Kemper versus Cranked Plexi

Which do you prefer? Amplifier attributes only...

• Kemper

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Real cranked plexi

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

lol, even in the Australian video cover image you can see they are also using a Plexi!

So much for your claims, you know the difference between digital and real deals.

You didn't even realize there was a real deal Plexi also going on in the Australian video. :rolleyes:

How could you miss the Plexi half stack next to the Kemper?

You have pretty much proven my point here that unless you are EvH with HIS rig / Plexi you are not going to sound like EvH with a Plexi just because you have a Plexi.

Nor will you actually know the difference between the real deal and not because you can't even distinguish the real deal with a real deal!

Apparently, the Australian Plexi did not sound so hot compared to the EvH's one, which sounds way better.

I wonder why? Could it have something to do with what I said here that you glossed over?

I said all along that golden ears get fooled in tests. I didn't even have to do a test to find golden ear claims even hoodwinking themselves.

Here is a poll on it. https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/golden-ears.219513/

Last edited:
Harddriver in another thread pointed out that the guitarist isn't using the pre-amp section of the Plexi.

Which is correct. It looks like it is a slave setup. Marshall power section is why most of us use a Marshall anyway. The Marshall power stage is where the Marshall tone is mainly at.

When you dial in a Marshall you dial the Power Stage first to get the distortion you want and then turn the gain up to taste.

Harddriver in another thread pointed out that the guitarist isn't using the pre-amp section of the Plexi.

Which is correct. It looks like it is a slave setup. Marshall power section is why most of us use a Marshall anyway. The Marshall power stage is where the Marshall tone is mainly at.

When you dial in a Marshall you dial the Power Stage first to get the distortion you want and then turn the gain up to taste.
What????

Says who?

You can dial in a JCM 800 with the pre gain maxed, then bring up the master to taste. Or, slam the front end with one or more pedals.

You can dial it in the other way of course; if you have no volume constraints.

What????

Says who?

You can dial in a JCM 800 with the pre gain maxed, then bring up the master to taste. Or, slam the front end with one or more pedals.

You can dial it in the other way of course; if you have no volume constraints.
Sure you can but is that why the JCM800 is the amp of choice here? The preamp section distortion? Or is it the power stage that this amp is known for? I can think of better ways to get that preamp maxed out gain tone at lower volumes than a JCM800.

You wrote-

"When you dial in a Marshall you dial the Power Stage first to get the distortion you want and then turn the gain up to taste."

That's not the ONLY way to dial in a Marshall. In a perfect world without volume constraints, sure. But that's why Pedals, MVs and attenuators are needed sometimes.
Just sayin.

You wrote-

"When you dial in a Marshall you dial the Power Stage first to get the distortion you want and then turn the gain up to taste."

That's not the ONLY way to dial in a Marshall. In a perfect world without volume constraints, sure. But that's why Pedals, MVs and attenuators are needed sometimes.
Just sayin.
I didn't say it was the only way. Just the reason why a JCM800 is chosen over say a modded Plexi.

Anyway if people think this thread is doing a fair comparison between a Plexi and Kemper then I will disagree on several grounds that it is even doing that properly given one involves slaving. Plus the poll omits a third option. That they are the same. Meaning it's a false dichotomy to begin with.

Awful strange the lengths some people go to try and convince themselves profilers can't recreate valve amps faithfully.

You seem to be going to great lengths to defend your beloved Kemper. Hey it’s a great tool to add to a nice stable of tube amps. Keep the good stuff at home; take the Kemper out to gig and record.
Win/win.
I don't use a Kemper. I use a Helix because it does what I need it do. I have Orange amps, Marshalls and EvH. If I needed a Kemper I would use it. It is plainly obvious with enough experience that profilers can achieve and do what valve amps can do contrary to claims that there is something magical only valves can do. I'll call that one out. BTW I am not the one starting threads with bad comparisons trying to push a bias. I use both.

Well, if your ears hear that they are equal then good for you. The GAS that affects most of us on this board should not be a problem for you; since you feel that the modelers are there. That is something you should be very happy with.

