Humbucker-sized P90s

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marshallman
  • Start date Start date
Marshallman

Marshallman

Active member
I own a Gibson Les Paul that I would like to modify with P90s that are sized like an humbuckers to add variety to the guitar collection. Wondering if any of you have experience with them and would make a recommendation? I looked at the Arcanes and also the Seymour Duncan - just under which ones are best.
 
BG Pure 90. I've had a ton of P90's from Gibsons made from the '80s-2010s, to Bare Knuckle, Duncan, and Lollar.

The BG's are right up there with any of them. I have one in the bridge of a 61ri SG, and another in a Gibson Adam Jones Std. Bryan is a fantastic guy to deal with, and makes legit amazing pickups for well under the price of much of his competition.

One of my concerns with many HB sized P90's was the chrome or nickle surrounds or covers. According to some it changes the pickups magnetic field, and so also tone. I actively avoided P94's and Phat Cats. I also tend to not like the look. So I looked for an HB sized P90 without any metal aside from the internals and mounting hardware.
 
Last edited:
How timely - I just received a set of humbucker sized P90s from Planet Tone. I ordered their 1956 for the neck and 1956 hot for the bridge. Had them install A4 mags instead of A5. Love my Planet Tone stuff. Highly recommend checking them out and talking to Jose if you want something specifically suited to your tastes.

My set, I want to try to cover pristine cleans up to raunchy metal riffing. Their standard P90s in that config sound great, we'll see how it translates to the new housing/style.
 
Tried a few with the SDs ended up yanking them. I really was never happy until i bought
My first P90 guitar.
 
Back
Top