Looking for pickup recs for a partscaster

dirtyfunkg

Sup fellas

I'm planning out a new HSS partscaster build. Looking at mahogany or black limba with a flame maple top, roasted maple neck w/ ebony fretboard. Rear routed. I'm probably going to put a Gotoh 510 or a Floyd.

Any recommendations on what pickup combo to go for?

Background: If they were able to match in terms of levels/output, my dream would be a pair of Duncan SSL-1's then a JB in the bridge. Yeah... I'm a JB guy. However, those pickups are wildly unbalanced.

Goals:
I really love Strat neck and the neck/middle blend tones. The pinnacle of Strat tone is in the Hendrix and Frusciante (Blood Sugar) vein. Demoing a Strat and its pickups usually involves playing Soul to Squeeze and Bold As Love to check the clean and edge of breakup tones, then .

For the bridge position, as I mentioned, the JB is my favorite pickup that I've played (it came stock in my Edwards LP and I've completely gelled with it). That said, I'm open to trying something different. I like the tightness and bite of the JB. It cuts in the mix really nicely. I never use it for clean tones, though because it just sounds thin at lower gain. I'd love for the bridge pickup to be good for splitting, also.

Any recs?

Back