Late to another party... DTP

Red_Label

I've been aware of Devin (specifically his vocals on Vai's "Survive"... love that song)… but just never paid any attention to his stuff until I stumbled on his Retinal Circus live performance. His stuff sounds YUGE live. LOVE IT! I also love his work with Anneke (I find her adorable... solo and with Devin, The Gathering, Vuul, etc).

This stage show and sound is just so friggin giant... :rock:

Yeah he was an early AxeFX adopter and is pretty good at dialing that thing in! Saw him play in a little club a few years ago in Cleveland. Killed it!

fek":xy2hith7 said:
Yeah he was an early AxeFX adopter and is pretty good at dialing that thing in! Saw him play in a little club a few years ago in Cleveland. Killed it!

Good to know. I've always avoided the AxeFx (though I had a Helix and an Eleven Rack... which were great for what they were). I can see how a modeler would be the way to go with ethereal clean tones that he gets. And his metal tones are pretty heavy (and fuzzy/fizzy at times), so I could see how the modeler would be great for those tones as well. I swore-off modelers when I sold-off my Helix. It was the best modeler that I ever had though and lasted the longest. Perhaps I will open a spot in my musical heart for the Fractal unit.

Metlupass2":21hgpkmj said:

one of my all time favorite performances... Dev is favorite musician of the last couple decades, dude is just a monster vocally and on guitar.

Juggernaut":1ffoz245 said:
Metlupass2":1ffoz245 said:

one of my all time favorite performances... Dev is favorite musician of the last couple decades, dude is just a monster vocally and on guitar.

The more live performances I watch of Devin, the more I'm convinced that he's a hard rock/metal version of Pink Floyd. Which A-OK with me! :rock:

His catalog of material is INSANE, everything from the heaviest of the heavy to the softest most trippy stuff, I'm a HUGE fan.

Juggernaut":259dwsud said:
His catalog of material is INSANE, everything from the heaviest of the heavy to the softest most trippy stuff, I'm a HUGE fan.

I know man... it's crazy. Downloaded 12 of his albums off Amazon, and that was just a partial catalog. Finally had to tap out, because it's gonna take a while to digest! :LOL: :LOL:

with live albums and bonus discs (which are a MUST have) my Townsend folder (Including SYL) has 49 folders in it... couple extras as well for oddball covers and one off tunes). I pretty much binged his stuff for 10 yrs without many breaks. Enjoy the ride man, it's a fun one for sure.

Juggernaut":19xyt7kx said:
with live albums and bonus discs (which are a MUST have) my Townsend folder (Including SYL) has 49 folders in it... couple extras as well for oddball covers and one off tunes). I pretty much binged his stuff for 10 yrs without many breaks. Enjoy the ride man, it's a fun one for sure.

Damn! I can totally see why man. Amazing stuff. His live work rivals ANY band's live work in scope and beauty. Watching the Plovdiv show tonight. Can't decide on if I like it or the Royal Albert Hall show better. Both are mindblowing. Retinal Circus brought me into the fold (I was binge watching Anneke performances and that's how I got to Devin). But RC has now been relegated to my 3rd fave.

I've gotta see this guy live one day. Since I live in MT... I'll have to drive at least 500 miles... like I often do to see huge bands, or lesser known ones like DTP.

RAH is my favorite, if for any other reason on the Plovdiv show, his voice seemed strained and not as fresh as it did on RAH. regardless both shows are AMAZING....

Absolutely go see him if you get a chance, even if it's an acoustic show, dude ALWAYS delivers and entertaining set.

Juggernaut":3pjbgthb said:
RAH is my favorite, if for any other reason on the Plovdiv show, his voice seemed strained and not as fresh as it did on RAH. regardless both shows are AMAZING....

Absolutely go see him if you get a chance, even if it's an acoustic show, dude ALWAYS delivers and entertaining set.

Roger that. I definitely will. I can't fathom how someone can scream like him into his 40s. I know that he's been doing it a long time, but it's amazing. I generally HATE "cookie monster screamo" type shit, but everything he does serves the music so well. I was watching a ton of interviews with him, NAMM event, live recording demo, etc... and loved what he had to say. My favorite was the Mary Spender "Chewsday Tawks" episode. Admittedly, part of that equation was the ever adorable Mary. Yummay...

Better late than never :rock:

He has a good YouTube video showing how he records his wall of sound with layers and such. He seems like a cool, down to earth dude too. Saw him live once at the old Masquerade in Atlanta, great show. I think he called it nerd metal.

Well smack me across the fucking room as well!!! :LOL: :LOL:
That was KILLER!!!
I have never gave him a chance since I owned was it Strapping young Lads?? :confused:
Really did not like that cd.

Probably 20 years back? Think it was CITY.

But this new vid that was posted opened my ears up!!

Thanks for sharing! :rock:

Mailman1971":5ljzv7tv said:
Well smack me across the fucking room as well!!! :LOL: :LOL:
That was KILLER!!!
I have never gave him a chance since I owned was it Strapping young Lads?? :confused:
Really did not like that cd.

Probably 20 years back? Think it was CITY.

But this new vid that was posted opened my ears up!!

Thanks for sharing! :rock:

Dude... I haven't been this stoked about a "new" musical find since I stumbled on Kamelot after their Black Halo album back in the mid-2000s. Only Devin's back catalog is friggin YUGE. Lots to digest there. And I didn't like SYL either, which is why I'd written him off.

I stumbled on an old Vai performance on the Jay Leno show, with Devin singing "Still My Bleeding Heart (off the Sex and Religion album) and TM Stevens on bass. What a rockin, funky ass performance. Probably the most rocking high energy performance I've ever seen on a late night show.

Damn... my effing phone won't embed for some reason.

https://youtu.be/e-ynEpNTcVQ

Really digging other huge live performances, like Stormbending, Seventh Wave, Life and others from the Live PlovDiv show.

I watch a ton of live shows on my 70" home theater (preferably at night with the lights out and LOUD) and not a whole lot of them make you feel like you're truly there. But the RAH and Plovdiv shows are making me feel like that. A few others of note are Pink Floyd's "Pulse", Kamelot's "Cold Winter's Night", Nightwish's "End of an Era", and some others. HD DVD and Blu-Ray are the best. But these HD shows on YouTube are pretty amazing.

Part of DTP's huge live sound is the fact that they NAIL the records (I've been binge-listening the CDs for a couple of days now). I realize that DTP are using some backing tracks, like most other bands do anymore. But still... they are dialed-in to perfection with tones and parts. Can't really say that with a lot of bands. It's easy to tell what bands really work their asses off to prepare and which don't. Alter Bridge is another band that works their asses off to deliver live.

I got pretty good computer speakers. Not super duper great like a stereo.
But man..... it was recorded EXCELLENT compared to most vids I watch.
Gonna have to pick up that on cd

Mailman1971":3ke2km35 said:
I got pretty good computer speakers. Not super duper great like a stereo.
But man..... it was recorded EXCELLENT compared to most vids I watch.
Gonna have to pick up that on cd

What I'm amazed at so far is how close the studio and live recordings are. Usually I prefer one over the other (studio usually of course), but I'm loving BOTH live and studio versions of many of these songs.

Back