looking for mic suggestions for 4x12

Also, just something to think about/ a way of thinking: all of our favorite guitar tones that we love on records and are influenced by, are NOT the sound of an amp in the room. They are the sound of a microphone on an amp/cab. In general, “ that sound” is the sound we are chasing, when are talking recording guitars, which you obviously are, since we are talking about microphones. And the microphone you are more often than not hearing on those records???? I don’t think I need to tell you that at this point :D

Of course, eq, mic placement/technique, outboard gear etc all play into this, but still: it’s the sound of a microphone on a cab you are chasing.

Also, just something to think about/ a way of thinking: all of our favorite guitar tones that we love on records and are influenced by, are NOT the sound of an amp in the room. They are the sound of a microphone on an amp/cab. In general, “ that sound” is the sound we are chasing, when are talking recording guitars, which you obviously are, since we are talking about microphones. And the microphone you are more often than not hearing on those records???? I don’t think I need to tell you that at this point :D

Of course, eq, mic placement/technique, outboard gear etc all play into this, but still: it’s the sound of a microphone on a cab you are chasing.
duly noted man!!

No offense meant, but it might be the sound YOU are chasing and YOUR favorite guitar sounds. Not everyone wants that. I like the older stuff, lots of room sounds in that stuff.

This year I plan to get a Royer 101 and an SM57.

I like ribbon mics but I actually don’t like the a 121. The 50Hz boost adds too much tubby character for my preferences. The 101 has a 100Hz boost instead and more highs.

I’m not a fan of the 421. It’s not true to the cabinet or speaker sound and puts its own thing on the recording which I just don’t like. I’m just not a fan.

No offense meant, but it might be the sound YOU are chasing and YOUR favorite guitar sounds. Not everyone wants that. I like the older stuff, lots of room sounds in that stuff.

I get what you are saying, but the fact still remains: the overwhelming majority of iconic guitar tones over the last 40 or so years are the sound of a closed mic’d guitar cab. I’m also of course considering the culture of this forum, which is overwhelmingly and predominantly metal and hard rock oriented, and those tones are without question, what I’m referencing and referring to about capturing.

Back