How do you tell your wife you just spent 7000 dollars on monitors?

Tell your wife you killed a man by hitting him with your car and left the scene. Calmly tell her she needs to pack a bag so you two can start a new life. Half way through your drive to Mexico look over at her and say "just kidding I just bought expensive speakers." She will not give a flying fuck about the monitors.

Signed the owner of a set of Unity Audio Boulders = 10k.

hahahah! The comments did not let me down in the least, well played everyone. It’s interesting to see peoples responses, and even jokingly may be based on half truths of some of y’all’s experiences haha!

But no, financially it’s not a big deal, however it is interesting to see my wife’s reactions when I do things like this. Honestly, I’ve got it real good, she never complains or asks questions or demands I do this or that etc. in fact never once has me spending money on anything pro audio or guitar related ever come up or even been an issue in the least. Of course if it could effect us significantly financially, well that’s a different story for sure. I am quite lucky for sure.

But yes, I bought a pair of genelec 8351’s after having wanted them for quite some time. Sweetwater does 48 months a couple times a year so I said screw it, why not. I could pay for it all at once but hey, I’ll take free money anytime anywhere! They are absolutely stunning monitors and I got chills after I heard them the first time with a sub in a killer studio, mindblowing experience. I also realize most modern bedroom/project studios have one thing in common: a terrible start to try and make something into an awesome environment for audio, and a situation that can only get better up to a point, no matter how much money you throw at it. So that’s where genelecs GLM system comes in. It’s a DSP based room correction software. Others like room eq wizard are not in the same league as a system like this. So my thought process was to get the best monitoring situation that I can, and calibrate my speakers to the room and fix the issues as best I possibly can, Atleast the stuff that can be treated. You can’t fix nulls etc, it’s physics, it is what it is. But there are ways to work around them, and this is a good start.

They will be here Wednesday, hopefully when my other half isn’t there :D
48 month no interest, can’t argue with that one. A+

Don’t forget to mention this was for a PAIR of monitors. 🤣

After driving 3.5hrs one way to pick up a IIC+ I told my then GF (who went with me) about putting it in the passenger seat and buckling it up. She didn’t think it was very funny. I’m also currently single. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The amp aged way better than she did plus it puts out whenever I want it to - that classic “V” setting twinkles my toes

Good for you man. As long as you can afford it, who gives a flying fuck and enjoy your new toys! You're lucky you have an understanding wife. I've never had that problem thank god. I don't think I could ever tolerate otherwise LOL

No biggie at all IMHO.

Why should she even have to care as long as the bills are paid, there's food in the pantry and whatever monthly financial commitments are taken care of?

Are you using money from a joint account? If not, then fucking enjoy your Genelecs!

Real deal here.
When my entire house was crawling with
Boutique madness..I thought, "Yep, I pulled it".
About 8 months later I notice an $8800
withdrawal out of my bank account.
Turns out my wife figured it all out,
she knew those Wizards weren't cheap and
a whole lotta' more expensive then those
Marshalls and she withdrew that money right
before going on vacation with her girlfriends.
I know, I was BOILING..but wait a second..,
--That means more for me while she's gone!!!
G,A,S. is lit..burn it all down..
DEAD BODIES EVERYWHERE.

hahahah! The comments did not let me down in the least, well played everyone. It’s interesting to see peoples responses, and even jokingly may be based on half truths of some of y’all’s experiences haha!

But no, financially it’s not a big deal, however it is interesting to see my wife’s reactions when I do things like this. Honestly, I’ve got it real good, she never complains or asks questions or demands I do this or that etc. in fact never once has me spending money on anything pro audio or guitar related ever come up or even been an issue in the least. Of course if it could effect us significantly financially, well that’s a different story for sure. I am quite lucky for sure.

But yes, I bought a pair of genelec 8351’s after having wanted them for quite some time. Sweetwater does 48 months a couple times a year so I said screw it, why not. I could pay for it all at once but hey, I’ll take free money anytime anywhere! They are absolutely stunning monitors and I got chills after I heard them the first time with a sub in a killer studio, mindblowing experience. I also realize most modern bedroom/project studios have one thing in common: a terrible start to try and make something into an awesome environment for audio, and a situation that can only get better up to a point, no matter how much money you throw at it. So that’s where genelecs GLM system comes in. It’s a DSP based room correction software. Others like room eq wizard are not in the same league as a system like this. So my thought process was to get the best monitoring situation that I can, and calibrate my speakers to the room and fix the issues as best I possibly can, Atleast the stuff that can be treated. You can’t fix nulls etc, it’s physics, it is what it is. But there are ways to work around them, and this is a good start.

They will be here Wednesday, hopefully when my other half isn’t there :D

But real question: how's your band doing?

I never heard anything about the money on these types of purchases. I just hear about the space. "Where's that going to go?" or "What's going out to make room for it?" She's not unreasonable about it either. I tend to have a lot of stuff setting around, so a fair question. It's been years since I've called and talked to her about the financial issues with a gear purchase, but it's also been years since we were tight enough that it was a real consideration. I'll grant that $7k is something I would have talked about in advance....

To the one who mentioned not letting the wife know about these things. Ha. Mine is a CPA. She'll ask the question about anything above about $100 she doesn't recognize whenever it comes through the system. It's fine. She can ask. I tell her what it was. Let her log it and categorize it and we go on - includes serial numbers usually too, so not bad at all. (Also, she's more than half of why I can afford nice stuff.)

Lure her into your mixing area. Tell her you spent that much on monitors, and when she attempts to reply, crank the monitors up. Then stare at her and everytime she tries to talk again, crank the monitors up. She will no longer be mad about the price, but be mad at your actions in that moment.

Lure her into your mixing area. Tell her you spent that much on monitors, and when she attempts to reply, crank the monitors up. Then stare at her and everytime she tries to talk again, crank the monitors up. She will no longer be mad about the price, but be mad at your actions in that moment.
Or she’ll marvel at how amazing they sound and reward his wise gear choice with a hummer.

Ah... clever diversionary tactic bro'.

As a bonus, she'd become aware of the sheer quality of sound, which might shut her up too.

EDIT:
Dayum BB, you beat me to it by seconds. Bet you're a faster typist. Everyone's a faster typist than lil' ol' me. :LOL:

Shave off a zero and say they cost 700 and that you need to check with visa/mastercard.

But seriously, 7k?? That's a couple of beautiful analog pieces that would do more for your mixes. Or 7k into treating a room. Shit room, who cares how good speakers are. But more importantly, nobody is listening on 7k speakers. So reference mixing for car speakers, ippds, and computer speakers actually holds validity.

But if you have the cash, who cares how you spend it. My wife just rolls her eyes at my gear purchases and says nothing.

Back