JJ Jr. clip that made me contact Sweetwater

ClintN667":2uhfqlff said:
I dont think I can justify having a 4x12 at this age and playing mostly at home. I cant really turn up my amps cause my wife never leaves the house long enough for me to enjoy it. That's a reason I went ahead with the 20 watt JJ jr. I had to be realistic with my wattage needs. I'm leaning to either using it with my KSR cab or ordering another Splawn cab. Friedman cabs are running around $900 for a 2x12. I could get a Splawn for $700 or another KSR cab for $700. Kyle has been so good to me I will probably go with a KSR even though Splawn is located like 15 minutes away from me.

I was thinking a Creamback 65 cab or maybe a redback???
Would a 1x12 with a Redback be overkill?

LOL!! Tell your wife "I heard there is a sale at Kohl's". Stand back from the door because she will sprint out.... :D

Yeah, the Friedmans are pricey but I keep hearing people say things like "best cab I've ever owned", "tried going back but missed the Friedman", etc. The Friedman cabs have Creambacks so I would go with that. I'm not familiar with the Redback. Hmm.

It is really hard because it is not like a Friedman 1x12 is $100 and then it jumps to $900. So I keep thinking, if I get a small cab to be a cheapass, is it worth it in the end? And then like you said, I'm just playing at home. Crap, maybe I should just get a Torpedo and run into my studio setup. LOL!

I was just reading some old post on the Gear Page about 1x12s and a lot of guys were saying the Friedman 1x12s sound huge as well as the Bogner Cube and Suhr 1x12. In fact one guy said the Suhr 1x12 was one of the best he has ever heard. They were also talking about Avatar cabs. I actually used to have an Avatar cab years ago and sounded really good.

romanianreaper":1w7micf2 said:
Rex Rocker":1w7micf2 said:
The direct sound sounded atrocious.

But the mic'd sound indeed sounded great.

You know what though, I just listened back and not as bad as I orginally thought. I mean, it doesn't sound as good as the mic'd cab but it is pretty good. I'm sure with some EQ in recording software, etc. it could sound really good.
Actually, you're right. On a second listen, it sounds usable. The mic'd tone is where it's at, though. That amp sounds incredible.

Amp sounds great no doubt.

romanianreaper":swkeoeto said:
psychodave":swkeoeto said:
Since you mentioned it... It would be on my wishlist if it had fixed bias. I’m not big on cathode biased amps.

Dave, it has been years since my tube amp days and forgot alot of that stuff. I remember back in the day we all had a big discussion about this and always confuses me. Is fixed bias like the Mesas where they are basically plug and play or the opposite? I know that I wasn't a big fan of tinkering inside of a tube amp with the probes, etc. and liked when they had the external bias.

The reason it is confusing and why so many people forget is because of the way it was named.

Non Adjustable Fixed Bias - you can't bias the amp unless you mod it. Pro: plug and play. Con: less flexible and sometimes run hotter.
The amp is either self-biasing (like Cathode biased amp) or has a resistor at a set value that doesn't change.
most Mesa and many Peaveys are good examples

Here is where the confusion comes in-

Fixed Bias - you have to/should bias the amp using a built in variable resistor and some tools. Pro: adjust tonal characteristics based on the actual tubes in the amp/tubes may last longer. Con: time consuming and potentially dangerous.
Despite its name, the bias resistor is variable and YOU FIX IT (that how I remember it)
old Fender Blackface amps, Hiwatt, many Marshall big iron amps are good examples

(edited to avoid even more confusion)

Aren't Mesas non-adjustable fixed bias? At least Rectos are, I think. Same as original 5150's.

There is also adjustable fixed bias like Peavey XXX and 5150II and big Marshalls.

But I don't think most Mesas are cathode biased. At least not the Recto family. Not sure about the Mark series, but my guess is fixed bias also.

Also, AFAIK, the disadvantage of cathode bias is that you can't get as many watts out of a tube as you can with a fixed bias. To my understanding, it also runs the tube hotter, so shorter tube life.

Mesa's are non adjustable fixed. The resistor has a fixed value and cannot be adjusted (without modding).

Cathode biased amps are 'self biasing', but again are not meant to be messed with (without modding).

Fixed biased amps (like my Splawn) have a variable resistor so the user can adjust the amps bias based on the tubes they have (basically). Like everything, there are exceptions.

It is fucking confusing though lol

Well I just ordered a JJ Jr. I'll probably get it 9 years from now based on supply and demand. LOL!

