If I only knew better....

Bitch picking is akin to "whisper vocals". It's basically having such a light pick attack that you're starving your entire chain for signal. So everything you play comes out weak, lifeless, and flaccid.

To put it another way it's like trying to fuck with a 1 inch limp dick. No one gets any pleasure from it and everyone walks away completely unsatisfied.
So, it's just like playing a Telecaster ?

-didn't understand why fuzz pedals sound like shit into sparkly clean amps
-scooped ALL them mids out
-Gain was either 100% or sparkle clean. Never on the edge. Same for gain on OD pedals.
-always played with too distorted of a tone. Seems like it took me forever to realize you need far less and the tracks you love have less than you think.
-always assumed country guys couldn't play.

I will say just cranking your mids doesn’t necessarily sound great either, how to sculpt your mids really depends on the amp and the context. Things can get very nasal and boxy with some amps.

Part of the whole misconception with Metallica was that there were no mids on AJFA when in reality it’s not that simple on a Mesa Mark. You can scoop out that 750hz pretty deep and depending on everything else there’s still going to be enough mids and harmonics to cut through.

I’m lucky. When I was 20 I got a 71 SL and a 72 Marshall 4x12. I played it cranked with all knobs on 10 except the bass along with a DOD preamp 250 and echoplex out front. Sounded killer. A few months later I got a 67 Plexi and a 1973 Marshall 4x12. That amp was to die for. Sold the 71 back in 2020. Still have the Plexi. I almost never play it.

I will say just cranking your mids doesn’t necessarily sound great either, how to sculpt your mids really depends on the amp and the context. Things can get very nasal and boxy with some amps.

Part of the whole misconception with Metallica was that there were no mids on AJFA when in reality it’s not that simple on a Mesa Mark. You can scoop out that 750hz pretty deep and depending on everything else there’s still going to be enough mids and harmonics to cut through.
Exactly I’ve had in band situations some very midrangey sounds that did amazing in the mix, but still sounded equally bad, honky/nasal when played alone. Who wants a bad sound that is heard more pronounced lol. Gotta have a sound that’s good AND cuts through well

I wonder if we all got our “set Gain to max and break off the knob” habits from the bad sounding SS amps we all started out playing that actually did sound terrible unless there was tons of gain happening because the “in between” tones on those amps were awful.

With the 10-0-10 EQ thing, we learned to do that on small, cheap amps while we were playing by ourselves, which is the only place those settings sound good. Also, at that time we were mostly used to hearing our favorite records on a stereo, not live, and cabs in the room played at home stereo system volume have about 20x more mids naturally than a stereo, relative to the highs and lows, so we learned to turn down the mids to make our guitars sound about the same as the stereo.

Basically, we learned our bad habits on cheap gear we played by ourselves, and it takes everybody way longer than most want to admit to start to hear that there could be a better way, and even longer to figure out what that way might be.

Funny post !
So when I was 18 I had a late 60's Fender Bassman that my mom's bf modded for me. ( Rick Erickson is his name he built the flanger you hear in Hearts Baricuda,
Modded , amps for Queensryche, Green River, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam ect ect ect. )
So he made it amassed volume added an effects loop.
I had a cab with Jbl k 120's
I did not like the sound it was too bright.
It was my first tube amp.
So I sold the cab with k 120's
Sold the head for 500 back then.
Bought a moss valve power amp, peavey rock master and a Art Dr x.
I never got paid for the speaker cab or amp 2 separate friends.
Fast fwd 25 years.
My old boss calls me and tells me he has my amp .
His son is the one who had it.
I got it back but it was broke.
Rick fixed it for me.
Very glad my stupid youth choice turned out with a happy ending.
The bassman sounds killer and takes boost very nice.
The moss valve, dr x and rock master are long gone.
Long live tube amps !
Does Rick still build those flangers ??? I’d be interested in one !

Does Rick still build those flangers ??? I’d be interested in one !
Rick does I believe.
He works now with another guy in Seattle.
Aviator Audio.
They are slow and always busy.
You could Google them call and talk to Rick.
Most the time he will talk shop and is very knowledgeable, but busy as well.
He also built Flanders for Queensryche as well as a few others.
He has worked on many people's amps as well.
He did some work for Joe Bonamasa as well a few years back.

I lucked out and had some superior guidance when I was starting out, my sister was dating Rowan Robertson (ex LUTW era Dio) when I started playing; I never suffered through Cavalera-itis.
He’s a phenomenal player, seems like a good guy too.

They say the same thing about Alaska.
FF3F54A5-FA94-4BDE-9192-1FBEDD25AD78.gif

I lucked out and had some superior guidance when I was starting out, my sister was dating Rowan Robertson (ex LUTW era Dio) when I started playing; I never suffered through Cavalera-itis.
Wow, loved his playing on LUTW, I watch his youtube quite a bit..... hope you got to jam with him a bit!
I'm pretty sure someone from the class below me at school sent off some demo tapes as well around that time.

Wow, loved his playing on LUTW, I watch his youtube quite a bit..... hope you got to jam with him a bit!
I'm pretty sure someone from the class below me at school sent off some demo tapes as well around that time.

Just a bit, but it was a very enlightening experience, especially about tone, gear, and creativity

"Les Paul, a Marshall, and passion for making music; everything else is spice to add"

That's still basically my home base, though the DSL evolved into a Larry, and the Les Paul custom changed into a silverburst, here I am 18 years later evolving my music more than my gear 🤷

Man I remember playing shows with a lot of metal/hardcore bands in the late 90’s and early 2000’s who all did the Bass - 10 Mids - 0 Treble - 10 Gain - 10 thing (usually on Jcm 2000’s). They always sounded simultaneously like mush and screeching ear rape.
You were in ear rape, too? How have you been?! :ROFLMAO:

Back