How did Angus get such a horrible guitar sound with his gear

tallcoolone":3f37xd58 said:
And this is why bedroom players insist that Marshalls are "too bright"

^this

Aristocat":3f37xd58 said:
I actually really dig the isolated tracks. It's great when you can hear every single nuance and it's awesome about old NMV amps is that it takes a lot of attention to goose out a killer sound. You need to be aware of muting, attack etc.

MV amps are almost too easy to play for a couple of reasons. We don't need to play past 3 anymore to get something convincing going. In addition to that, a lot of guys do not EQ their amps for different volumes. Sure, getting off with the Bass on 8 is cool but when you're wide open, it's gonna get boomy quick.

Aristocat will tell you. I'll cut your frickin' head off with the treble

Would love to hear some of their isolated tracks from Highway to Hell or Back in Black.
Much prefer the tones on those albums.
BIB is a bit smoother, maybe less raw sounding compared to H2H.

I still think their bassist has the best job ever.

Not that difficult... come on, it's bass for ACDC
If you break your bottom two strings, no worry as you never needed them anyway.
Nobody recognizes what you look like.
Almost nobody knows your name.

and...

You play in one of the biggest rock bands of all time!

Haha, sounds like they dimed a marshall and threw a mic in front, lol. The songs make the tones iconic. :rock:

threadkiller":17opn2pc said:
tallcoolone":17opn2pc said:
And this is why bedroom players insist that Marshalls are "too bright"

^this

Aristocat":17opn2pc said:
I actually really dig the isolated tracks. It's great when you can hear every single nuance and it's awesome about old NMV amps is that it takes a lot of attention to goose out a killer sound. You need to be aware of muting, attack etc.

MV amps are almost too easy to play for a couple of reasons. We don't need to play past 3 anymore to get something convincing going. In addition to that, a lot of guys do not EQ their amps for different volumes. Sure, getting off with the Bass on 8 is cool but when you're wide open, it's gonna get boomy quick.

Aristocat will tell you. I'll cut your frickin' head off with the treble

I can't remember the last time my ears hurt that much. No bass and all high end :LOL: :LOL:

Look for iso tracks of Randy Rhodes. Same comments could be made of being too bright and harsh.

People would say it had weird mids, lacked balls, was not organic, lacked that chewy bounce...

Dude?? This would be no different than you walking through the streets with a tie and dress socks only! Not a pretty picture, I'm sure. The whole ensemble is required! These are the tones sometimes needed to sit in the mix properly and are not intended to be isolated.

You still have one of my favorite Avatars btw!!!

I also remember hearing Lifeson's isolated solos from Signals on youtube... sounded pretty bad

Another funny one is Downing's solo from Painkiller, which are clearly a bunch of licks pasted together

Business":jxb6z2st said:
I also remember hearing Lifeson's isolated solos from Signals on youtube... sounded pretty bad

Another funny one is Downing's solo from Painkiller, which are clearly a bunch of licks pasted together

You weren't kidding.. Glenn's is pasted together as well but it sounds more like he actually had a few phrasing ideas. Also listen to how bad KK's tone sounds, even in the mix there was no saving that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-YY-87DV0E

Heritage Softail":2f4vywca said:
Look for iso tracks of Randy Rhodes. Same comments could be made of being too bright and harsh.

People would say it had weird mids, lacked balls, was not organic, lacked that chewy bounce...

I would say the same thing based on his tone with the mix. Top player but awful tone.

Kapo_Polenton":2pli1aze said:
Business":2pli1aze said:

You weren't kidding.. Glenn's is pasted together as well but it sounds more like he actually had a few phrasing ideas. Also listen to how bad KK's tone sounds, even in the mix there was no saving that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-YY-87DV0E

That's interesting. Painkiller was a monumental work of art for me. When I listen to this, I feel like I could pull this off with some copy/paste moves :yes:
Especially KK. This was his best solo and it is really choppy to be kind. :scared:

Hey, it was a sign of the times... that is what produced albums sounded like. I agree that most of the isolated tracks sound horrible. Listen to some of the Bon Jovi guitar isolated tracks. Ritchie's tone is HORRIBLE! Bad Medecine, Living on a Prayer etc.... however, in most cases, sitting in the mix, they sound iconic. Everyone is trying to produce albums the same way today and we still complain about how bad the guitars sound... anytime they sound "chewy", they end up being lost in the mix. It's a lose/lose for the producer or bedroom producers today I'd say. Personally, I'd be happy as $hit if i could ever get anything to sound as good as a whole, as some of the examples in this thread.

Some people might also complain that Becker's tone here sounds fizzy and like he is using an amp sim for the rythms. How does it sound in the mix though? Godly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdjSw29Wsrg

sah5150":34grn2t6 said:
I know people like to hear clips of amps by themselves and I know a lot of folks only play by themselves, but to me, the only thing that matters is how a guitar amp sounds in a full band mix. Everything else is really just totally irrelevant. I think a lot of people would hate their favorite guitarists mixed guitar tones solo'd…

Steve

I was chuckling at the "all that matters is the mix" comments. Not at anyone specifically but because that's how I've done my demos since forever, yet the guitar only demo seems to be the crowd favorite.

And yeah, we've talked about that befor and I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Bob Savage":2p5di1b4 said:
sah5150":2p5di1b4 said:
I know people like to hear clips of amps by themselves and I know a lot of folks only play by themselves, but to me, the only thing that matters is how a guitar amp sounds in a full band mix. Everything else is really just totally irrelevant. I think a lot of people would hate their favorite guitarists mixed guitar tones solo'd…

Steve

I was chuckling at the "all that matters is the mix" comments. Not at anyone specifically but because that's how I've done my demos since forever, yet the guitar only demo seems to be the crowd favorite.

And yeah, we've talked about that befor and I know I'm preaching to the choir.
I think some amps are never appreciated because the owner does not have an opportunity to play in a mix.

geetarmikey":1dhs0bk8 said:
Mesas? Seriously? I thought Angus had only played Marshalls and SGs. What Mesa was he using?

http://folk.ntnu.no/roef/dc.html

angus%20mesa%20boogie%20rack.jpg

Back