Jackson custom shop vs ESP custom shop

For whatever it’s worth, I never have the luck in these types of situations…it was the first time I’ve actually ended up with the exact instruments I was after…a massively rare occurrence in my life!

We all have that moment as a kid where you look up to a guitar and go, “oh man, that’s the one”…and these two were it for me.

I’ll never forget the day they actually arrived (after getting held in customs :oops: ) and I opened up the boxes and just stared at them like a retard. I was that same 16 year old kid again, just sitting there with snot running out my nose and drooling.

Doesn’t happen often, but when it does, it’s a nice warm feeling
Actually no , I've never had that type of moment and the chances of me expiring before something like that happens to me is a given due to my age .

OK , I think I've had just about enough of this , I can't take it anymore .:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Actually no , I've never had that type of moment and the chances of me expiring before something like that happens to me is a given due to my age .

OK , I think I've had just about enough of this , I can't take it anymore .:cry::cry::cry::cry:
C’mon there’s gotta be at least one moment like that! That one guitar or amp, there’s no way you’ve got 0 moments like that!!

I attempted to buy a nice tube amp once and was nearly murdered because of it , never again . I'm talking about wives not amps . Word of wisdom , think long and hard before getting married , the chances of serious injury or even death is real . No joke

I attempted to buy a nice tube amp once and was nearly murdered because of it , never again . I'm talking about wives not amps . Word of wisdom , think long and hard before getting married , the chances of serious injury or even death is real . No joke

Dang, that’s wild…what amp was it

Reactions: ccn
Dang, that’s wild…what amp was it
It was a 50 watt Marshall JCM 900 combo amp . I see guys post all the amps they own on these forums and I know instantly that there is no way in hell they're married . Wife at the time said a Pignose was all I need , I disagreed and that was something that you just don't do I found out .

It's good I was very quick on my feet back then because I was able to outrun her before I suffered any major damage :thumbsup:

It was a 50 watt Marshall JCM 900 combo amp . I see guys post all the amps they own on these forums and I know instantly that there is no way in hell they're married . Wife at the time said a Pignose was all I need , I disagreed and that was something that you just don't do I found out .

It's good I was very quick on my feet back then because I was able to outrun her before I suffered any major damage :thumbsup:
Some people just want to see the world burn. My wife just shakes her head at me. I know she's disappointed but as long as the bills are paid and the baby has whatever he needs she really doesn't bother me

For whatever it’s worth, I never have the luck in these types of situations…it was the first time I’ve actually ended up with the exact instruments I was after…a massively rare occurrence in my life!

We all have that moment as a kid where you look up to a guitar and go, “oh man, that’s the one”…and these two were it for me.

I’ll never forget the day they actually arrived (after getting held in customs :oops: ) and I opened up the boxes and just stared at them like a retard. I was that same 16 year old kid again, just sitting there with snot running out my nose and drooling.

Doesn’t happen often, but when it does, it’s a nice warm feeling
So cool! Can you please disclose approximate price of these?(PM me if needed) I have a friend with japanese passport, sooo 😁

Also, these are quite new, am I right? What year they were made?

Got my first ESP while in Japan last November. Stef B7 1 hum.

Had never been to Japan. Went for work. Got lucky because it was at tail end of pandemic and yen was low. Got a real great price and brought it back as carry-on.

First baritone, first active pickups, first ebony board, first string through. I am totally in love with Japanese ESP now. Wish I could afford more.

Played several Jackson custom shops. All sounded great. Was surprised by some defects.

So cool! Can you please disclose approximate price of these?(PM me if needed) I have a friend with japanese passport, sooo 😁

Also, these are quite new, am I right? What year they were made?

No worries man, It was roughly $4k each almost 5 years ago now if I remember correctly.

Just have your bud go to any of the ESP Custom Shop “build stations” or whatever they’re called. Usually those shops have all the different types of woods for bodies and fretboards on display pretty prominently.

Hope you’ll consider doing a thread on the build because it’s supposed to be a really cool experience!

No worries man, It was roughly $4k each almost 5 years ago now if I remember correctly.

Just have your bud go to any of the ESP Custom Shop “build stations” or whatever they’re called. Usually those shops have all the different types of woods for bodies and fretboards on display pretty prominently.

