Mesa Dual Rec Rev F Questions

reverymike":2pwxw801 said:
LPMojoGL":2pwxw801 said:
reverymike":2pwxw801 said:
I sold my 92 Rev F last summer for $1600. I think that's on the high end though.

Wow, that's pretty good. Some folks on Reverb are asking over 2g. Crazy.
Do you ever miss it?

I don't really miss it, but I have other amps that I used more than I ever used the Dual Recto. It did sound amazing on the orange hi gain channel with an EP Booster in front. Magic tone! But that was really the only tone I'd want to use out of it. I have a 101b and a couple vintage Marshalls that got used WAY more often. Plus a SLO and '67 Super Reverb to round things out. I knew the $1600 was a great price to get for it, so I let it go. I only paid $750 for it about 15 year earlier.

Nice! You have a great amp collection. That Super Reverb is a beast.

I think it all depends on the rarity and what people are willing to pay. I had a Rev C. that I was the original owner and sold it for a pretty high price, but thats what it was worth for me to sell it. If there are 10 Rev Cs listed and I'm 1k away from everyone else then yea, I guess I should expect it to sit. I had a guy tell me on Craigslist that it was worth $850 and to stop smoking crack... That was pretty funny actually! :LOL: :LOL:

UberschallEL34":3kp5t3y3 said:
LPMojoGL":3kp5t3y3 said:
UberschallEL34":3kp5t3y3 said:
Steve K had (or maybe still has) a super clean one for sale on Reverb. They're worth whatever the price is as they sound incredible. I have a fine example of the Rev F and a Triple Multi-Watt. I can tell you they're definitely different - both are useful in their own way. $1500 or under is worth the money if ask me ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I've watched many of your videos and know we've had some amps in common. The Multi-Watt I had was pretty versatile, with some highly underrated cleans and crunch. The gain channels were bright, if not so tight without some volume and a boost. Didn't really sound like the early 2000s to me though.
We both have the SS100 right now. I really wanna try the Butterslax.
How does your Rev F fit in with your collection? Is it your go-to for anything?

I was thinking I'd have to set the Multi-Watt to vintage or raw to sound like the Rev F, but in fact I have to put the red and orange channels of the Triple MW to modern to hang with the aggressiveness of the Rev F, so if I wanna play lots of chugging riffs the Rev F is where it's at - and the Butterslax. More thrash riffs I'd play on the Fryette D120. I EQ the Rectos with my ears not my eyes, and rarely turn the presence past 9:00 - gain on the Triple I rarely run over 12:00 with a boost in front. I'd rate the Rev F up there with some of the best amps I've owned or heard in person.

Meh. You should sell that shitty multi-watt triple. :LOL: :LOL:

mhenson42":q0178guw said:
UberschallEL34":q0178guw said:
LPMojoGL":q0178guw said:
UberschallEL34":q0178guw said:
Steve K had (or maybe still has) a super clean one for sale on Reverb. They're worth whatever the price is as they sound incredible. I have a fine example of the Rev F and a Triple Multi-Watt. I can tell you they're definitely different - both are useful in their own way. $1500 or under is worth the money if ask me ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I've watched many of your videos and know we've had some amps in common. The Multi-Watt I had was pretty versatile, with some highly underrated cleans and crunch. The gain channels were bright, if not so tight without some volume and a boost. Didn't really sound like the early 2000s to me though.
We both have the SS100 right now. I really wanna try the Butterslax.
How does your Rev F fit in with your collection? Is it your go-to for anything?

I was thinking I'd have to set the Multi-Watt to vintage or raw to sound like the Rev F, but in fact I have to put the red and orange channels of the Triple MW to modern to hang with the aggressiveness of the Rev F, so if I wanna play lots of chugging riffs the Rev F is where it's at - and the Butterslax. More thrash riffs I'd play on the Fryette D120. I EQ the Rectos with my ears not my eyes, and rarely turn the presence past 9:00 - gain on the Triple I rarely run over 12:00 with a boost in front. I'd rate the Rev F up there with some of the best amps I've owned or heard in person.

Meh. You should sell that shitty multi-watt triple. :LOL: :LOL:

LOL!!!

Metlupass2":lxdvsvoh said:
Looks clean. What did you grab it for unless you're flipping it then no need to share.

Not flipping in the near future. I got a decent deal on it.
This damn thing sounds great. Better than my Multiwatts ever did.

Your lucky, I almost snagged this one couple weeks ago. But don’t need another recto.
And the tolex looked off in the pic.
For metal, my 2017 MW recto sounds like the recto I want for modern stuff.
Congrats on getting it before someone else did. I noticed it sat for a bit.
That amp was real close to me.
I even talked to Justin about getting it haha

Wizard of Ozz":1919zdx3 said:
So you got it! Congrats! The Rev F is great. Takes and loves all sorts of boost pedals too... but doesn't absolutely need them either.

:thumbsup:

Yessir! Thanks for all your help. Pulled the chassis and the original caps are there and date 92.
Played it briefly yesterday. It’s sweet. Used a KTR and Timmy to boost it for tight metally stuff. So mean, so good. You’re right, doesn't need a boost. Instantly found Tool Aenima riffs. Love it. Thanks again for the info.

LunatiBSW":1919zdx3 said:
Your lucky, I almost snagged this one couple weeks ago. But don’t need another recto.

Thanks man. I’m surprised it sat there for 2.5 weeks. I do feel lucky and glad you didnt grab it! The tolex has some normal scuffs, missing the rubber feet on the bottom, feet marks on top from another amp. We must be in close proximity. I’m in Euless.

LunatiBSW":3b0knpwo said:

I told you that Rev F was a good, deal - but at least someone snagged it that will take care of it as well. I'm digging my Rev F as well. As you said though, the Multi-Watt in Modern setting can get close to the F for modern stuff...big mean low end and super clear.

Just a quick update.

I’ve played this amp every day I can since grabbing it and I love it. Thanks again to those that helped me out with wht to look for. Rev F man. It’s that sound! :)

Back