Marshall Super Bass High Gain Rebuild

EddyLenz

Hi Everyone,

Finally finished this high gain rebuild. The amp wasn't in good shape when it arrived, it needed a new mains transformer, new power tube sockets, and new pots, so I decided to just remove everything except for the PT and choke. I installed a new Tube Town Mains Transformer, which I really like.
The amp also needed new power switches, because the old ones were really sketchy, the STBY for example sometimes just didn't turn off lol

It's now got a completely new life as a high gain amp that can do all kinds of crunch and high gain sounds.

There are gain boost, mid-shift, bass-shift, and attack push-pulls, as well as a fully bypassable tube fx loop with send and return controls.

After getting my first Mesa Boogie last week, I thought that I might even prefer it to Marshalls, but now that I've played my Marshalls again, the Boogie can't keep up for my sound preference haha

I can definitely tell you stuffed a big presence cap in, I love what it does to the top end and the low end - just makes an amp sound huge.

killer job man it sounds great 👍

Thanks!
It's still 25k/4k7/.1 presence though haha
Do you notice any change with 25k over the 5k presence? Debating changing mine over.

still Superbass 0.02uF coupling and clicking in a smaller cap to reduce bass? I think I have 0.0047 in mine and it works, just not thumpy. I’m afraid to add more as I don’t want it to get tubby when trying to solo lol

Do you notice any change with 25k over the 5k presence? Debating changing mine over.

still Superbass 0.02uF coupling and clicking in a smaller cap to reduce bass? I think I have 0.0047 in mine and it works, just not thumpy. I’m afraid to add more as I don’t want it to get tubby when trying to solo lol
I prefer the 25k, it seemed smoother when I compared it.

The preamp doesn't have any Marshall DNA left haha
The bass shift is changing the tone stack

For it not to have any Marshall DNA left you did an amazing job making it still sound like a Marshall! Amp sounds huge through recording which is saying something! Killer job man.

Sounds great! Is that a Depth/Resonance control at far left? I'm trying decide if I like bass boost ON with Depth lower or bass boost OFF and Depth higher. I think I like bass boost off/Depth higher a little better but it's always nice to have more available.

For it not to have any Marshall DNA left you did an amazing job making it still sound like a Marshall! Amp sounds huge through recording which is saying something! Killer job man.
Thanks! Yeah, it's always funny how that happens haha

Sounds great! Is that a Depth/Resonance control at far left? I'm trying decide if I like bass boost ON with Depth lower or bass boost OFF and Depth higher. I think I like bass boost off/Depth higher a little better but it's always nice to have more available.
Yeah, it's a Depth control with push-pull attack switch. I don't know which I prefer, which is why I just put in the option to have both :D

Go back to the Boogie and I bet your opinion will change once again, haha. Apples and Oranges IMO. I think the Boogies do high gain and cleans a little better, while the Marshall's have the crunch tone to die for, and the modded Marshall's are pretty damn good at high gain too, just a much different kinda high gain than a Mesa Mark series.

Back