For most of this board these modelers are not there yet. When we feel they are equal, and they give me the same feel/response that a tube amp gives us then it will be a great day since we will be able to buy one to rule them all.

It'll save us a ton of cash, that's for sure. But, that day unfortunately hasn't arrived yet. Not to my ears anyway.

Anyway if people think this thread is doing a fair comparison between a Plexi and Kemper then I will disagree on several grounds that it is even doing that properly given one involves slaving. Plus the poll omits a third option. That they are the same. Meaning it's a false dichotomy to begin with.

Awful strange the lengths some people go to try and convince themselves profilers can't recreate valve amps faithfully.
Awful strange lengths some people go to try and convince themselves that the profiler is as dynamic, raw and alive as a real plexi.

Please compare and contrast the tones of the two amps and what you like about them and why. You haven't done that once in all your incessant prognostications that there is absolutely no discernible difference between a Kemper and a Cranked plexi. You come up with every excuse in the book why the Kemper does not have all the attributes that the real Plexi has in the clips.

You sir... undermine your entire premise with each protestation.

Please spare us the circular logic of a 5 year old trying to always win the argument by not comprehending what is being said in the conversation by other contributory parties. NO ONE is arguing with you about how good the Kemper sounds, you are arguing with yourself and looking pretty petty and intellectually weak. Why can' t you acknowledge that maybe just maybe the real cranked plexi exhibits audible characteristics that might be more pleasing to a guitar player for any myriad of reasons.

You are claiming a cranked Plexi can't be profiled to confound someone with golden ears.

That claim has long been debunked.

There is no magic circuit that can't be modeled digitally because the applied physics behind those circuits can be objectively quantified captured and recreated digitally. If not, can you state specifically the components that can't be replicated, and why not? Be specific.

It's like claiming valve computers (original computers) do something modern microprocessor computers can't. That tube TVs do something that can't be recreated by computers and LED/LCD systems. That tube radios do something that can't be replicated by an app on a phone. That 35mm camera images can't be replicated by digital ones.

The constraints there were (past tense) software development and processing power. That barrier was well broken by 2010.

Now let's do another reality check and address your claim about cranking a Plexi.

Do you think Plexi owners can usually do this? There we have some very well-known guitar personalities with huge collections of analog and tube gear who have probably cranked a Plexi for the first time in their lives.

This guy decided to profile a Marshall JVM and followed some instructions. 20 min later and he is playing a JVM through his Kemper like there is no difference.

And for those claiming EvH can't be replicated on a Kemper this video has the sound split between both so you can hear those 'differences' right?

lol, even in the Australian video cover image you can see they are also using a Plexi!

So much for your claims, you know the difference between digital and real deals.

You didn't even realize there was a real deal Plexi also going on in the Australian video. :rolleyes:

How could you miss the Plexi half stack next to the Kemper?

You have pretty much proven my point here that unless you are EvH with HIS rig / Plexi you are not going to sound like EvH with a Plexi just because you have a Plexi.

Nor will you actually know the difference between the real deal and not because you can't even distinguish the real deal with a real deal!

Apparently, the Australian Plexi did not sound so hot compared to the EvH's one, which sounds way better.

I wonder why? Could it have something to do with what I said here that you glossed over?

I said all along that golden ears get fooled in tests. I didn't even have to do a test to find golden ear claims even hoodwinking themselves.
The Plexi that was on stage was only serving as a power amp to the Kemper and to power the cab that he had on stage. This was stated by the Aussie guitarist of this band online. He stated that even though his Plexi is killer, he can get more out of the Kemper to give him the right tone and feel for the EVH stuff especially since they were trying to nail the VH1 album like a recording and not a ripping live raw performance. Yes his tone was refined and polished by that was his goal hence using the Kemper for this.

There's some angry tone chasing up in here

I'd take the Kemper for lots of reasons, but if I had my own barn and endless cash for wet dry wet stacks that would be cool

You forget how awesome a showman DLR was when you don't watch these vids for a while. That guy had the "it" factor too. Would not have been the same without him.

That last Kemper video is pretty damn awesome though!

Back