Les Paul weight relief question.

Loudness250

So I picked up a 2014 LP Traditional Pro 2. And I'm super happy, it's awesome. I think it feels and plays like an old school LP but with killer action on the 50's neck. I was doing some reading up on these guitars and I read that they are weight relieved. This one that I just bought does not feel like a 7.6Lb guitar which is what I read somewhere. My question is, With the weight relief, wouldn't different guitars still end up weighing a little heavier or a little lighter depending on how heavy they were to start with? I ask this because I believe my guitar is more like 8.5 lbs.

I read up on that model before. I think it has the 9 hole weight relief method or something like that. Does that also have push pull coil split and push push boost? Grats on that guitar btw!

I guess it has the coil splitting with the push buttons and also a 10 db volume boost with the push of a button, that could be pretty cool I'll check it out. But I read that they are all around 7.5 pounds and I seriously do not thing this one is anywhere near that light. And I like that!!.

I guess what I am thinking is that they take a Les Paul body and they drill out 9 holes, but if the body that they started with is super heavy, it will still end up heavy..........thoughts?

Mesa\Kramer":2rw1o41b said:
Chambered LP's run in the 7 lb range but the 9 holers are 8 lbs and up usually

Thanks man, yeah, this thing is a tank. I also noticed that it does not have push button activated anything. And it has a Standard truss rod cover. It's a mystery guitar, lol.

FWIW, I have an early 2000's LP Standard that AFAIK is weight-relieved and it's right at 9#.

I'd rather have a weight-relieved 9 pounder than an non-weight-relieved 11+ pounder. I had a Heritage that weighed well over 11# and as good as it sounded, as well as it played, as pretty as it was it just had to go. Non-starter for me.

Weight Relief for all Gibson's that have it, would be the 9 hole method & the weight will vary from LP to LP. I have 5 Les Pauls with weight relief & they all are different weights.

DET1973":1e1jhvbe said:
...I have 5 Les Pauls with weight relief & they all are different weights.
Which makes perfect sense... Like the OP inferred, they won't all weigh the same at the start because of the differences in the density of the wood used, so they will all weigh slightly different even if the exact same size/pattern of holes is used for the relief.

They weigh the blanks before drilling the holes... they shoot for a drilled body weight between 8-9 pounds. Sometimes it's more or less. Depends on the batch of wood. All production Gibson Les Pauls are weight relived. Either modern weight relief or old drilled 9-holes. If you want the original old school (Historically accurate) Les Paul get a Historic Reissue. Solid body, no holes, no chambers.

Wizard of Ozz":siymoh3y said:
They weigh the blanks before drilling the holes... they shoot for a drilled body weight between 8-9 pounds...
Did not know that. Thanks :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure the 2014 Trad Pro II's were NOT weight relieved. My 2013 Trad Pro II is NOT... Pretty sure Gibson went back to weight relief on Traditional's in 2015.

Ok, I figured out by the serial number :doh: That it is actually a 2001 Les Paul Standard. I talked to the store owner about it this morning and he was cool about it. It's in really good shape so I am actually stoked! I think the owner might have a talk with his people about double checking stuff like this though.

Loudness250":26s4x2z0 said:
Ok, I figured out by the serial number :doh: That it is actually a 2001 Les Paul Standard. I talked to the store owner about it this morning and he was cool about it. It's in really good shape so I am actually stoked! I think the owner might have a talk with his people about double checking stuff like this though.

Sweet... I remember seeing the "Standard" on the trust rod cover but the tag said Traditional pro 2. Great neck on that guitar.

errrrrl":3m5wl889 said:
Loudness250":3m5wl889 said:

Sweet... I remember seeing the "Standard" on the trust rod cover but the tag said Traditional pro 2. Great neck on that guitar.

I know man, the neck is killer the frets look awesome. I was up front with him and he was totally cool about it. He was like "well you know, I guess you got the slightly better deal but you know, shit happens". lol

Back