Just scored this 1974 Super Lead

screamindemon

Just picked this up today. Local guy had it even delivered it for $1800.00. Guy was 69 and used to play gigs with it in the 70's. He didn't even have a cab anymore so he brought it to me to try out. We plugged it in and his face lit up ! He jammed on it for a bit and I gave him the cash and you could see he was going to miss it but he said he was glad it went to good home. Cool dude and he had some chops too.

Thing is ear splitting load ! Sounded good but my ears are still ringing !

Now what to do to it ? keep it stock or do some mild tasty mods too it? Was thinking of cascading the gain stages and keeping a high low input. Don't want to cut it up or anything, just reversible mods. Going to replace the tubes , they are miss matched. should I convert to El-34's ?

What do you guys think ? What would you do ?

Attachments

• IMG_4081.JPG
    IMG_4081.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4077.JPG
    IMG_4077.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_E4074.JPG
    IMG_E4074.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 128
060202-F-6809H-100-1024x630.jpeg

Id at least replace the 6 Daly cap cans & the 2 bias filters if its going to get much use.
Would be a worthwhile upgrade.
The last 2203 JMP i had with 6550's it was just too much horse compared to my other one with EL-34's.
6550 is not even an audio tube per say. They were made for servo amps in B-52 Bombers many moons ago.

Last edited:
Id at least replace the 6 Daly cap cans & the 2 bias filters if its going to get much use.
The last 2203 JMP i had with 6550's it was just too much horse compared to my other one with EL-34's.
6550 is not even an audio tube per say. They were made for servo amps in B-52 Bombers.
Good call on the filter caps, I was thinking the same thing. Also considering converting to EL-34

Reactions: PDC
Do basic maintenance, get a PS100, and be done. ARS filter caps, new bias caps, replace those bias splitter resistors. And leave that Lemco 4700pf bright cap. Those are the best.

I see one changed screen resistor and a couple resistors on the board. What's the value of the bias resistor?

I have a stock 69 Superlead. Through the PS100 it's unbelievable.

Do basic maintenance, get a PS100, and be done. ARS filter caps, new bias caps, replace those bias splitter resistors. And leave that Lemco 4700pf bright cap. Those are the best.

I see one changed screen resistor and a couple resistors on the board. What's the value of the bias resistor?

I have a stock 69 Superlead. Through the PS100 it's unbelievable.
I was just checking out some tutorials of the PS100 looks very interesting but What if you prefer EL-34 power section doesn't kind of defeat the purpose of the Marshall EL-34 power section ? Looks like it has some great feature though.

I had a VHT 50-2-50 power amp and loved it but Was bummed they never made a 100 watt version with EL-34's I use to run my Langner preamp thru it when i was gigging.

Back