JVM, Rectifier, Fireball, Rockerverb, Invective & Diavlo shootout

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27494

Hey everyone,

I thought it would be fun and interesting to compare 6 of my big high-gain amps with one of my favorite guitars for metal rhythm, the LTD NW-44. That guitar really is something special, also because of that Bareknuckle Aftermath. It sounds pretty mean! So just high-gain tones this time, no clean or crunch tones etc.

The amps included are:
- Marshall JVM410H
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
- ENGL Fireball 100
- Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII
- Peavey Invective 120
- Randall Diavlo 100

When I was making this test I was blown away at how much all of these amps really have their own character, they all sound unique! Sometimes people like to claim that "all my amps sound the same" but I guess this is proof that they don't sound the same at all, even through the same cab (which I also included..)

Anyway, I hope this is useful to you or at the very least enjoyable:

My favorite this time is pretty obvious although I think they all sounded great! Which one would you choose if you could only pick one?

I really liked the Invective too, but was most surprised how much I liked the Rockerverb.

1 - Invective
2 - Rockerverb
3 - JVM
4 - Diavlo
5 - Rectifier
6 - Fireball

I had a JVM410 and didn't really like it, but it sounded pretty good here. None of them sounded bad. I Found the ENGL kinda blah though.

I like the mids on the JVM, but overall...FB100 in this clip.
I agree...

However, I hate to be that guy, and call me old school, but I fucking hate IR's. I don't care how good or fancy they may be, how popular they are, how "today" they are, they add an artificialness, fizzy and high end shittyness I can't stand.

Not to take away from OP's efforts, he does a fine, in-depth job, always. But mic'd cabs for me. I'd just assume go modeler than record a tube amp through an IR. It ends up sounding like a modeler anyway.

I really liked the Invective too, but was most surprised how much I liked the Rockerverb.

1 - Invective
2 - Rockerverb
3 - JVM
4 - Diavlo
5 - Rectifier
6 - Fireball

I had a JVM410 and didn't really like it, but it sounded pretty good here. None of them sounded bad. I Found the ENGL kinda blah though.

Agreed. Through the internal speakers on my MPB they all sound pretty much interchangeable, though the Orange and Peavey stood out immediately.

I agree...

However, I hate to be that guy, and call me old school, but I fucking hate IR's. I don't care how good or fancy they may be, how popular they are, how "today" they are, they add an artificialness, fizzy and high end shittyness I can't stand.

Not to take away from OP's efforts, he does a fine, in-depth job, always. But mic'd cabs for me. I'd just assume go modeler than record a tube amp through an IR. It ends up sounding like a modeler anyway.

Yep. 90's or early 00's Mesa OS would be the cab for this shootout.

I agree...

Yep.

That said, as I always say; clips are clips. Whether IR, mic'd cab, whatever, it's still just a clip. Fun, but not the same as in the room.

Hey everyone,

I thought it would be fun and interesting to compare 6 of my big high-gain amps with one of my favorite guitars for metal rhythm, the LTD NW-44. That guitar really is something special, also because of that Bareknuckle Aftermath. It sounds pretty mean! So just high-gain tones this time, no clean or crunch tones etc.

The amps included are:
- Marshall JVM410H
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
- ENGL Fireball 100
- Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII
- Peavey Invective 120
- Randall Diavlo 100

When I was making this test I was blown away at how much all of these amps really have their own character, they all sound unique! Sometimes people like to claim that "all my amps sound the same" but I guess this is proof that they don't sound the same at all, even through the same cab (which I also included..)

Anyway, I hope this is useful to you or at the very least enjoyable:

My favorite this time is pretty obvious although I think they all sounded great! Which one would you choose if you could only pick one?

Man your vids are so well done. Very informative and entertaining riffs as always.
I am partial to the Fireball but it's been my main amp for years now. I am impressed with the Diavlo..I hear a hint of that Fortin clanky upper mid thing...love that tone.

Man your vids are so well done. Very informative and entertaining riffs as always.
I am partial to the Fireball but it's been my main amp for years now. I am impressed with the Diavlo..I hear a hint of that Fortin clanky upper mid thing...love that tone.

Thanks! Yeah that Fireball is something else... The Diavlo is cool but it definitely is a unique sound. It was designed by Fortin fwiw...

Cool comparison! I definitely preferred the JVM the most, it seemed to me to have a bit more "warm roundness" to it, but not as much as the Orange, so it felt like the most balanced of them all. I thought the ENGL sounded kind of noisy, like there was some background hiss or something going on compared to the others? Also, the Diavlo sounded good, but somehow quieter than the others, so not sure if that affected my perception or not. The Invective sounded a bit too scooped for my tastes, but I can see why others might dig it for exactly that reason! Keep 'em coming. Cheers

Wow that Peavey Invective!
I liked that best, it was similar to the JVM but bigger, more clarity.
Mesa brought the big bass as usual.
Engl/Orange was meh to me.
My thoughts exactly. I thought the ENGL and Orange were pretty stuffy in the mids. Especially the Orange.

I agree...

I'm the same way. I've been slagged multiple times for saying it on R/T, but besides the tonal qualities, I think it also makes everyone's amps and recordings sound similar.

Probably because everyone always used the same IRs and types of IRs.

I get it man, not everyone can turn an amp up in a room and learning mic placement is hard, but the rewards vastly outweigh the cost.

BTW I prefer the fireball in this comparison.

I agree...

Just like micing a real cab... it can be done well and poorly with IRs.

Very easy to mic a real cab with fizzy high end shittyness too.

Back