invective MH v invective.120

Hit me up if you have an Invective or if you are interested in getting one for yourself. This is mine.
20211008_231934.jpg
20211008_232915.jpg20211008_232729.jpg20211008_232938.jpg

I love this amp. In 22 years of playing this will be the 1st amp I buy and never trade off or sell. I've got others and had many more, some of which were more expensive (like the Mark V), but something about this one just seems to get me exactly where I want to be when it comes to exactly what I hear in my head, and anything else I want to try as well.

If you have a rep you deal with at Sweetwater, let them know you are interested. That's what I did, and eventually Dave hit me up and offered me one that they had used as a demo for one thing or another, and I bought the 212 Invective cab to go with it, but that I bought new. I got the same exact warranty that I would get if I had bought it new, and I saved several hundred dollars on the deal, which worked out because I had already set the $ aside, so I used the extra to put toward a new board build. I also financed it over six months which I didnt have to do, but it helps with credit soo I do it. That is an option you might consider too if you are looking for one.

When my Invective showed up to the house, EVERYTHING was just like brand new. It came in the original box and packaging, no different than if I'd ordered it straight from Peavey new. And I play it every single day. Its been almost a year and It still works perfectly.

Last edited:
I've played the invective 120. It's a pretty awesome sounding amp and cool features. Wish it didn't share eq's and also when you knock the master down and don't run it wide open it cuts the balls off the amp I've found.

These are made in china?
Yes, all Peavey amps are made in China. Been so for a while. My 6505+ is USA made from 2010, but thats right around when Hartly Peavey began to move production over seas.

While I will say that I agree 100% with the fact that the way he did his employees when he made this move was dirty, no 2 ways about it. Still it was something he fought for a long time and didnt want to do.

Peavey was one of the last amp companies to make the move, and he held out for much longer than he probably should have. I'm sure the amount of profitable revenue he lost due to this was substantial to say the least.

Im not saying that there arent amps being made in the US anymore, but the companies making those amps are not nearly as big as Peavey. Not even Mesa Boogie. And even Mesa Boogie has been sold to Gibson now, so it wont be long before we see the new generation of Mesa Marks n Rectos coming out of China or Guatamala or where ever. Peavey was MUCH larger than Mesa, especially back then. You have to remember that Peavey was not strictly a guitar amp company, they make products for every instrument yoy can imagine, as well as PA systems and more. They were about as big a company back then as a musical eauipment company could ever aspire to be.

Anyway, the Invective is made in China, but Ive had mine for a year now and use it every day, and I dont forsee any issues. Its like my 6505+. Its built like a damn tank.

I've played the invective 120. It's a pretty awesome sounding amp and cool features. Wish it didn't share eq's and also when you knock the master down and don't run it wide open it cuts the balls off the amp I've found.
There are separate EQs for the clean channel and the high gain sides. Its like a 6505+ but better in that regard. Ch 1 has a 3 band EQ with pre gain and post gain controls, and Ch 2 & 3 share a 3 band EQ but they differ from the 6505+ in that on the Invective Ch 2 and Ch 3 each have their own pre gain and post gain controls. I dont mind this, as most of the issues Ive ever had with global EQs is when I want to go from clean to dirt. After you are out of Ch 1, the EQ for the medium n high gain channels is not like to need to be so drastically different that you cant find a happy medium that doesnt feel like too much of a compromise, if any, from one to the next. My Marshall DSL is a killer amp, but that's the main issue I have with any Marshall (save the JVM), is the fact that the EQs are always global. With the pre gain and post gain controls on both channels, it makes finding a unity setting that much easier as well, because you can set them up to where there is no noticable volume jump from one channel to the other.

Far as the Master Boost feature, there is something to that as well, but for me it hasn't been nearly as drastic. I spoke with one of the guys who helped engineer the Invective about this, and basically what Ive found is that the difference is involved in the Master Boost being induced into the circuit in general. Adjusting the level will increase (or decrease) dBs, but its the boost being engaged (and therefore added to the signal/circuit) that causes the change in the tonal charachteristics of the amp. There are still usable tones to be had without utilizing the Master Boost, especially on Ch 1, but engaging the boost is what removes the torniquet from the testicles of the amp and allows you to go completely balls to the wall. Engaging the Master Boost is where the brootz kick into high gear for sure. This SOB can chug with the best of em and even puts many others to shame.

I am going to create a new thread for the Invective 120, so if you guys or anyone you know has one or is interested in it, come check it out. I'm always stoked to talk about this amp. There isnt enough buzz about it out there just yet, but before long I'm sure that will change.

Thanks for your interest, comments, likes/dislikes people.

I'll have the new thread up sometime tonight and hope you might check it out. I'll leave a comment in this thread with the name of the new thread, or a link, or maybe both.

There are separate EQs for the clean channel and the high gain sides. Its like a 6505+ but better in that regard. Ch 1 has a 3 band EQ with pre gain and post gain controls, and Ch 2 & 3 share a 3 band EQ but they differ from the 6505+ in that on the Invective Ch 2 and Ch 3 each have their own pre gain and post gain controls. I dont mind this, as most of the issues Ive ever had with global EQs is when I want to go from clean to dirt. After you are out of Ch 1, the EQ for the medium n high gain channels is not like to need to be so drastically different that you cant find a happy medium that doesnt feel like too much of a compromise, if any, from one to the next. My Marshall DSL is a killer amp, but that's the main issue I have with any Marshall (save the JVM), is the fact that the EQs are always global. With the pre gain and post gain controls on both channels, it makes finding a unity setting that much easier as well, because you can set them up to where there is no noticable volume jump from one channel to the other.

Far as the Master Boost feature, there is something to that as well, but for me it hasn't been nearly as drastic. I spoke with one of the guys who helped engineer the Invective about this, and basically what Ive found is that the difference is involved in the Master Boost being induced into the circuit in general. Adjusting the level will increase (or decrease) dBs, but its the boost being engaged (and therefore added to the signal/circuit) that causes the change in the tonal charachteristics of the amp. There are still usable tones to be had without utilizing the Master Boost, especially on Ch 1, but engaging the boost is what removes the torniquet from the testicles of the amp and allows you to go completely balls to the wall. Engaging the Master Boost is where the brootz kick into high gear for sure. This SOB can chug with the best of em and even puts many others to shame.

We will have to agree to disagree that it's a compromise that both gain channels share an eq. I just think it limits the amp when trying to use it in a live setting. I really like to dial in my crunch, rhythm tones to a lead tone differently and I feel like I'm not the only one that feels this way.

My friend bought a used invective that was 3 months old and had a volume drop out issue and Peavey would not cover it under warranty because it changed hands. He did replace all the tubes but still had the issue.

I'm not talking about the master boost feature, which is also somewhat silly that you have to have the foot switch to have full volume out of the amp - I'm talking about the channel volumes, I've found that if don't have them wound all the way up that the amp will loose some of it's balls and tone and really smooths out the tone. However one could say it's another way to get a different tone from the amp.

I still think this amp rips and sounds great besides what I would consider some compromises and would pick this over a 5150 or 5150II amp.

I love the invective, it has the best features of any modern amp for me personally. I only use 2 effects in the loop, and with the built in 9v power, OD and noise gate this head made my rig so simple. Wicked amp!

I have been told it won't be better than my Mailman FJA modded 6505.
That fucking amp kills. Everyone who has tried it while I have had it has tripped out.
And the undercover boss thing gave me digestive issues with Peavey.

Back