Jackson custom shop vs ESP custom shop

I love my custom jackson. But it did not come exactly the way I asked. I have heard that ESP has zero issues. Luckily, when I saw mine, I fell in love. I couldn't reject it. The things they got right were the most important to me. The things they got wrong are slight irritants, except for the inlays. I asked for no inlays, and i love my inlays, lol.

Reactions: rsm
ESP custom shops are fantastic, but so are Jackson Custom Shop gits. I have gotten all mine used so I can't comment on the reported screwups with the JCS, though I have heard more complaints in that regard as compared with ESP CS. Best Jackson I ever owned though was a late 90's USA Marty Friedman Kelly. Best ESP custom shop was an Arrow. I'd prob take the Jackson MF Kelly over all the JCS and ESP CS guitars but I've sold them all. Haha, oh well.

It’s a used deal, I’ll typically buy used… just actually sold my mick Thomson usa to get another guitar. Loved the way the thing played, but no trem bugged me. One buddy told me the ESP craftsmanship from Japan and USA custom shop both blows jackson out of the water… but I wanted multiple opinions… I’ve always been a Jackson guy, and sometimes wonder if it’s just inherent bias. But when you’re spending this kind of money the last 10 percent matters! If there is something better out there for the same price I want to know about it.

I had a couple USA Esp custom shop guitars and some Esp Japan guitars that were standard/artist models but not custom shop. Though I assume they are built in the same place, possibly by the same guys. I Also had several USA Jackson a couple being select series and others being custom. I would go ESP over Jackson because Ive found the ESP stuff to be more consistent. With that being said if you took a "good one" from both custom shops and but them side by side it would be a toss up and come down to preference.

Today: ESP Custom

20 years ago: Jackson Custom
This all day long. One of the absolute best guitars I have ever seen or played is my friends Custom Shop Jackson SLAT with string through bridge. Top is PRS Private Stock caliber, fit/finish is perfect....super resonant. Never had any issues. He got that new in 2001. Another friend bought a Jackson Custom King V in 2014 and the Ebony board cracked in two places within a couple months....

If you're buying used, I've never picked up a dud that came from either.

Buying new, I haven't heard great things about Jackson customer service in recent years.

I’ve had good luck with Jackson. Have a USA warrior, and a custom shop soloist. The custom shop soloist plays like a dream, but unfortunately I’ll probably be listing that one because I just cannot get used to a non-recessed tremolo. The new ESPs coming out seem crazy good. Pricing is confusing as they seem to be all over the board. Jackson for the QC issues lately I feel like are out of their mind for 6500 dollar custom shops.

Can't comment on esp,never owned one but all my jackson custom shops are dead on perfect.The meticulous and outstanding artwork and paint jobs and fabulous playing necks ( + the soloist body style) are what drew me to them in first place when I discovered them in the 80s..back then it was all cs.
My granite soloist is perfect,as is my 2 Saturn's and desert plain and master built arch top ( 1 of 2) thats on the front of the 94 catalog.The workmanship is just off the charts.
I own a gorgeous Tom a. and these are right there on par with it quality wise,if not better in some aspects. I see nothing wrong with esp's.The jackson soloist is just what does it for me.

If you to ESP USA make sure you buy, if still possible, a solid finished guitar, their figured tops are underwhelming at times

Can you custom-order a Jackson to have the bridge pickup extra close to bridge? I hate how some Jacksons have the bridge pickupe like a mile off from the bridge itself.

Can you custom-order a Jackson to have the bridge pickup extra close to bridge? I hate how some Jacksons have the bridge pickupe like a mile off from the bridge itself.
I wonder if the bridge pickup location is based on scale length. I'd imagine the pickup would be slightly further on a longer scale length if the cnc machine still routes the pickup in the same location on all guitars

Back