I don't NEED this amp. But, I gotta say that I haven't been intrigued with an amp coming out in a long time. I have my Axe-Fx II and great for recordings but not a tube amp. My Supro Keeley is awesome but not a metal amp obviously. To have a small, USA-made Friedman with great tone that I can run direct or thru a cab, I think it is perfect for my needs.

romanianreaper":3uecfsyz said:
You guys are killing me. Not even an inkling of "meh, it's ok", "I wish it had this", etc. I'm f'd. LOL

I'm probably going to put the Les Paul Standard on hold for now. :)

I'm curious to see what smaller cabs everyone is using it with.
Man, I’d hate to be the douche but......

I listened to the first minute or so and was going to move along and not shit on your parade but then saw you made this post and thought “what the hell”. I thought it sounded like every other high gainer out there, nothing special to my ears. I’ve heard better clips of this amp. Hell, I’ve heard better from a 5150 for this type of playing.

Get the LP.

Sorry :aww:

romanianreaper":36uoltm0 said:
Well I just ordered a JJ Jr. I'll probably get it 9 years from now based on supply and demand. LOL!

I don't NEED this amp. But, I gotta say that I haven't been intrigued with an amp coming out in a long time. I have my Axe-Fx II and great for recordings but not a tube amp. My Supro Keeley is awesome but not a metal amp obviously. To have a small, USA-made Friedman with great tone that I can run direct or thru a cab, I think it is perfect for my needs.

Yeah mine was back ordered. I've been wanting something in the Marshall vein for a few months now since I sold my Nitro. Im going to try and be patient but there are a couple amps popping up on the used market that have me second guessing.

romanianreaper":1id7qu4z said:

Yeah mine was back ordered. I've been wanting something in the Marshall vein for a few months now since I sold my Nitro. Im going to try and be patient but there are a couple amps popping up on the used market that have me second guessing.

nevusofota":11o8vgeu said:

I listened to the first minute or so and was going to move along and not shit on your parade but then saw you made this post and thought “what the hell”. I thought it sounded like every other high gainer out there, nothing special to my ears. I’ve heard better clips of this amp. Hell, I’ve heard better from a 5150 for this type of playing.

Get the LP.

LOL!! Dude, it's all good. Not everyone is going to dig the same tones, etc. I think it sounds great but I also haven't had a tube amp since 2010. :) We'll see what happens. :LOL: :LOL:

romanianreaper":1rurpjob said:
nevusofota":1rurpjob said:

Get the LP.

LOL!! Dude, it's all good. Not everyone is going to dig the same tones, etc. I think it sounds great but I also haven't had a tube amp since 2010. :) We'll see what happens. :LOL: :LOL:
2010!? You’ll especially like it then.

311splawndude":1ynk566z said:
Mesa's are non adjustable fixed. The resistor has a fixed value and cannot be adjusted (without modding).

Cathode biased amps are 'self biasing', but again are not meant to be messed with (without modding).
That is my understanding as well. But Rectifiers (can't speak for other Mesas) and original 5150's still fall in the "fixed bias" camp, just non-adjustable fixed bias. Definitely not cathode biased.

https://www.thetubestore.com/bias-types

311splawndude":1ynk566z said:
It is! LOL

LP Freak":v3fotu2f said:
2010!? You’ll especially like it then.

Yeah Dave modded a Marshall for me in 2010 and this was even before the Brown Eye was out. It was a great mod but was a Plexi Reissue and not an ideal amp for a mod in my opinion. Plus, I was just playing at home and way too loud.

Other than a Splawn Competition back around 2005 or so and a Splawn Modded Marshall before that, my other tube amps were factory line (Peavey JSX, Peavey XXX, JVM, 5150-III, Mesa Single Rectifier, etc.). I haven't had anything under 50 watts really so I think as a bedroom player now, should be a great addition.

^ Love your prior amp history :D

Rex Rocker":fvkfobui said:
311splawndude":fvkfobui said:

That is my understanding as well. But Rectifiers (can't speak for other Mesas) and original 5150's still fall in the "fixed bias" camp, just non-adjustable fixed bias. Definitely not cathode biased.

https://www.thetubestore.com/bias-types

311splawndude":fvkfobui said:
It is! LOL

I think we are both in agreement and I refer to that web site all time. I hope I didn't come across as saying Rectifiers and the 5150 were Cathode bias.

I drank the Kool Aid & got one. W the cab. So far I’m
Blown away. Tones for days. & I’ve onky got a few hrs on it. Kudos to Dave Friedman & co. This is legit

Back