Mesa Dual Calibers - tell me about them

Badronald":340nzh76 said:
My buddy has a DC-5 with the plastic switches. That is one of the worst sounding amps I've ever played.

Maybe there's something wrong with it. :confused:

The ones with the plastic switches had a fizz/fuzz that I just couldn't dial out. I had a DC-10 and a DC-5, both with the metal switches and they were great. I would happily buy another one in a second. I did find out that they seem to like SED power tubes, for my ears anyway.

orangekick":1wa88wkh said:
Badronald":1wa88wkh said:
My buddy has a DC-5 with the plastic switches. That is one of the worst sounding amps I've ever played.

Maybe there's something wrong with it. :confused:

The ones with the plastic switches had a fizz/fuzz that I just couldn't dial out. I had a DC-10 and a DC-5, both with the metal switches and they were great. I would happily buy another one in a second. I did find out that they seem to like SED power tubes, for my ears anyway.

I have the plastic switch model, and it sounds great. I don't find it fizzy/fuzzy or anything, but maybe I just like that tone. I've played a metal switch one, and I couldn't really tell much difference, tbh.

Had someone come and grab a cab from me (maybe the GB GFlex 2x12) and demo'd it with a DC5 w/EQ...amp flat out killed, poor mans Mark series for sure, perhaps a tad more agressive..loved the voicing options on it and nice clean channel.

The one I'm getting has the metal switches.... here's a crappy cell pic.

dc10a.jpg

Juggernaut":3pruha06 said:
very cool, I've tried over the last year to find a Marshall that I like, I just can't, alot of people get KILLER tones out of them, and I really think they sound GREAT, but just not for me, I'm more of a Mesa guy, so I offed the Marshall for this. was looking for a Mark III/IV or TOV, and came across this, checked 'em out on the boogie board, and decided fuck it, lets try it out. I know a guy in Phoenix who's been playing DC-10s for years and LOVES it....

If it's anything like a Mark III lead channel, and a the clean is as nice as everyone says, I should be VERY happy, that was my biggest (and only) bitch about the Mark III was the clean channel.
Weird, I think the Mark III has a great clean channel. I just think it sounds like crap when the lead is dialed in well.

I remember playing the DC's in the stores in the late 90's. I didnt like them back then, but thinks might be different now.

The actual Mesa literature said Mark IV clean channel, Recto gain channel.

That was my problem, if I wanted a great clean the lead channel suffered, and visa versa. From the clips I've found on these should be about what I'm looking for, the Mark-ish tone on the lead channel with a good clean.

I had a DC5 w/ metal switches. Rhythm channel was great.Awesome cleans and semi overdriven tones. Lead channel was very fizzy. Could not get it to sound good no matter what I did. Also the loop sucks.spend 10 minutes and do the loop mod.I had to sell it. Got the Stiletto II and never looked back. :rock:

Hmm... none of the clips I've found sound fizzy at all.

Doesn't really matter either way, the guy I'm getting it from wants me to sell it back to him if I don't like it, so I can take the cash and pick up a Mark III if I don't, Just really hoping I do like it as much as some of the guys on here. either way I'll end up with a Boogie that makes me happy. ;)

Grab it. IMHO the DC series are way underrated amps in the MESA line. I have the widebody DC-5 combo (50 version, DC10 is 100w) and the thing flat out rocks and is extremely versatile. It has a great clean channel and the footswitcable EQ adds a nice boost.

Juggernaut,

Not sure if you're into mid gain/crunch type tones, but there is a pull knob on the clean channel that adds a crunch tone...

yeah, I've been looking at his posts, and mods.... if I REALLY like this amp, I may have to look into some of those....

Ill add one thing...Tweaking it is very weird. When you start messing with the EQ, put everything at 10 and start cutting out what you dont need. Then fine tune with the graph. The EQ actually works unlike the mark III so you dont have to favor the graph as much. :yes: Sounds strange and wrong but that was the way I got some killer tones out of my old DC-5.

Cool thanks, I was kinda wondering if it dialed in like a Mark series or something completely different.

The other guitarist in my band uses a DC10 and his GEQ is different than the GEQ on his MKIII. But the way he dials it in it sounds the same. And he dimes the gain on the lead channels of both, and again, the sound alike.

As far as Monstatone goes, he's the real deal. I sent my 89 .50Cal to him for a re-cap, and new Output Transformer and his work is exceptional and affordable.

scottcrud":3gw3xnxr said:
Juggernaut,

Not sure if you're into mid gain/crunch type tones, but there is a pull knob on the clean channel that adds a crunch tone...

that gets a more marshally ac/dc tone for me. Also takes a pedal well in that channe to get that overdriven marshally tonesl. The DC-5 is the only Mesa amp I own and it can be a pain to dial in and get used to tweaking to your ears. One pointer is the mids and gains seem to go hand in hand and affect each other. i don't reccommend diming everything to start as that will sound like ass ;)

Here's the manual http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Dual% ... 0DC-10.pdf
there are some sample settings towrds the end as well as a few blanks templates to write you settings down. I usually just use my ears to tweak and dont care ont he #'s but remembering them can be a pain and those sheets help when you finds a setting you really like.

Mesa claims the lead channel is based off the recto but I don't hear that. The amp has a nice, smooth glassy type lead tone. For somereason I always play Santannas Europa when I use tmy DC-5 lol.

I also agree with whoever said it hangs with the big boys, its the cheapest amp that I own (paid like $550 used on ebay years ago( but pound for pound, best bang for the buck in any amp I ever bought.

I've been looking at the DC-5 combo's, as I love the Mark IV, but can't afford to get one right now. More important things for my money to go towards, sadly. What's the usual going rate for both the head/combos?

The DC-5 is 6L6, right? But can it take EL-34's as well?

Around 550-700

They only are able to use 6L6s to my knowledge. Wish you could throw 34s in them. Im sure eurotubes has an EL34 set for them

Back