Mesa Boogie power amps

paulyc

To those that have experience, what other than the obvious, are the differences between the tones of the Mesa Simul 295, Simul 395, and the Strategy 500 ? I own the Simul 295 now (got it cheap, $220...had a bad cap on the A side, $20 fix with my tech) and I have the opportunity to buy either the 395 or 500...

Thanks

paulyc":16njlgh4 said:
To those that have experience, what other than the obvious, are the differences between the tones of the Mesa Simul 295, Simul 395, and the Strategy 500 ? I own the Simul 295 now (got it cheap, $220...had a bad cap on the A side, $20 fix with my tech) and I have the opportunity to buy either the 395 or 500...

Thanks

Sorry, no personal experience here. However, I have researched this myself and highly recommend using the search feature over at the Boogie Board https://forum.grailtone.com/. There is a wealth of info there that may help.

From my reading what I gathered was that the 395 has some extra power-scaling type functionality and there are differences in what tube types they will accept. I am fairly certain you are limited to 6L6 + 6550/KT88 in the Strategy 500, where the 395 can except 6L6 + EL34/6L6/possibly others with simple bias resistor changes.

Best of luck to you, I don't think you will be disappointed in either...if your goal is to demolish city blocks with absurd volumes :LOL: :LOL:

Racerxrated":1b18suh7 said:
My old Strategy 400 would accept EL 34s in the first row of tube slots towards the back. But, I ran with Mesa Sylvania 6l6 throughout. It was a steamroller slaving a C+.
Great power amp.
L5V4N6D.jpg

Whats the price,if you dont mind me asking, on the 500 your looking at.
There was one for sale here that had no tubes,wasn't working and was asking $900.

1000, but it comes with an A/DA MP-2, a didgitech multi effect and a rack, and an extra set of tubes.
The 395 is 700

paulyc":ycn9vusu said:
1000, but it comes with an A/DA MP-2, a didgitech multi effect and a rack, and an extra set of tubes.
The 395 is 700
That's a good deal, those 500s are rare plus 12 extra power tubes? Go for the 500.

Hey Dave, yes, I remember you saying that... but I don’t have access to a 400, I have the 295 already, and the 395 and 500 are available to me.

I've owned the 395 and now own the 500.

Both are awesome power amps, 395 being a little smoother and warmer/darker sounding not as much punch. The 500 is tighter and more bold sounding, that just sounds huge. I used both for my stereo rig over SS power amps and love the tone.

psychodave":3dfe0lr9 said:
I have the Strategy 400 and I'd take it over all of the other Boogie power amps.

This right here, I have one as well.

It was such a well designed poweramp that audiophiles began using them for non guitar rigs and Mesa decided to release the Mesa Baron based on the 400 series power amp.

The Strategy 500 is an absolute beast. I’ve had a few over years. Despite the wattage, it doesn’t have to be punishingly loud to sound good. I paid between $800-$1000 for the ones I’ve had, so that’s a good deal with extra tubes.

JDH":31f684mj said:
http://mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/Strategy 500 Stereo.pdf Strategy 500 Manual
http://mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/Switch Track 395.pdf Simul 395 Manual

So, Mesa calls for all 6L6 in the 395 but I recall seeing people doing something with other tube types...more research needed.

Also, the 395 is SimulClass, which does effect the feel IME and the general consensus. A little more "bubbly"/not-quite-as-stiff.

SIMUL 395
The 395 uses four 6L6's per channel in our unique and patented Simul-Class™ circuit. The
Simul 395 - weighing in at 95 watts per side - boasts a smooth, mysterious and liquid
response that many players find captivating for lead playing. This is the seductive
smouldering Simul-Class sound with its uniquely vocal quality. Rear-panel Class A switches
- a hold-over from the Simul 295 - reduce power by cutting off one pair of output tubes,
though you may prefer the somewhat similar sounding Half Drive function on the front. Even
though the 395's major talent lies in its trademark Simul howl, its clean sound is crisp and
bright with plenty of headroom for even the biggest clubs.
----------------------------------------------------------
The Strategy 500, at just under 200 watts per side, is the world's most three-dimensional
sounding musical amplifier. The 500 uses four 6L6's plus two 6550's in each channel. Its
shimmering clarity and bright dynamic headroom make it the choice for players
concentrating on their clean sound ... or playing the biggest venues. This amp is fast, punchy
and bold! And it’s greater articulation enables it to be layered with effects and still retain a
focused sound.

I agree mostly with how Mesa is describing how there power amps sound in the manuals.

I would only use NOS glass in anything I gave a shit about, it's a PITA and expen$ive I know, but usually worth it.

paulyc":378ettp2 said:
I would only use NOS glass in anything I gave a shit about, it's a PITA and expen$ive I know, but usually worth it.

not my experience, i have 100+ nos tubes with all the good stuff and sometimes you find a cheap 12ax7 chinese that work/sounds better than anything else,

fryette trust the sovtek kt88 for his stuff but sadly they are discontinued also the strat500 needs tubes not too tall

EXPcustom":1mv3v3t9 said:
psychodave":1mv3v3t9 said:
I have the Strategy 400 and I'd take it over all of the other Boogie power amps.

This right here, I have one as well.

It was such a well designed poweramp that audiophiles began using them for non guitar rigs and Mesa decided to release the Mesa Baron based on the 400 series power amp.
How does the M180 or M190 compare?

JMP2203":mmcms9uu said:
which 6550 are you guys using in your strat500? i need to retube mine

I just put in a new quad of tung sol's 6550 in my 500
They fit, sound great and are a reproduction of the original Mesa tubes

Having had the 295, 395, 400 and 500 all in my possesion, I can only advise to get the 400 or 500. These two are excelent.. and sound huge. Especially the 500, with dual channels, deep and halve power switches are the absolute top in power amps IMHO.

Back