, and everyone knows that contemporary music blows, otherwise Hip Hop wouldn't rule the charts. Here's the thing with your, "criticism" of Hammett, when you post that shit you open yourself and your opinion up to criticism just the same. Don't like people dogging your bad take, don't post it, everyone gets to have an opinion, ain't it great?

Back