McNaught VSC new builds in progress

steve_k

What's better than having a new David Thomas McNaught VSC being built?

Two of them! :rock: :rock: :rock:

If you want to follow the guitars being built and the craftsmanship that goes into David's guitars, you can check the link here:

http://www.clubmcnaught.com/index.php?topic=2203.0

The guy is an awesome luthier and I highly recommend you look into one of his guitars if you aren't jiving with production stuff. For just a little more money, you can step up to something custom made just for you and will play like butter!

Steve

Stramm8":3vme2ku0 said:
What color is the quilt top gonna be?

Haven't decided yet.....

They are all spec'd out, except the finish. David will get them ready for the paint shop, then I'll decide. That's the cool part of it - decide on the model, neck spec's, routing, etc. and get it going. Then, decide on colors, finish, electronics. Saves the brain drain from happening all at one time.

Steve

I've always liked that guy's work. I tried to color match one of his guitars to a custom Brian Moore MC1 that I have in royal blue.

How many do you have total Steve?

Is it McNaught that is or was doing the 'set-thru' neck joints ? Basically its like a Gibson set in neck joint but the tenon extends way into the body, up to the bridge pickup area.

thegame":2pe0sbuo said:
Is it McNaught that is or was doing the 'set-thru' neck joints ? Basically its like a Gibson set in neck joint but the tenon extends way into the body, up to the bridge pickup area.

Yeah, that's the way David does them. You can check the pics and see that the tenon extends damn near the length of the body. Plus, he contours the heel too which makes the upper registers very handy.

Steve

Looks nice. I've been thinking about another LP.... How to the sound compared to a Gibson custom shop? What's the typical build time? What pick-up options does he have?

mhenson42":qkype3sp said:
Looks nice. I've been thinking about another LP.... How to the sound compared to a Gibson custom shop? What's the typical build time? What pick-up options does he have?

David will get whatever pick ups you like or you can send him some. I sent him two sets of MCP Detroiters. But, he markets and likes WCR and Rio Grande PU's and generally stocks all that. He uses WCR's wiring.

If you play one of these, you will never think about buying another LP. I like mine with a 25" scale neck/22 frets. The neck and action is really great, in comparison to LP's and a very balanced guitar. Can't say enough about his fiddles.

Depending on his backlog, it generally takes 3-4 months. He will start one for you with a $1500 deposit. Balance due when it hits his paint shop. Have a look on the link in the OP at the quilt and flame tops he picked for me. The bookmatching is great.

Steve

^Cool. I'm a PRS guy at heart and love the 25 inch scale. I have 2 SCs which play like a dream, but my R8 has a slight edge in the tone department. A custom LP-style alternative may be a good route. There's a shop in Houston that has some McNaughts stock, I need to make a trip over there to play a few.

mhenson42":1zo8y6du said:
^Cool. I'm a PRS guy at heart and love the 25 inch scale. I have 2 SCs which play like a dream, but my R8 has a slight edge in the tone department. A custom LP-style alternative may be a good route. There's a shop in Houston that has some McNaughts stock, I need to make a trip over there to play a few.

I was checking out his site yesterday, he will do 24 3/4, 25, or 25 1/2 scale length. No upcharge.

http://mcnaughtguitars.com/vintage_single_cut.html

mhenson42":3cl8bkzn said:

Here's a pic of my last one. I prefer my necks without the neck binding, so he does them for me like that and with the florescent side dots, which are pretty cool. Not as cool as the LED's on my Ken Lawrence Explorer, but they come in handy on a darker stage.

Steve

DSCN1911.jpg

Back