Matrix GT1000FX Amp failure and Customer Support

AlterTerraGTR

Sorry but this thread is quite long... Matrix might be a good Amp but this has not been a good experience.
I bought the Matrix GT1000FX 2U Amp last October 2021. Being very excited that I was going to have a product that had been getting RAVE reviews for being used with the Fractal Product line. And quite a history as well. When I received the unit I unpacked it and immediately installed it in my rack with my Axe FX 3. Excited as hell to hear what all the fuss was about. Powered up the rack and absolutely nothing from the GT1000FX no power no lights... nothing. Sooo... I tried to contact Matrix to no avail. I later found, after quite a bit of research, a contact here in the US ( Andrew Hunt ) whom, I found out, was indeed the designer and owner of Matrix Amplification. I first found his email and sent a message to him about the problem I was having. No response. After some more research I found a telephone number and called it. Low and behold someone answered, it was the man himself Andrew (Andy) Hunt. After speaking with him for a bit and doing some troubleshooting over the phone it turned out to be the voltage selector on the inside of the chassis that was set wrong. Opened up the unit and set the voltage selector to the proper setting for US use and away we go.
About a week later I was working with my system, creating some presets in the AxeFX3 and the amp started acting funny. The "A" channel started cutting in and out and then went out all of the way. Soo... I called Andy again and explained what was happening. After a long lecture, about how 99% of this type issue has been a cable issue, I heeded his advise and purchased all new cables and tried again... NOTHING! I contacted him again and explained it all to him again. And again the lecture about cabling. I assured him that I had tried everything. He agreed to have the amp returned for repair. After about two weeks I contacted him to find out the status of my amp and he told me that the amp was working perfectly and there was no issue that he could find. Again he mentioned how 99% of the issues found are due to bad cabling. Again I reiterated that I had replaced all cables with new ones and there was no change. I requested a new amp for a replacement and after going back and forth he finally agreed. Or so I think he did because there is really no way to tell as none of these amps have a serial number or a manufacture date or anyway to identify that it is different from any other one. So I receive the "NEW" amp back about a week later (3 weeks without the amp) and it seems to be working fine. Woohoo we are back we are back! So I finally get to finish polishing my presets for use with the Matrix and start using it LIVE! Sounds fantastic! I do 2 shows with my band and it is amazing!

Everything is working perfectly for about a month or so. It is now late February 2022 and I am creating a new preset for a brand new song the band has written. I get it completed and shut everything down that night. I get up the next morning and go to turn everything back on to check how the preset sounds after having a little time to let my ears rest and the amp does not power up. No lights nothing. Well Crap, here we go again. So I try all weekend to get a hold of Andy and no response. I finally get him on the phone on Monday and we go through everything and he determines that the power supply has failed. So I send it back again. Another 2 weeks go by, from the time I shipped it, and try contacting him to get a status update no answer. The next day I get a short email stating that the amp has been shipped back to me. No tracking number offered. Another week goes by and I finally get the amp back. Again it is working fine. Three more shows later and about 2 months and guess what... the "A" channel starts cutting in and out again. It happens during a show. I don't realize it because my band uses IEM system. The house sound man comes upon stage in between songs and tells me what is going on. My setup is direct out to FOH (stereo) plus 2 mics on my cab (an amazing sound). I told him to just shut down the mics and send me a feed through the monitor for feedback purposes. Done!

Again I contact Andy at Matrix but this time I just simply tell him that I am at a point of distrust with his product. Again he asks if I have checked my Cables. Really... again with the cables? This time he makes me pay for the shipping to send it back. again after a week of him having the amp I have heard nothing. I contact him to no avail. Then finally I see that a payment has been made to Paypal account but for only $720.00. I paid $849.00 plus shipping and plus return shipping. I try to contact him and he responds that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the amp and that the chassis is all scratched as well as the faceplate and that he charged me to replace the chassis as it was not taken care of. I should have taken pictures of that unit before I shipped it. I sent it back in the original box with no scratches of any kind to that unit. But as I said before there is no way to prove anything because these units have no serial number or any way to identify them.

So in summary I will say this:
Matrix Amps sound amazing!
Matrix has a very poor customer support experience!
The owner can be quite insulting and protective of his product.
And most importantly; the quality of the product DOES NOT LIVE UP TO THE HYPE!!
OKAY RANT OVER SORRY IT WAS SO LONG...

Attachments

• 20220308_201212.jpg
    20220308_201212.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 151
  • 20220303_102019.jpg
    20220303_102019.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 87
Damn... I just bought an Axe fx 3 Mark II earlier this year and haven't been able to buy a matrix because the gt1600fx has been out of stock for a long while now. Ive been thinking of selling my axe because of this and also because Ive seen many stories like yours regarding matrix, which sucks because Matrix seems to be the only option for a power amp for the axe... I also don't even know what type of metal amp I would want either if I sold the axe. Im kinda stuck right now lol

Damn... I just bought an Axe fx 3 Mark II earlier this year and haven't been able to buy a matrix because the gt1600fx has been out of stock for a long while now. Ive been thinking of selling my axe because of this and also because Ive seen many stories like yours regarding matrix, which sucks because Matrix seems to be the only option for a power amp for the axe... I also don't even know what type of metal amp I would want either if I sold the axe. Im kinda stuck right now lol
Don't get rid of your AxeFX3 dude, that will be a mistake of great proportion. I am currently back to using my Crown XLS amp and it works just fine. I was using it before I bought the Matrix amp and was happy with it then. But as all things go I was chasing the rabbit and had to have the Matrix amp. It is a good amp. I had a bad situation and just decided that it was not worth all of the trouble I was going through. But I do know several people that swear by them and have had ZERO issues. Basically what you are looking for is an amp that will not color the sound that you create.
Sorry for your troubles, bud. Come over to the dark side of Tube amps.
Got that covered too my friend. Just really don't want to lug around the weight anymore.

