Mesa Dual Calibers - tell me about them

Juggernaut

got a line on a DC-10, I've heard really good things about them, but thought I'd ask my boogie boys here on RT about 'em, anyone wanna share their experiences with them?

My first tube amp was a DC-10 2x12 combo. It had great cleans and the gain channel sits somewhere between a Rectifier and a Mark IV. I later had a DC-5 head for quite a while. It was one of the best amps. It sounded great live and on tape.

The only thing that I have to say that is bad is that there were two versions. One had metal power and standby switches and the other had plastic. The ones with the plastic switches didn't sound as good to my ears.

I have got a DC-5 combo, and I fucking love the thing. Seriously the best amp I've owned, and I actually prefer it to many other more expensive, more complicated amps. I was ready to ditch it for the Mark V or Roadster, and I just prefer the DC. That's highly subjective and I just happen to prefer the DC's voicing, but it definitely can hang with the more expensive amps, IMHO. This is unlike the F series or Express series, which I feel don't live up to the DC's or any of the other amps in their line. I've owned an F-50 as well, and the DC just sounds better, and is more versatile.

I never got the whole sounds like a cross between a Recto and MKIV thing. I've owned 3 Recto's and neither of my DC-10's sounded like a Recto. Think MKIII Lead channel, MKIV clean channel. Great amps.

I have generally read very good things about the Mesa DC series, yet I don't see them discussed much on the forums, nor do they seem to be selling for IIC+ prices. Just curious why that might be?

Owned a DC-5 for many many years loved that thing. Then one day I had to have something different and its practically ruined my life. Anyways very thick tone kind of reminded me of the Black album by Metallica when scooped. Sounds nothing like a recto it's so chubby and rich sounding. Almost to much for me now at this stage of my tone taste. I owned the metal toggle bought it the same month I seen it in guitar world back in the early 90's passed up a IIC+ for it. They wanted 75 dollars more for the used IIC+. One thing to note if you end up with one its all about balance you want a very tight sounding cab to balance it out.

very cool, sounds AWESOME..... worked out a deal on one last night, just wanted reassurance I made the right choice ;)

Juggernaut":1y3njzfu said:
very cool, sounds AWESOME..... worked out a deal on one last night, just wanted reassurance I made the right choice ;)
You wont be dissapointed. Had a DC5. Awesome amp. Close to a Mark III. These amps seem to have been forgotten about for some reason ive never understood.

very cool, I've tried over the last year to find a Marshall that I like, I just can't, alot of people get KILLER tones out of them, and I really think they sound GREAT, but just not for me, I'm more of a Mesa guy, so I offed the Marshall for this. was looking for a Mark III/IV or TOV, and came across this, checked 'em out on the boogie board, and decided fuck it, lets try it out. I know a guy in Phoenix who's been playing DC-10s for years and LOVES it....

If it's anything like a Mark III lead channel, and a the clean is as nice as everyone says, I should be VERY happy, that was my biggest (and only) bitch about the Mark III was the clean channel.

i'm jealous!, those amps have always been intriguing to me, plus i've heard them and they sound AMAZING, so have fun hoss!

Juggernaut":xvu7q9oj said:
If it's anything like a Mark III lead channel, and a the clean is as nice as everyone says, I should be VERY happy, that was my biggest (and only) bitch about the Mark III was the clean channel.
:confused:

The DC series are great amps. I think the Recto reference is due to the fact that the DC's lead channel is more aggressive than the Mark IV's.

My buddy has a DC-5 with the plastic switches. That is one of the worst sounding amps I've ever played.

Maybe there's something wrong with it. :confused:

SFW":238bnncw said:
The DC series are great amps. I think the Recto reference is due to the fact that the DC's lead channel is more aggressive than the Mark IV's.
Yeah it can do metal in spades

Back