Mark IV vs JP2C

I had a JP2C and I like my Mark IV way better and even my Mark 5 35 better too. Both of those amps stack up well against my JJ100 and EVH 5150 III, where as I always felt the JP2C couldn't run with the JJ100 especially. I know lots of folks love them, but it wasn't for me.
is the mesa distortion much different then the jj? Like how the diezels have this thick fuzzy kind of thing going. I have a be 100 and have trouble getting that think rhythem tone of dream theater

is the mesa distortion much different then the jj? Like how the diezels have this thick fuzzy kind of thing going. I have a be 100 and have trouble getting that think rhythem tone of dream theater
Yes. The JJ is definitely square in the Marshall camp. It's a lot more polished and refined. I tend to keep a Marshall flavored amp, a 5150 flavor, and a Mesa flavor. The mark iv is not super tight but tight enough as that I don't need a boost.

I sold mine so that I could pay for my custom explorer. I lost track of time on my build and had to come up with the balance a bit of a hurry. It's only been gone a little over a week and I'm missing it. After reading these comments I ordered another one. My wife actually encouraged me to replace it with a IV. She said "you loved that amp and you would just keep pining over it if you got something else until you got it back like you did with me". She has a point. :)
Good choice imo. Raw dog it.

The JP2C is great and sits in a live mix insanely well but the more compressed/modern/polished thing is real.

Ah I asked because I have my Mark III Blue Stripe HRG listed locally and thought it might be me
I think I'm going to try to grab a III next year. Or maybe I might say eff it and get a 2c+. Although it's hard to justify a 2c just to play at home.

I've owned a Mark IV and have the JP2C. I prefer the JP2C over because in my opinion it's easier to balance the 3 channels with the 2 graphic eq's. I also like the tone of the JP for the more modern style and downtuned playing. Really like the shred feature for this. This amp does sound a little more polished sounding in my opinion then the Mark IV.

I've owned a Mark IV and have the JP2C. I prefer the JP2C over because in my opinion it's easier to balance the 3 channels with the 2 graphic eq's. I also like the tone of the JP for the more modern style and downtuned playing. Really like the shred feature for this. This amp does sound a little more polished sounding in my opinion then the Mark IV.
I get that. The other 2 channels on the mark iv rarely get used although I had an absolutely great crunchy lead tone on R2 for a bit.

I definitely want to try the JP2C as it seems fantastic feature wise. What I would love is something like the badlander in a Mark flavor. Two identical channels that could be configured as clean, crunch or lead then 2 GEQ's? I would buy as soon as it would be announced

someone sold a jp2c for like 2500 a while back in the classifieds. I almost snagged that fucker but I just haven't really gotten back into playing at the time yet. Fuckers are pricey.

In general yes because of their different DNA. I've never tried a BE 100, and I know the JJ shares lineage with the BE, but I've never had trouble getting a thick, tight tone from it.

Next to the JP2C, the JJ sounded huge, thick and beefy yet still tight where as the JP2C sounded small compared to it. That's a weird thing to say, I know, because the JP2C isn't a small sounding amp. Maybe focused is the better description. Like the 2C mode on my Mark 5 35, the JP was just more focused sounding and occupies a narrower sonic specturm.

By contrast, the Mark IV is bigger sounding and has a broader, thicker sound. It could just be what I prefer! I was also considering getting rid of the JJ for the JP2C so that may have influenced me.

I've bought and sold the JP2C twice, and currently own a IIb, III++ green stripe, and IVb. First thing I will say is, yes, I do miss the JP. It's a great amp, very flexible, and brings the goods. You've probably seen this video but I think it does the best job comparing the two:

Matt writes about the boxiness of the JP and my impression is the same. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the mids to sit just how I wanted them to (even using a parametric EQ didn't quite solve it). I also found the JP to be slightly lacking in aggression compared to the III and IV, though from what I've read the same can be said of the IIC+. Shred mode solves this to an extent, but IMO exaggerates the upper mids too dramatically. I'd prefer to boost with my pedal of choice and tweak the tone/eq knobs.

JP cleans are A+ compared to A- in the III and IV, but this wasn't critical enough for me to keep all 3. I think for a lot of us, we'd keep every damn amp we buy if we could afford it, but with limited funds something has to go. For me the older marks just sound better, and I haven't even played a real IIC+.

Man I miss my red stripe III. Played that amp for a really long time. The band I was in was really dynamic so I wanted something that did clean, crunch, and lead all well. Replaced it with a IV, which had better versatility, but the sizzle on the lead channel was never quite there. The presence control on the III was so powerful.

Got rid of the IV and metal grille when I figured half stack playing days were over. Then bought a V:35. Now I want a III head again, haha. Probably wont pull the trigger though since the V:35 scratches the itch for the bedroom.

Does anyone actually know the reason(s) why the older marks sound better? They for sure do! Is it the circuit? Transformers? Caps?

I 've owned more than 5 mark IVs / 2 2C+s (which I still have) and all the mark III stripes. My buddy bought a JP some months ago and I've played it several times. In my opinion, it doesn't actually lack the aggression of the early mark series but it does lack the "in your face" and raw tone of these old amps. With the right settings, this amp can be dialed to sound really aggressive. Of course it's more modern and compressed sounding but it has plenty of gain and has all the characteristics the mark family shares. It's super versatile as well. Now, the million dollar question is "Should I get the JP or the Mark IV?" Well, to put it very simply, I would say that both amps sound amazing. Of course it goes without saying that being older, the mark IV might need new caps / tubes ...

I 've owned more than 5 mark IVs / 2 2C+s (which I still have) and all the mark III stripes. My buddy bought a JP some months ago and I've played it several times. In my opinion, it doesn't actually lack the aggression of the early mark series but it does lack the "in your face" and raw tone of these old amps. With the right settings, this amp can be dialed to sound really aggressive. Of course it's more modern and compressed sounding but it has plenty of gain and has all the characteristics the mark family shares. It's super versatile as well. Now, the million dollar question is "Should I get the JP or the Mark IV?" Well, to put it very simply, I would say that both amps sound amazing. Of course it goes without saying that being older, the mark IV might need new caps / tubes ...
And it'd still be worth it!

Yeah I was going to shoot you a message to ask you. But then I just bit the bullet and got another 4. I definitely will send this to mesa for a checkup. I have a vtm at my techs then as soon as it gets done I need to take my 6505.

One thing that sucks about getting a used amp you have no idea really what shape it's in on the inside. Sure you could open it and see if any caps are bulging but I don't want to wait that long.

Back