Hope you’ll consider doing a thread on the build because it’s supposed to be a really cool experience!
That won’t be anytime soon sadly, but in case I order one, I will definately make a thread. I would even try to get the Eet Fuk inlays, if I go for one.

What are the specs on yours?

20230508_080238.jpeg

Just ordered this off TGP

That won’t be anytime soon sadly, but in case I order one, I will definately make a thread. I would even try to get the Eet Fuk inlays, if I go for one.

What are the specs on yours?
Ah mine are stock MX250s, nothing special on ‘em.

One of those, “you can have it anyway you want it as long is it’s this way” hahaha

All mahogany with ebony board and EMGs, that’s about it

ESP won't make the MX shape anymore. Not even the CS. They're done.

Really? Not even for the Japanese market? Damn, that’s nuts if true. I heard through the grapevine Gibson out the screws on em again but didn’t realize it was an all out stop.

I haven't read all the replies but figured this is an important point:

The true Jackson custom shop is essentially closed to the public. They will not take your order if they deem what you want to require a "Masterbuilder," which annoyingly is a lot of things.

To order a Jackson as a regular guy without an endorsement, you have to stick within a limited universe of options.

ESP will do a lot of stuff, especially if you order in Japan, but obviously they won't do an Explorer any more.

I have a "true" custom shop ESP built last year (headstock says ESP Custom, not Original Series etc; serial number ends in 1). It's magnificent. I believe the wait time is about 24 months to order a stock Original Series. I assume it's longer for a custom.

I haven't read all the replies but figured this is an important point:

The true Jackson custom shop is essentially closed to the public. They will not take your order if they deem what you want to require a "Masterbuilder," which annoyingly is a lot of things.

To order a Jackson as a regular guy without an endorsement, you have to stick within a limited universe of options.

ESP will do a lot of stuff, especially if you order in Japan, but obviously they won't do an Explorer any more.

I have a "true" custom shop ESP built last year (headstock says ESP Custom, not Original Series etc; serial number ends in 1). It's magnificent. I believe the wait time is about 24 months to order a stock Original Series. I assume it's longer for a custom.
Can second the points on the Jackson custom shop. The 4 year wait gets you a guitar based on a menu of options. You check the box and that’s it. Nothing outside of the boxes.

Have asked a million times about masterbuilt slots from multiple dealers and the answer has been “absolutely not”.

The masterbuilt guys post a lot of pics of guitars they’re building which almost always end up being for endorser’s.

I think Fender is taking Jackson, Gretsch and Charvel down a limited production line route. If you call the Jackson phone number you get directed to Fender and then have to select a number for “specialty brands” which includes the three mentioned above.

ESP on the other hand has smaller wait comparatively and the sky can be the limit as long as you’re not hitting on some sore spots. I didn’t realize the explorer was completely off the table but I guess perhaps Gibson has really stuck it to them again :oops:

Can second the points on the Jackson custom shop. The 4 year wait gets you a guitar based on a menu of options. You check the box and that’s it. Nothing outside of the boxes.

Have asked a million times about masterbuilt slots from multiple dealers and the answer has been “absolutely not”.

The masterbuilt guys post a lot of pics of guitars they’re building which almost always end up being for endorser’s.

I think Fender is taking Jackson, Gretsch and Charvel down a limited production line route. If you call the Jackson phone number you get directed to Fender and then have to select a number for “specialty brands” which includes the three mentioned above.

ESP on the other hand has smaller wait comparatively and the sky can be the limit as long as you’re not hitting on some sore spots. I didn’t realize the explorer was completely off the table but I guess perhaps Gibson has really stuck it to them again :oops:
Sounds like my experience. I'm done with Charvel/Jackson. I was so annoyed by that experience.

The Ibanez LACS shop is clearly off limits to the public. Fine. But they don't trot out LACS stuff to NAMM. I'm begging Jackson for a custom order, and they say Sorry, too busy, but then each year find the time to shit out half a dozen "masterbuilt" NAMM guitars that are monstrosities of burled poplar painted in rainbow vomit. Is that really helpful to them? Maybe those things really do help drive sales for Jackson, which is depressing.

Back