Let's Talk Splawn PROMOD

DET1973

I have never played one and i currently have a Marshall Jubilee. I'm looking to add something with more SAG, Gain and Low End. I love the old Stuck Mojo Tone, I'm looking for something like that with a lot of warmth.

I've owned 2 QR's and played several others and none of them had warmth or sag. I love the tone and angry voicing of the Splawns but I need more sag and warmth. I have yet to try the new revisions to the Nitro, QR 2012, or B+ which I'm gassing for now. A pedal would help but I'm just not much of a pedal guy.

Edit: The StreetRod has really got me thinking though.

I researched this to death a few months back. Apparently 2012 and beyond Splawns have a bit more sag than previous years/makes.

You can also get the drop B+ option, which adds even more sag, ala Van Halen's early tone and amp "feel".

I played a 120w Splawn with KT88's a few months back. It was warm enough and pretty crushing when you want it to.

Junk Yard Dog":2095mx6o said:
I researched this to death a few months back. Apparently 2012 and beyond Splawns have a bit more sag than previous years/makes.

You can also get the drop B+ option, which adds even more sag, ala Van Halen's early tone and amp "feel".

I played a 120w Splawn with KT88's a few months back. It was warm enough and pretty crushing when you want it to.

Thank you so much, i was wondering if the Drop B+ Option would get me in the ball pack of what i'm looking for.

I've owned a few Splawns over the years - love 'em!! The ProMod was my favorite of the bunch, but it is the loudest, brightest and crispiest of the bunch. I have not played a Nitro or a Splawn model with the B+ option. In my experience, I think the Streetrod has the least attack / brightness of the bunch. If you want to tame the attack of these amps, they all have half power switches which tend to soften them a bit. You can also use a compressor.

IMO, a great Marshall tone (I mean this as it applies to both Marshalls and Marshall-inspired amps) has great bite and sizzle. Not ice-picky, but sharp and crisp -- maybe too harsh for some tastes. I've heard people use the term "unforgiving".

I think Splawns are awesome, but maybe a Marshall inspired amp is not your thing.

Don't own a Promod. Never have...

That said, I have 2 Quickrods. One is a '06 and one I just got, it's a 2013 with B+ option.
These are TOTALLY different amps!! Both are awesome in their own ways.

I do like both and definitely enjoy the effects loop and the mode button on the footswitch of the 2013 more.
The loop on the '06 is useless, never use it and the adjustable volume on the loop of the 2013 makes it very nice.

The '06 has something different...aggressive is a good word. I feel the VH tones oozing from this amp. Mode 1, gain at about 12-1pm HOLY SH*TBALLS!!
Yes, not a very forgiving amp. You play it, you hear it...ALL. Once you get used to what it demands, it is fantastic and offers good distorted tones along the spectrum.
Not a great clean, more a clean w/ break-up, like a fendery-type thing.

The B+ option changes things. It is a different animal AND as was mentioned, the later models have some changes.
The loop has a Master, footswitch has a mode button (previously you couldn't change modes other than manually), the clean channel is GREATLY improved.

I will suggest you try BOTH if you can. There is more to hear and it will take playing through the heads with the same cab to get a sense of the way they each behave.
I would consider running them together, because they are different and the same as well...hmmm, I gotta try that.

Good luck...You could always call Splawn directly. Scott is a great guy to deal with and he makes killer amps and cabs at reasonable prices.
I hear great things about his cabs, although I don't own any currently.

I have an 05 Quickrod and it is dry, mean and in your face. There is nothing saggy about any Splawns. They are dry, tight and in your face. With certain cabs and guitars they can be extremely bright

If you want sag and bottom end I would look into a mark IV. They are much more saggy and forgiving

Back