Attachments

• 20210404_144839.jpg
    20210404_144839.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
Don't get rid of your AxeFX3 dude, that will be a mistake of great proportion. I am currently back to using my Crown XLS amp and it works just fine. I was using it before I bought the Matrix amp and was happy with it then. But as all things go I was chasing the rabbit and had to have the Matrix amp. It is a good amp. I had a bad situation and just decided that it was not worth all of the trouble I was going through. But I do know several people that swear by them and have had ZERO issues. Basically what you are looking for is an amp that will not color the sound that you create.

Got that covered too my friend. Just really don't want to lug around the weight anymore.
Yeah I don't want to sell it but then I do because its frustrating trying to find other options. Well maybe ill look into crown and SD powerstage as SpiderWars mentioned. Matrix is going to be out of stock for a long while they told me on the 1600 so I just need something to play on now. Im tired of playing acoustic on my electrics. hahaha.

Ill look into it! Ive seen one video Ola did about it. Ill do some more research.
The rackmount Powerstage 700 doesn't have all the features of the 200. I assume they will update the 700 with the features of the 200 at some point but just guessing.

The rackmount Powerstage 700 doesn't have all the features of the 200. I assume they will update the 700 with the features of the 200 at some point but just guessing.
Ohhhhh okay. I didn't know that about the 700 or the 200. I thought they were all relatively similar or made around the same time.

Last edited:
The only difference that I saw was; 1 no headphone jack, and, 2 the 700 is stereo not mono

Yeah I don't want to sell it but then I do because its frustrating trying to find other options. Well maybe ill look into crown and SD powerstage as SpiderWars mentioned. Matrix is going to be out of stock for a long while they told me on the 1600 so I just need something to play on now. Im tired of playing acoustic on my electrics. hahaha.
Truth is: All you need is an amp that does not color the sound. You can get a good sound out of just about any power amp. I have used several and achieved equally good tone from them ALL. My dilemma was getting the same sound on all three plains, IEM send, FOH send and my stage volume. Solution; create a tone with FOH in mind, the audience comes first. The second is the IEM system (for me) really not much change needed there. If FOH is good so to will the IEM's be. The real rabbit hole is the live sound on stage. After getting FOH and IEM's dialed in I always thought the stage sound was a bit muddy. I tried all kinds of different things and they all worked to some degree. Then it finally dawned on me that all that was needed for stage sound was enough so as to get the "amp in the room" control, i.e. sustain and controlled feedback. This doesn't require a fancy rig at all. The only thing needed for that is a feed to a monitor from FOH. Once I realized all of this life got much simpler. Guitar playing has always been a give and take balance on sound. As a guitar player most all of us are destined to be "Tone Junkies". Even when we used all Tube amps we are always looking for the best amp/cab combination. Lesson: Don't over think it just get a power amp and start having FUN. No matter what you choose, if you know how to dial in a tone, you will be able to make it sound amazing. Doesn't really matter what everyone else does, you do you and all will be good!

Last edited:
Ill look into it! Ive seen one video Ola did about it. Ill do some more research.

For my FM9 rig I’m going into two 2x12’s, I use a PS-170 and a TC Electronics BAM 200 to power them and love ‘em. Whatever tweaks I’ve had to do to accommodate a stage/room I just tweak the EQ’s on the power amps and don’t even fuck with my presets. And really, if I were to buy both again, I’d probably get two of the TC’s because they’re like $160.

247C5619-BCEB-4441-A285-4FC10636C05C.jpeg

Truth is: All you need is an amp that does not color the sound. You can get a good sound out of out of just about any power amp. I have used several and achieved equally good tone from them ALL. My dilemma was getting the same sound on all three plains, IEM send, FOH send and my stage volume. Solution create a tone with FOH in mind the audience comes first. The second is the IEM system (for me) really not much change needed there. If FOH is good so to will the IEM's be. The real rabbit hole is the live sound on stage. After getting FOH and IEM's dialed in I always thought the stage sound was a bit muddy. I tried all kinds of different things and they all worked to some degree. Then it finally dawned on me that all that was needed for stage sound was enough so as to get the "amp in the room" control, i.e. sustain and controlled feedback. This doesn't require a fancy rig at all. The only thing needed for that is a feed to a monitor from FOH. Once I realized all of this life got much simpler. Guitar playing has always been a give and take balance on sound. As a guitar player most all of us are destined to be "Tone Junkies". Even when we used all Tube amps we are always looking for the best amp/cab combination. Lesson: Don't over think it just get a power amp and start having FUN. No matter what you choose, if you know how to dial in a tone, you will be able to make it sound amazing. Doesn't really matter what everyone else does, you do you and all will be good!
Yeah man Ill take your advice. I just want to hear some noise now. Ive been thinking and searching for too long now.

For my FM9 rig I’m going into two 2x12’s, I use a PS-170 and a TC Electronics BAM 200 to power them and love ‘em. Whatever tweaks I’ve had to do to accommodate a stage/room I just tweak the EQ’s on the power amps and don’t even fuck with my presets. And really, if I were to buy both again, I’d probably get two of the TC’s because they’re like $160.

View attachment 128908
Thanks for the input boss. sweet setup.

The 200 is a mono amp with 2 speaker outs and a headphone jack. The 700 is a Stereo Amp. 2 ins and outs just no headphone jack. Both have Bass Middle and Treble tone controls as well as Presence.

Back